Deciding on an MGW Shifter

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I had to adjust mine after the initial adjustment.
Sponsored

NotMarc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1
I had to adjust mine after the initial adjustment.
So I just got mine installed, what adjustments did you need to make? I'm noticing the side to side neutral "gate" having more resistance than I remember.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
So I just got mine installed, what adjustments did you need to make? I'm noticing the side to side neutral "gate" having more resistance than I remember.
Yes the MGW is definitely stiffer side to side. That spring force is one reason why it is a joy to shift (when you go 2-3, you can just push straight forward and it'll go in). The adjustment I made was to get the pin just right so that the 1-2 shift was completely smooth, no nibble. The first setting I had it at had a very slight gate nibble.

NotMarc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1
Yes the MGW is definitely stiffer side to side. That spring force is one reason why it is a joy to shift (when you go 2-3, you can just push straight forward and it'll go in). The adjustment I made was to get the pin just right so that the 1-2 shift was completely smooth, no nibble. The first setting I had it at had a very slight gate nibble.

Thanks for the quick response, and I agree about how direct the shifting is. I am getting a slight bit of resistance when shifting during spirited drives though, so i'm wondering if maybe either the strut arms aren't tightened down enough, or the shift linkage could be not torqued down correctly or something.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the quick response, and I agree about how direct the shifting is. I am getting a slight bit of resistance when shifting during spirited drives though, so i'm wondering if maybe either the strut arms aren't tightened down enough, or the shift linkage could be not torqued down correctly or something.
All gears? It is a bit more effort to shift overall compared to the super light stock shifter.

Sponsored

NotMarc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1
All gears? It is a bit more effort to shift overall compared to the super light stock shifter.
No not all gears it generally slides into gear well. I used to have this issue on the stock shifter when cornering or braking hard that I'd get locked out of gears. I had the same issue on my 15's stock shifter so I chalked it up to being the remote mounted shifter being out of alignment with the transmission somehow or something like that.

I've had the same thing happen twice now downshifting into 3rd on the MGW'd '18, could that be an installation issue or some sort of clutch protection function maybe?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
No not all gears it generally slides into gear well. I used to have this issue on the stock shifter when cornering or braking hard that I'd get locked out of gears. I had the same issue on my 15's stock shifter so I chalked it up to being the remote mounted shifter being out of alignment with the transmission somehow or something like that.

I've had the same thing happen twice now downshifting into 3rd on the MGW'd '18, could that be an installation issue or some sort of clutch protection function maybe?
The only time I've ever gotten locked out with the MGW was 1 to 2 and it was my fault (hit the gate, didn't pull towards me enough). Downshifting to 3rd is a weird one to get locked out in. Not sure on that one. Stock trans fluid?

NotMarc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1
The only time I've ever gotten locked out with the MGW was 1 to 2 and it was my fault (hit the gate, didn't pull towards me enough). Downshifting to 3rd is a weird one to get locked out in. Not sure on that one. Stock trans fluid?

Yeah stock everything else. I think I mean't to type downshifting into 4th and I'm realizing after driving it a good deal the last two days that I'm used to downshifting by pushing the shifter over to the left and with the stiffer centering action that's just not necessary. You're right though, it's just going to take some time to get used to, but it's 1000% more direct and satisfying to shift.

OP
OP
Zelek

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Installing my MGW today and I've hit a wall. The top arm bolt will not come out. I've had two various 10mm wrenches on it, pulled on it in every way I can imagine. I even put a belt around it for leverage and pulled really hard. The bolt will not budge. I even moved the linkage up, down, and side to side with no luck. So I'm stuck now in my garage with a half taken apart stock shifter and can't get past the top arm bolt removal on the OEM shifter.

It's step 9 on the MGW install video.

Last edited:

Rustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rustan
Vehicle(s)
LB '17 GT Premium PP
Installing my MGW today and I've hit a wall. The top arm bolt will not come out. I've had two various 10mm wrenches on it, pulled on it in every way I can imagine. I even put a belt around it for leverage and pulled really hard. The bolt will not budge. I even moved the linkage up, down, and side to side with no luck. So I'm stuck now in my garage with a half taken apart stock shifter and can't get past the top arm bolt removal on the OEM shifter.
You have the bolt loose and are just trying to put it out? If so you need to unbolt your transmission cross member so you can pull down on the tailshaft to buy you the smidge of room needed to get the bolt out.

Sponsored

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang, '17 Mustang, '18 F150, '23 Mustang GT

Ratcheting wrench so you can get it in just the right spot for the most torque? Are you pulling down on the transmission or have something pushing it down to give yourself the small little bit of extra room? Don't recall having an issue breaking it loose, but it was tight getting the length of the bolt out inside the tunnel.

OP
OP
Zelek

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
You have the bolt loose and are just trying to put it out? If so you need to unbolt your transmission cross member so you can pull down on the tailshaft to buy you the smidge of room needed to get the bolt out.
I have the ratcheting 10 mm wrench around the bolt head. I can't break it loose. I can get my hands up there and pull really hard. No dice.

I even tried a leather belt around it for more leverage and still couldn't break it loose. I don't know what else to do aside from dropping it more and getting a socket on it or somehow try to break it loose with a hammer.

OP
OP
Zelek

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I've tried WD-40, tapping it with a hammer, hitting the wrench with a hammer, and pulling numerous times. I still cannot get the front arm bolt loose. If I can't get it loose, I don't know what else to do.

NotMarc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1

If I'm not mistaken I had trouble with that bolt too (honestly a few of them are tough because the clearances are so tight in there). My issue was the ratcheting wrench was cutting into my hand when I put all my strength on it so I got bigger gloves, but I had to actually use a larger 10mm ratcheting wrench than my original. The craftsman I switched to was longer and allowed more torque on the bolt, so if all else fails maybe a trip to sears for a bigger wrench? That extra leverage works wonders on small bolts.

OP
OP
Zelek

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
If I'm not mistaken I had trouble with that bolt too (honestly a few of them are tough because the clearances are so tight in there). My issue was the ratcheting wrench was cutting into my hand when I put all my strength on it so I got bigger gloves, but I had to actually use a larger 10mm ratcheting wrench than my original. The craftsman I switched to was longer and allowed more torque on the bolt, so if all else fails maybe a trip to sears for a bigger wrench? That extra leverage works wonders on small bolts.
Yeah, I think I'm going to see if I can find a larger wrench. The small ones just can't break it loose.
Sponsored