Sponsored

My built 6R80 has now broken four times.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
So my 6R80 is on it's fourth failure, as of tonight. Three of those failures were while it was "built"

1. May 2017: Broke torque converter, built trans with Circle D, shaft, clutches.
2. April/May 2018: Broke trans oil pump (locked up). Oil pump replaced, damaged converter repaired, clutches replaced.
3. June/July 2018: Main snap ring broke in trans, erratic shifting, lost reverse, crazy whining noises.

4. Sept 2018: Erratic shifting, similar whining noises, lost forward and reverse. UPDATE: Forward planetary broke

This time it also has a DTC. P07AA: Transmission Friction Element E Performance/Stuck Off.

Worth noting that the first failure was at WOT, every one after that has been at light/moderate acceleration. Repair 1 was done by a different shop than 2 and 3. Converter is understandable, the rest are extremely rare and unexplainable.

Shop admitted partial fault for the broken snap ring, but I don't know what's going to happen this time. On one hand I feel like it's install error as it was fine for nearly a year and once they opened it up it's broken twice within 2 months. On the other hand I feel like this transmission is a lemon as I've had crazy problems on a street only car that I've never seen anybody else have on higher powered track cars.

This thread is really to reach out and see if anybody has any ideas or opinions. I don't want to do a TH400 as this is a street/daily car. I feel like getting a brand new PBH 6R80 and scrapping this whole trans, but money is tight. I don't feel like putting any more money into this transmission as I feel it's inevitable it will break again.

I feel I treat it very well. I wait until temps are warmed up before driving hard, I don't neutral drop it or do ridiculous shit to it, don't even launch it very hard.... so I don't see how I could be causing this. A coworker of mine suggested the +500lbs of added weight in my car (~4200lbs) is killing the trans but I find that hard to believe as that's not much different than having a few passengers and the stock 6R80 is used for towing in F150s

Thanks for any opinions.

IMG_20180915_203416.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
You either have crap luck, or the people repairing this transmission are not doing a very good job. If they will do it for free, sounds like you need to let them diagnose and repair it again.

You could find a cheap stock one from a wrecked car and use that over this "built" one. Seeing as it was your TC that failed not the actual trans.

Me personally, I choose to go for the PBH trans. I've only heard good things about PBH. They will give up to a 1500$ core refund if they find the one you send back to them in good shape. so essentially thats 3200 for it. They also give a 1 year 12k mile warranty.
My car has been down for almost three months while I budgeted for this and a circle D, but I think it will be worth it.

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
Wow 4 times...Honestly I would send yours to PBH. Have them take it apart, clean and repair properly. I think your current shop might be slacking in the cleaning/assembling process.

Excel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT and 2015 F150
your tranny builder is in over his head without a doubt

OP
OP
ahl395

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
You either have crap luck, or the people repairing this transmission are not doing a very good job. If they will do it for free, sounds like you need to let them diagnose and repair it again.

You could find a cheap stock one from a wrecked car and use that over this "built" one. Seeing as it was your TC that failed not the actual trans.

Me personally, I choose to go for the PBH trans. I've only heard good things about PBH. They will give up to a 1500$ core refund if they find the one you send back to them in good shape. so essentially thats 3200 for it. They also give a 1 year 12k mile warranty.
My car has been down for almost three months while I budgeted for this and a circle D, but I think it will be worth it.
Wow 4 times...Honestly I would send yours to PBH. Have them take it apart, clean and repair properly. I think your current shop might be slacking in the cleaning/assembling process.
your tranny builder is in over his head without a doubt
Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm trying to give the shop the opportunity to make this right before I go naming them, but it is one of the most popular and highly recommended mustang shops believe it or not. So much so that I towed it states away to them. At this point though I feel like I could have gotten better work done at Aamco across the street lol. At this point I do not want to go back but if I don't include them I lose any possible compensation.

Last time they partially warrantied it and repaired it for $400. I will call them Monday and if they want to do that again I will, although I still feel it will break again I'll take the chance to save all that money. They really have no obligation to do anything I suppose with this kind of car/work theres typically no warranty I know.

The trans through PBH is $6300 + labor, not counting my core. That's the only thing stopping me from doing that right away. It will probably be what I do though if they won't warranty it because I can't see putting any more than $400 into this trans again

Sponsored

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Could be case flexed/bent/cracked during first damage and is now flexing like crazy or causing binding.
Find a part out trans? Low mile wreck? Salvage?
There are thousands of these trans out there now.
800-1200?

