Sponsored

No manual transmission, only 7 speed DCT?

JGillis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taurus SHO
TLDR; someone who has seen the specs sheet says the 7spd DCT is the only tranny available for the 2020 gt500.

The 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Might Not Get a Manual Transmission At All

Rumors have been swirling regarding the specs of the 2020 Ford Mustang GT500, which should have over 700 horsepower. More than even that, recent reports have shown that it is likely to be equipped with a dual-clutch automatic transmission. Now we’ve learned that this DCT transmission might be the only option with no manual offered at all.

A source that is familiar with internal spec sheets has shared that the GT500 is currently listed with a seven-speed dual clutch transmission as its sole offering. Our source was not able to offer any additional information at this time regarding gear ratios or other specifics, but was able to share that the GT500 is unlikely to get the DCT out of the Ford GT, and will probably get a new gearbox from a different manufacturer.

j9y3qvqtp96qxi1hyt4u.png

We speculate that the transmission that is likely to end up in the GT500 is the Tremec TR-9007 as it is built for performance vehicles and can handle up to 664 lb-ft of torque. In their spec sheet, Tremec describes the transmission as having a modular design that can be used for rear wheel drive and all wheel drive applications that can handle up to a 10,000 RPM input speed.

A Ford spokesman declined to comment.

“Regarding the upcoming, Mustang Shelby GT500 model, we have not announced any powertrain specifics (engine or transmission) yet,” he said. More to come as we get closer to the market introduction.”

A video posted by Mustang6G a few months ago appeared to confirm the existence of this DCT, as the shifts sounded far too quick to be coming from a manual.

The exclusion of a manual is likely due to the fact that the Tremec TR-3160 from the GT350 would fall far short of the torque ratings that the 5.2-liter supercharged engine in the GT500 is likely to produce. The standard TR-3160 is rated to a max of 405 lb-ft, according to Tremec, and it had to be heavily revised to handle the 429 lb-ft of torque that produced by the 5.2-liter in the GT350.

Tremec does offer another six-speed in the from of the TR-6060, which is rated for 597 lb-ft of torque. The TR-6060 was used in the previous GT500 but since it was not a good match for revvy nature of the 5.2-liter in the GT350 it likely would not match the characteristics of the supercharged engine that is slated for the GT500.

Will you miss a manual in what could be the angriest Mustang ever?

https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-might-not-get-a-manu-1828716066
Sponsored

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Well its a drag themed car. Why handicap it with a manual? Smart move finally.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Well its a drag themed car. Why handicap it with a manual? Smart move finally.

DCTs are absolutely bad ass on track (i.e., a road course) as well.

I totally understand why they'd want to do this, design the power delivery, electronics, everything, around a single, computer controlled DCT - it's one of the things that made the GT-R so effective, even at its weight/HP.

Phenom5.0

5.2 ^^^
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech Metallic
I'm in for a new gt350 in a few years if they offer the DCT!

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Hello and welcome to last year Jalopnik. This is rehash for most here and sad that a source that should be ahead of the curve is in reality, way behind. Prototype/test DCT units came out of Tremec's Zedelgem, Belgium facility. Production units are slated to come from Tremec's new facility in Wixom, Michigan. If Jalopnik had any real ability, they'd pin down just how ready Wixom is. Hint - follow the job openings that have been listed for quite some time on Tremec's own website.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
You don't need to make a car boring with a DCT to make it fast. Recent Motortrend Porsche tests show that. I suppose it's a millennial thing - let's dumb the car down so that you don't need to practice or have any skill to drive it. That way everyone can get a blue ribbon.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
You don't need to make a car boring with a DCT to make it fast. Recent Motortrend Porsche tests show that. I suppose it's a millennial thing - let's dumb the car down so that you don't need to practice or have any skill to drive it. That way everyone can get a blue ribbon.
That's not accurate, majority of millennials don't care about cars in the first place, so how are they dictating transmission choices in performance vehicles?

This push on autos is due to people chasing times/speed over driver involvement, and they will likely be the first ones in line for the hybrid models and the Tesla Roadsters. That or old people who "just don't want to deal with the clutch anymore, because my hip/knee hurts!" even though they're 100 lbs overweight.

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
If this is true then change really is afoot at Ford. Theres pros and cons to that.

The GT350 looks to be the last 'svt/team mustang/Coletti' style speciality car ... end of an era. Glad I got in when I could growing up with all the horse snake cars all those years... I'll miss that old school cred those teams and remnants of teams tried to keep alive..

But the future is the future and that future are those lap numbers - it is the hallmark of the gran turismo / F&F generation that I also found myself born into. The DCT will bring that modern feel that the otherwise dynamic fast Fords miss...

Sponsored

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
Yes it's a "millennial thing" on a car that was designed by and for the previous generation. Kinda tired of hearing all the complaining from people who leveraged the system on the backs of the future.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yes it's a "millennial thing" on a car that was designed by and for the previous generation. Kinda tired of hearing all the complaining from people who leveraged the system on the backs of the future.
And I'm tired of dealing with non-caring whippersnappers!!!

BoostedBen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP Premium
Gotta make things easy to text and drive, look at everyone around you when you're driving now, that's the future. Car's that drive themselves so you can browse your phone.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
Gotta make things easy to text and drive, look at everyone around you when you're driving now, that's the future. Car's that drive themselves so you can browse your phone.
you are exactly right and it's sad. i've never felt this risky simply taking the motorcycle to work, but it's flat out dangerous now

loubif

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
2016 SG FoRS, Forged, Moonroof
DCTs are absolutely bad ass on track (i.e., a road course) as well.

I totally understand why they'd want to do this, design the power delivery, electronics, everything, around a single, computer controlled DCT - it's one of the things that made the GT-R so effective, even at its weight/HP.
...and it being AWD...hopefully Ford can get this new GT500 to put the power to the ground effectively, my brothers 2018 Mustang GT 5.0 A10 seems to put the power down pretty good, I think the GT500 should be able to as well...I HOPE!!!
Sponsored