Alvey

IG: @ItsAlvey
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Looking for some insight on how safe it is to run the stock tune with catless long tube headers. Any info would be appreciated. 2018 GT 6-speed stock aside from a catback.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Nope. Will get CEL.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
What exactly is CEL?
Check engine light. It'll eventually start running like crap.

If you want to do any form of cat delete, you need to tune.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
Get a tune. The bang for buck of a tune is much greater than longtubes w/out a tune. If you have E85 in your area get the tune for that. 2018 make solid gains with E85.

Sponsored

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Another vote for a flex fuel tune. An initial must.

OP
OP
Alvey

Alvey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Get a tune. The bang for buck of a tune is much greater than longtubes w/out a tune. If you have E85 in your area get the tune for that. 2018 make solid gains with E85.
I think my concern is less of what my best bang for buck is right now and more of whether or not I can safely run catless headers without a tune

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red GT W/PP, 401a
Vehicle Showcase
I think my concern is less of what my best bang for buck is right now and more of whether or not I can safely run catless headers without a tune
No you can not run catless anything with a factory tune unless you want check engine lights and for the car to run like poo. What they are saying is that since you NEED a tune you might want to get it tuned for e85 at the same time(costs the same) and you will see even bigger gains.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Why stock tune? Seems like a waste to get catless headers if that is all you would do. If you are worried about warranty that much then you probably shouldn’t touch them anyways.

OP
OP
Alvey

Alvey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Why stock tune? Seems like a waste to get catless headers if that is all you would do. If you are worried about warranty that much then you probably shouldn’t touch them anyways.
Who mentioned anything about warranty throughout this entire thread? The motive for running a stock tune shouldn’t matter, I was simply looking for the answer to a question

Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
CEL and unpredictable/poor performance.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
You will get a check engine light for downstream O2's, and the fuel trims will likely be off due to the transport delay being screwed.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Who mentioned anything about warranty throughout this entire thread? The motive for running a stock tune shouldn’t matter, I was simply looking for the answer to a question
It’s a weird question I was just to trying to understand the point of staying on the stock tune and adding headers. Unless you meant you are having them installed/installing them yourself and then driving it on the stock tune to have it dyno tuned?

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
You shouldn't plan on getting headers unless you are going to tune the car. Otherwise, you just paid a lot of money for more noise, possibly less performance, and a rich running engine once that CEL goes off which will take your gas mileage down to probably about 12-15.
Sponsored