Deciding on an MGW Shifter

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I am considering replacing the OEM shifter after seeing reviews and others talk about how great shifting feels after doing the BG fluid swap. I like the MGW shifters, but I'm having a hard time deciding on what spec to pick. I'm mainly driving my car on the street so I think X-Spec may be a little aggressive. I'll probably stick with the standard one, but then the question comes in do I want low-profile? That's the part I'm going back and forth on. Looks like low-profile has the ball options while the standard has the option for the adapter + OEM knob. I did some searching and didn't find much overall on comparisons.

Looking for feedback on people who have the standard or low-profile. Any preference or major difference in both aside from the 4% difference in throw?
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

ArcsandSparks

Probably wrenching
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Metallic GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm running an x spec, low profile with a flat stick, but drove a few MGW equipped mustangs before purchasing my setup so I'll do my best to describe the difference in feel.

I drove a standard/low profile equipped GT and while the shifter feel was phenomenal, the throw was too close to stock for my taste. The shifter feel was great overall- little to no "slop" during side to side movement and each shift felt direct. Shifts felt the same at 2500 rpm and 7000 rpm, and the resistance that the OEM shifter exhibits when shifted at high rpm was gone.
Shifts feel like you're pulling the shifter into each gear. There is some welcoming tactile feedback when you change gears, unlike the factory shifter that feels like a stick in a bucket of mud.

I drove a standard/standard equipped GT and felt that there isn't a great enough difference in throw to make it worthwhile. Shifting is more direct than the OEM shifter and the slop is gone, but you can't appreciate the precision feel as much because you're still covering 3" of throw. If I was going to keep the car stock and might teach someone to drive a manual trans on it, I'd still skip the standard/standard and get the standard/low profile or the x spec/standard.

OP
OP
Zelek

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I have the Standard with the cylindrical gripper knob. Because of the height, the actual throw distance at the top of the knob is pretty much like stock, but OH is it so much better to shift. With this knob, it has a very similar feel (although a tad stiffer) to a GT350 w/ the Tremec. https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/bmacils-guard-gt-build.36260/page-11#post-2169238
I actually paid attention to how I actually hold the stick and I feel like the grip you picked is the one I should go with over the ball shape. I go from holding the side of it on shifting to even gears and holding the top for the odd gears.

OP
OP
Zelek

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I'm running an x spec, low profile with a flat stick, but drove a few MGW equipped mustangs before purchasing my setup so I'll do my best to describe the difference in feel.

I drove a standard/low profile equipped GT and while the shifter feel was phenomenal, the throw was too close to stock for my taste. The shifter feel was great overall- little to no "slop" during side to side movement and each shift felt direct. Shifts felt the same at 2500 rpm and 7000 rpm, and the resistance that the OEM shifter exhibits when shifted at high rpm was gone.
Shifts feel like you're pulling the shifter into each gear. There is some welcoming tactile feedback when you change gears, unlike the factory shifter that feels like a stick in a bucket of mud.

I drove a standard/standard equipped GT and felt that there isn't a great enough difference in throw to make it worthwhile. Shifting is more direct than the OEM shifter and the slop is gone, but you can't appreciate the precision feel as much because you're still covering 3" of throw. If I was going to keep the car stock and might teach someone to drive a manual trans on it, I'd still skip the standard/standard and get the standard/low profile or the x spec/standard.
Awesome, thank you for the detailed reply. I may go with the low profile / standard because of your feedback. I know the biggest difference is the feel, but even reducing some of the throw I can see being beneficial, especially using the taller cylindrical shift knob. I feel like even with the additional 4% reduction in throw, that isn't much from the standard.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I actually paid attention to how I actually hold the stick and I feel like the grip you picked is the one I should go with over the ball shape. I go from holding the side of it on shifting to even gears and holding the top for the odd gears.
I love it. Shifting is easier/smoother than the regular round knob, which I had first with the MGW, and like you said, the shape is more conducive to how I like to shift (same as you pretty much).

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)
I have the x-spec standard and love it, definitely not to low but again it may depend on the knob you get. Mine is just the ball and I’m glad I didn’t go any higher.

EDIT: but then again if I didn’t have the collar it would be lower which I might like better.

2F0E4545-B15A-433F-9E61-120C297CCD05.jpeg

2B83557B-B1AA-49F3-B1D4-4A99ADDD2B2D.jpeg

OP
OP
Zelek

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I ended up going with the race spec, low profile with the spherical knob and stainless steel stem and top for a little more weight on it.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
^ The only disappointment you will experience is why you didn't do this mod sooner. MGW is the bee's knees.

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
I will likely be doing a shifter next year along with many other mods since my warranty will be up. Would like to sit in a car with one before hand tho. As I’m not sure I need to get one anymore for an acceptable shift feel. Since I had to replace my clutch (with an exedy) and reinstalled a lighter clutch assist spring have haven’t had any grinding or issues really that I can recall. That said I haven’t really done any high rpm 3rd to 4th shifts yet where I noticed other issues before.

Sponsored

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I will likely be doing a shifter next year along with many other mods since my warranty will be up. Would like to sit in a car with one before hand tho. As I’m not sure I need to get one anymore for an acceptable shift feel. Since I had to replace my clutch (with an exedy) and reinstalled a lighter clutch assist spring have haven’t had any grinding or issues really that I can recall. That said I haven’t really done any high rpm 3rd to 4th shifts yet where I noticed other issues before.
Needing to sit in a car with an MGW shifter to see if you like it is like having your 'wing man' come to you at the club and say, "Dude! One of the Vicrtoria's Secret Model's we saw come in earlier wants to take you home.", and you respond, "I need to see what she looks like first." Yes it's that simple of a decision. You won't find many listed for sale. those that are for sale are because the guy swapped to a T56 or went auto or upgraded to an different platform and coudln't use it...and is buying another. MGW is the Lincoln of shifters

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
In the words of @jbird60 when he drove mine: "WOW, it's like a different car"

It has so much more precision and you no longer have the feeling you might break the shifter if you really bang gears. The connectedness goes up significantly.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
I have the x-spec standard and love it, definitely not to low but again it may depend on the knob you get. Mine is just the ball and I’m glad I didn’t go any higher.

EDIT: but then again if I didn’t have the collar it would be lower which I might like better.
Is it lower than stock? I am between the X spec standard and low profile. I currently have a Raceseng ashiko knob that is 2 11/32" (60 mm) tall. Would like to get the x spec standard but I dont want it at stock height.

do you know the height of your knob plus collar?

Sorry for the questions, just trying to get an idea of what im about to buy.

mustank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
hate to jump in, but is the thread on the flat stick version different from the stock shifter threads?

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)
Is it lower than stock? I am between the X spec standard and low profile. I currently have a Raceseng ashiko knob that is 2 11/32" (60 mm) tall. Would like to get the x spec standard but I dont want it at stock height.

do you know the height of your knob plus collar?

Sorry for the questions, just trying to get an idea of what im about to buy.
NP, I don’t know what the factory height was but mine right now is 2-3/4” from the top of the boot/bottom of collar to the top of the knob. Hope this helps. If you haven’t seen this video maybe it will help with your options

Sponsored