Sponsored

My built 6R80 has now broken four times.

isedawishy

GTPPTT6REIGHTY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
That's the same code I had when my intermediate shaft broke. I'd be surprised though if your billet shaft broke though
Sponsored

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT
1st gear changes to 2.74 sooooo it's going to be a bit of a dog getting out of the hole.

The 3.7 6R has a different bolt pattern,, You need a 6R a tranny from either a Coyote Mustang or Coyote powered 4x2 truck, If you use a truck tranny you need a shifter mounting bracket. The truck 6R's are $400-500 ... That's low enough to make them almost disposable,

https://pbhperformance.com/shop/6r80-shifter-cable-bracket-f-150-case/

So you could get one of these truck 6R80s for $500, clutches and shaft for $1000, and youre good to go? $1500 in parts (plus shifter bracket and converter rebuild) is pretty damn good.

Dennisn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt
I wouldn’t jump to the 4r hub bandwagon just yet. I’ve heard mixed things. If you do do the 4r hub plan on changing your rear gear as well.

Pbh includes labor in all their prices. The 6000.00 price is without the core and most likely with the billlit front planetary. That’s a 1400.00 option.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
ahl395

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
**UPDATE**

So the shop agrees the snap ring is probably broken again. They say from too much pressure in the trans. This is either caused by too much pressure commanded in the tune, or a bad valve body.

I checked with Lund, my shift pressures are even lower than their typical base tune file, so that's out. However I am simply done fixing this transmission in case it is the casing or something out of whack I don't want to chance it anymore. I am going to buy a used 6R80, they agreed to swap my converter/clutches/shaft into it and install it in my car for $400. They are sure those three parts could not be causing this. I'm pretty content with that, so now off to find a used 6R80 that will work.

6R80
4 speed conversions are the way to go now anyways
Maybe for the track, but not the best for a street car.

Any info on before and after gains going from 6r80 to 4r200?
From what I've seen there can be gains at the track, but on the street it would not be a good fit. Your new 2nd gear would be like your current 3rd so you would lose 2nd gear pulls unless you were starting from a stop since it wont downshift into 1st while moving.

1st gear changes to 2.74 sooooo it's going to be a bit of a dog getting out of the hole.

The 3.7 6R has a different bolt pattern,, You need a 6R a tranny from either a Coyote Mustang or Coyote powered 4x2 truck, If you use a truck tranny you need a shifter mounting bracket. The truck 6R's are $400-500 ... That's low enough to make them almost disposable,

https://pbhperformance.com/shop/6r80-shifter-cable-bracket-f-150-case/

Damn! Thank you for that info. I found several 6R80s from 3.7s on ebay CHEAP. I suppose I will have to look for an F150 Coyote 6R80 instead, hopefully just as cheap. Thank you

Holy poop, this has GOT to be frustrating.

I can't say that I have seen anyone have that many failures before.
It really is. Especially seeing guys run way more power and track their car all the time on stock 6R80s. It has taken alot of the fun out of owning this car between paying to fix it constantly and the downtime that always seems to be in the summer of course.

That's the same code I had when my intermediate shaft broke. I'd be surprised though if your billet shaft broke though
I did see that when I looked it up. I can't imagine I broke a billet shaft at 7-800whp on the street though lol. Apparently this main snap ring holds all the pieces of the trans together so when it broke it may have shifted the parts (shaft) inside and caused the code. Didn't happen the first time though.

So you could get one of these truck 6R80s for $500, clutches and shaft for $1000, and youre good to go? $1500 in parts (plus shifter bracket and converter rebuild) is pretty damn good.
This is similar to the route I'm going.

I wouldn’t jump to the 4r hub bandwagon just yet. I’ve heard mixed things. If you do do the 4r hub plan on changing your rear gear as well.

Pbh includes labor in all their prices. The 6000.00 price is without the core and most likely with the billlit front planetary. That’s a 1400.00 option.
No plans on the 4R200. I looked into it but as said above you would lose rolling 2nd gear pulls which are where all the fun is at. Lund agreed on the street it makes no sense, it's made for the track.

