2020 Toyota GR Supra vs. 2019 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350: Which Is the Better Driver's Machine?

Hack

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Fiesta
It's not abuse. It just won't go. The ECU adjusts the timing, fuel, and cam advance to prevent any damage. The whole high load, low RPM damaging motor concern is so dated and no longer relevant.
If you lug the engine, you will hear a rumbling noise from the piston skirts hitting the cylinder walls. You'll never convince me that a noise like that doesn't have any wear or damage associated with it.

I wish you were right about the ECU preventing engine damage from lugging. If I were responsible for tuning the engine I would prevent the throttle from opening in that situation. The timing, fuel and cam advance are not enough to prevent the rumbling noise from occurring at low rpm, high gear, accelerator pedal stuffed to the floor. The ECU doesn't do that.

Bikeman315

Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
My takeaway here is that the Supra is a pretty damn good car....
Saw my first one yesterday, at Costco of all places. Did a walk around and quite frankly not impressed. The numbers say it’s a good car but I would rather see a Mustang in my driveway.

16mach1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt premium, 99 Roush, 2002 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
I was at a huge Cars and Coffee yesterday. There were a couple Supras on display on the way home on a main highway I came upon one that had been there. I was in my 02 Z06 my son was behind me in my 16 GT. As I got up on him he ran, I was glued to his bumper my son blew by both of us and I was able to pull on him and start to pass when we had to slow for traffic. After it opened up again I guess he had enough as he stayed at a steady 70.

GregP27

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2007 Nissan Titan; 2010 Hyundai Veracruz; 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP1
Below 60 mph, I'm never IN top gear. So, I have zero use for "top Gear 30 - 50 mph."

Bear_Stang

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(SIG) 2019 Mustang Bullitt w/ non-mag SMcQ suspension w/ bullitt electronics / (SAUER) 2005 Ford Focus ST
I honestly think the stinger looks more like american muscle than the supra.

As for the 350 vs the supra, the numbers tell the story of a large compact car versus a subcompact. Not a fair comparison with power/weight. My 05 focus has more room than a supra; I think a supra is good if you are not a large guy. If you are over 200 and 6ft, I think you might be cramped a bit.

People don't buy a GT350 because it is a "fast car" they buy it because its a GT350. I doubt ford will have any trouble selling them... but I think the supra is not having the start Toyota wanted (especially with as much advertising they have done). I can't remember the last (non-local) commercial I have seen about a 350 so ford is taking that bag to the bank. I would like to see the numbers that Toyota spent on advertisement.

-Edit-
Can you picture a modern midengine mustang or an all-wheel drive mustang. I think the world would implode.

GregP27

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2007 Nissan Titan; 2010 Hyundai Veracruz; 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP1
Street races don't tell you much except who has less regards for the safety other traffic. It's usually the bigger idiot.

Want results, go to a track ... and I mean a road course, not a drag strip. Get best lap time of the first 5 laps. While the Mustang is no slouch on a road course, I'd bet the Supra isn't, either. It would be fun, either way. I'd rather have the manual transmission, but the auto would be just fine, too.

I made a choice. There is a 2019 Mustang GT (unmodified except for tires and wheels) in my garage. I am not the least bit sorry, but neither am I sorry for the new Supra owner. Nice car. It isn't about who is more correct, it's all about whether or not YOU are happy with YOUR choice. I am, and I don't have to "show off" on the street to be happy with my choice.

cosmo

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Motortrend on demand just did a comparison between these two.

They did the tail of the dragon and preferred the GT350 overall, but the size of the Supra was preferred.
They did a drag strip and the Supra was faster, but both were way slower than they should have been Supra trapping around 106 and the GT350 trapping 109. Must have been hot, they both were drenched in sweat.
They then did the full 3.15 mile NCM Track. Tested the Supra on non-R and R compound tires but both were far behind the GT350. The GT350 did overheat though.

GT350: 2:16.75
Supra non-R Compound: 2:23.01
Supra R Compound: 2:20.82

Overall they said the GT350 won slightly, but would have won by more if it didn't overheat.

Hack

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Fiesta
How would you get a GT350 to overheat? Block the radiator? Or were they running a 2016 tech pack car?

cosmo

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
On Instagram Jonny said it was over 100 on the day they track tested, so it makes sense.

hp1000

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Motortrend on demand just did a comparison between these two.

They did the tail of the dragon and preferred the GT350 overall, but the size of the Supra was preferred.
They did a drag strip and the Supra was faster, but both were way slower than they should have been Supra trapping around 106 and the GT350 trapping 109. Must have been hot, they both were drenched in sweat.
They then did the full 3.15 mile NCM Track. Tested the Supra on non-R and R compound tires but both were far behind the GT350. The GT350 did overheat though.

GT350: 2:16.75
Supra non-R Compound: 2:23.01
Supra R Compound: 2:20.82

Overall they said the GT350 won slightly, but would have won by more if it didn't overheat.
is 2019 aero is blocking more air? 2016 ones took a beating in Chuckwalla all day with no issues

Hack

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Fiesta
On Instagram Jonny said it was over 100 on the day they track tested, so it makes sense.
@honeybadger runs his GT350 in Texas heat all the time. I wonder whether he has had to add cooling? As far as I know it's very rare for a GT350 to get hot.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350, '17 Raptor
@honeybadger runs his GT350 in Texas heat all the time. I wonder whether he has had to add cooling? As far as I know it's very rare for a GT350 to get hot.
Yep. I overheated my car when it was completely stock at COTA in 100* weather. Took a full session to do it, but it hit limp mode. I now have a bigger engine oil cooler and huge hood vents and I can't get it to overheat anymore :)

89 - Solo Performance - 1