Sponsored

Toyota Supra details on Motor Authority

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
So there’s a new competitor coming to the mid-sized sports car segment (Camaro, Mustang, M2....Challenger gets lumped in with large cars in most segmentation). The BMW Supra. Ok, sure, it’ll be sold in Toyota dealerships, but the running gear is all Bimmer.

I’m sure most of you are aware it’s coming and that it is the twin of the upcoming BMW Z4, but this article in MotorAuthority.com pulls info from a parts website that clearly states 2.0T and 3.0T paired with ZF 8HP as the powertrain for the Toyota. Keep in mind that in M4 GTS trim, the 3.0T approaches 500 hp. BMW typically doesn’t allow “partners” to use their latest and greatest, so it’s unlikely the Toyota would get the M4 engine, but they could get the 362 hp and even the 425 hp version of the L6TT.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news...ign-details-features-leaked-via-parts-website
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure where they're getting "B48C" for the top trim, but everything right now is pointing towards B58 making 386 for the US spec car. It'd be great if it was announced with the S58 that is coming for the new M3 and expected in the mid to high 400s.

Plus they're saying that unconfirmed/unsubstantiated things, like a manual, are confirmed. Just because Toyota isn't saying a hard yes or no, doesn't mean it is confirmed.

I'm looking forward to what it really has when it finally gets everything confirmed, could be a nice Cayman competitor.

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4
Wouldn't it be awesome if it had just the BMW subframe with Toyota's drivetrain? Think about what a 3JZ twin turbo would be like. Coupled with DCT.

Ohthatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Auto Lightening Blue
Vehicle Showcase
So it sounds like this thing would land some place between Nissan's 370Z and GTR?

OP
OP
martinjlm

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So it sounds like this thing would land some place between Nissan's 370Z and GTR?
I'm thinking more like between Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 and 370Z. Way closer to 370Z, though, since it's got a lot more power than the twins.

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I'd say between the current Z and GTR, closer to the Z though. If it comes out 10 years after the 370z and performs worse for substantially more money, Toyota really missed the mark. If you're talking about the 4 cylinder version being below the Z, I can see it, but I really hope the 6 goes higher. More power, better chassis, better interior (although we haven't seen much of it really).

OP
OP
martinjlm

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd say between the current Z and GTR, closer to the Z though. If it comes out 10 years after the 370z and performs worse for substantially more money, Toyota really missed the mark. If you're talking about the 4 cylinder version being below the Z, I can see it, but I really hope the 6 goes higher. More power, better chassis, better interior (although we haven't seen much of it really).
There are two trims. One is the 2.0T that will more than likely slot in between BRZ/86 and 370Z. The other is the 3.0T which should perform better than the 370Z, but I doubt seriously if it gets anywhere near the GTR.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Fully agree then, thought you were saying the higher trim would be between the 86 and 370Z which would be disappointing. Just imagine if the next Z is like the new Q60 Black S prototype.

Ohthatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The last Supra could match or slightly best the NSX of the time in the 1/4 mile. Obviously the NSX has moved way up market but it would be great if it can at least run 12's and trap north of 118 MPH.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
The last Supra could match or slightly best the NSX of the time in the 1/4 mile. Obviously the NSX has moved way up market but it would be great if it can at least run 12's and trap north of 118 MPH.
I would say about a 0.00001% chance of it trapping 118+... you're expecting trap speeds of our 526hp car out of a 380-400ish hp car that only weighs a couple hundred pounds less.

Sponsored

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
The last Supra competed head to head with the Vette at the time, although when the C5 came out, it’s new chassis was a game changer. Anything less than a true Corvette competitor will be disappointing, IMO....and I don’t see this thing being a true Corvette competitor, although superior build quality will peak my interest.

Ohthatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I would say about a 0.00001% chance of it trapping 118+... you're expecting trap speeds of our 526hp car out of a 380-400ish hp car that only weighs a couple hundred pounds less.
The Supra name shouldn’t be sullied by having it attached to a car that performs with a much lower set of peers. Anything carrying that name needs to run low 12’s or better to properly carry on the heritage in light of where cars are performing nowadays.

It’d be like SRT reintroducing the Viper as a competitor to the base v8 Mustang/ Camaro. It’s squandering the established respect for the car.

That said, I agree. It looks likely that they’ll get the power to weight ratio too weak to not degrade the Supra name.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
The Supra name shouldn’t be sullied by having it attached to a car that performs with a much lower set of peers. Anything carrying that name needs to run low 12’s or better to properly carry on the heritage in light of where cars are performing nowadays.

It’d be like SRT reintroducing the Viper as a competitor to the base v8 Mustang/ Camaro. It’s squandering the established respect for the car.

That said, I agree. It looks likely that they’ll get the power to weight ratio too weak to not degrade the Supra name.
We need to remember a few things though, in that the 2JZ legend that everyone remembers came out with 300-320ish hp at the time, when everything else had such little power or similar power even in the exotics. Even though of course the technology back then wasn't as good, it was still a lot easier then to get that power out of that engine, then it would be today for example for the Supra to still compete with the exotics that currently almost all have 600-800hp.

Technology is at a point now where cars at lower price points just can't compete at the same level as those costing significantly more. Case in point, the Corvette has always been a giant killer, particularly the Z06/ZR1. But nowadays, the tech in the exotics like the Huracan and 720S has just surpassed the capabilities of budget limited sports cars.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I will wait to see how reliable the BMW engine powertrain turns out to be. My ex's 335i needed $3K if injector and other work at 35K miles or so. Ridiculous.

careature

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt 2017 pp
I will wait to see how reliable the BMW engine powertrain turns out to be. My ex's 335i needed $3K if injector and other work at 35K miles or so. Ridiculous.
My BMW engine was ridiculously unreliable.

If I looked into Supra that'd be with as many Toyota parts as possible.
Sponsored