I looked into the TH400 also, but also really made for the track. Would not be street friendly with no OD lol.

Sponsored

BDMACH1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
Keep us posted on this. If possible, would like to see a pic or 2 of where this snap ring is failing.

BTW....any idea what you car weighs now with all the audio equipment installed?!? She has to be a heavy bitch with all that in it now!:cwl:

OP
OP
ahl395

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
Keep us posted on this. If possible, would like to see a pic or 2 of where this snap ring is failing.

BTW....any idea what you car weighs now with all the audio equipment installed?!? She has to be a heavy bitch with all that in it now!:cwl:
Here is a pic of the snap ring. I assume it goes in either the front or back of the trans. They explained that if you stand the trans up and put all the parts in, this snap ring goes in last and holds everything inside.

Car weighs about 4300lbs. Need to get it re-weighed though because I'm not sure if I was standing on the scale or not when the measurement was taken. I'm thinking more around 4200 as that would be +400 from the sound system and +100 from the supercharger. Considering the F150 weighs 4500 and can tow 7500lbs I don't think that is what's causing my problems though lol.

image1.jpeg

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
Here is a pic of the snap ring. I assume it goes in either the front or back of the trans. They explained that if you stand the trans up and put all the parts in, this snap ring goes in last and holds everything inside.

Car weighs about 4300lbs. Need to get it re-weighed though because I'm not sure if I was standing on the scale or not when the measurement was taken. I'm thinking more around 4200 as that would be +400 from the sound system and +100 from the supercharger. Considering the F150 weighs 4500 and can tow 7500lbs I don't think that is what's causing my problems though lol.

image1.jpeg

This is a great video on the 6R80. That snap ring would be more toward the middle of the transmission.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ahl395

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
Transmission purchased! https://www.ebay.com/itm/122694390716

$725, from a 2013 F150 with 60k miles. Shipping included. Also purchased the PBH bracket. I should be all in under $1200.

Found some good 2011 6R80s but was prompted to get a 13+ as the valve body was revised and improved in 2013 and not all parts are interchangeable between 11-12 and 13-14. FYI in case anyone finds this thread in the future.

OP
OP
ahl395

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
Well they inspected before shipping it (thankfully) and found a crack in the bell housing. My luck continues lol.

Bought another one. Also from a 2013 F150, this one with 82k miles, for $650.

Will be installing my converter, clutches, and intermediate shaft as well as replacing the valve body with a new one for good measure. Don't want any more problems.

4.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
ahl395

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
Update: The snap ring did not fail this time, the forward planetary did.

Blows my mind that would fail on light acceleration. I'm so done with this transmission lol. Luckily the planetary in mine doesnt matter since I wont be repairing this trans, however I was going to reuse the brand new clutches I just had put in mine, and now I can't because theyre embedded with metal. Great, added cost.

image1.jpg

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT
Wait, does that mean you broke a fifth one?

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
Does this car bang shift or what in the world is causing the repeated failures!

Not a chance in hell id keep that same builder.

Grenading even this last trans makes me question tune? Dunno.

But ummm psst. I hear the A10 10R80 hype is real........ LOL

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

OP
OP
ahl395

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
Wait, does that mean you broke a fifth one?
No, thank god. Lol. I still haven't gotten it back from the 4th breakdown. They just tore it down now and found that.

Does this car bang shift or what in the world is causing the repeated failures!

Not a chance in hell id keep that same builder.

Grenading even this last trans makes me question tune? Dunno.

But ummm psst. I hear the A10 10R80 hype is real........ LOL

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
The shop did mention they thought it shifted harder than usual at part throttle. I couldn't tell as its the only 6R80 I've driven. They didn't make it seem excessive though or that it would cause more problems. I had Lund change that anyway though just in case. It drove fine before it broke every time. Lund verified shift pressures were even lower than standard and everything looked good.

I'd love a 10R80 but I don't think anyone has swapped one into a 15-17 car yet and that would likely be more expensive. I just need a new 6R80 lol.

Now just waiting on the new clutches and then the new trans will be going into the car.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
I'm almost wondering if something in the case is jacked. Allowing things to flex or something breaking the secondary parts.
Sponsored