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
I’d get a low mileage unit from a salvage yard (Midway Mustang and Parts Farm are both on eBay and I’ve bought many parts from them and been happy with the goods).

I’d try another stock 6R80 rather than throwing big money on an upgrade.

OP
OP
ahl395

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
Could be case flexed/bent/cracked during first damage and is now flexing like crazy or causing binding.
Find a part out trans? Low mile wreck? Salvage?
There are thousands of these trans out there now.
800-1200?
That's part of what I was thinking. Clearly it's something not easily found, at least not by these people.

I’d get a low mileage unit from a salvage yard (Midway Mustang and Parts Farm are both on eBay and I’ve bought many parts from them and been happy with the goods).

I’d try another stock 6R80 rather than throwing big money on an upgrade.
Regarding both posts on the used replacement. I was thinking of that. There is one on eBay for $1100 shipped, it's out of a 3.7L though different part number. I'm sure most of it is the same and could be made to work though. With the trans already not in the car I would want to get the converter/shaft/clutches replaced so I'd probably be looking at $2300 parts and probably $1500 labor? Plus fluid I'd probably be around $5300 total. Saves me almost $2k off the PBH one but this one will be used. Then again the PBH ones are probably rebuilt used ones also.

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
The only way I get 6300 is if I at the 4r
Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm trying to give the shop the opportunity to make this right before I go naming them, but it is one of the most popular and highly recommended mustang shops believe it or not. So much so that I towed it states away to them. At this point though I feel like I could have gotten better work done at Aamco across the street lol. At this point I do not want to go back but if I don't include them I lose any possible compensation.

Last time they partially warrantied it and repaired it for $400. I will call them Monday and if they want to do that again I will, although I still feel it will break again I'll take the chance to save all that money. They really have no obligation to do anything I suppose with this kind of car/work theres typically no warranty I know.

The trans through PBH is $6300 + labor, not counting my core. That's the only thing stopping me from doing that right away. It will probably be what I do though if they won't warranty it because I can't see putting any more than $400 into this trans again

Adding the 4r200 hub and brand new circle D converter it's 6300, but just the transmission it's 4700 - core.
For your situation I don't think you would need or want the 4r200 hub. You already have a circle D.

OP
OP
ahl395

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
The only way I get 6300 is if I at the 4r

Adding the 4r200 hub and brand new circle D converter it's 6300, but just the transmission it's 4700 - core.
For your situation I don't think you would need or want the 4r200 hub. You already have a circle D.
No 4R200, but tax is $413. I don't trust any parts in my trans so I don't really want to reuse the converter. That brings me to $6312 not including a core refund. If they find the casing of the trans or something is bad I don't want to expect to get anything, it'll just be a nice surprise if I do. Also minus shipping which will probably be $300+ to get it to them. I see Lethal sells it though so I asked if they have a coupon code available

Sponsored

Excel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT and 2015 F150
6R80
4 speed conversions are the way to go now anyways

drive_55_not

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Coyote, S197 3v, 2018 Gen3 [RIP], 2020 Challenger 'Cat
Any info on before and after gains going from 6r80 to 4r200?
1st gear changes to 2.74 sooooo it's going to be a bit of a dog getting out of the hole.

That's part of what I was thinking. Clearly it's something not easily found, at least not by these people.

Regarding both posts on the used replacement. I was thinking of that. There is one on eBay for $1100 shipped, it's out of a 3.7L though different part number. I'm sure most of it is the same and could be made to work though. With the trans already not in the car I would want to get the converter/shaft/clutches replaced so I'd probably be looking at $2300 parts and probably $1500 labor? Plus fluid I'd probably be around $5300 total. Saves me almost $2k off the PBH one but this one will be used. Then again the PBH ones are probably rebuilt used ones also.
The 3.7 6R has a different bolt pattern,, You need a 6R a tranny from either a Coyote Mustang or Coyote powered 4x2 truck, If you use a truck tranny you need a shifter mounting bracket. The truck 6R's are $400-500 ... That's low enough to make them almost disposable,

https://pbhperformance.com/shop/6r80-shifter-cable-bracket-f-150-case/