Sponsored

7 speed DCT vs 10r80 for Drag racing? Road racing?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Upshifting the 10r80 is as easy as clicking a mouse button basically, you dont even have to take your hands off the wheel...
Obviously there isn't much physical effort involved, but that's not what I was getting at. Think about tapping the right paddle four times as you accelerate mildly to moderately from 20 to 40 . . . . I suspect that would get old in a hurry, never mind situations where you're doing enough steering to where your fingers are too far away from the paddles for easy (and reliable) shifting. Of course, you could always let it go full automatic, where in exchange for the greater convenience you give up the very involvement in the process that you wanted to have the paddles for in the first place
iono.gif

I love the different transmission modes for the 10r80 , so much fun.
I have to do a little teasing here - what's it like to have so few "transmission modes"? A MT car can have as many "modes" as there are differences in the driver's "enthusiasm of the moment" (and you don't have to fiddle with any switches or menus to change the "mode" of the moment, either).

Norm
Sponsored

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
stock left, drag radials right.

ill use both as soon as i find a closer dyno to get HP/tq from

gt500 trans ratios.JPG
Understand that those "MAX MPH" numbers are about 3.5% higher than what you'd actually see at those rpms (assuming a sufficiently accurate tach and speedometer). Like every other gear ratio vs speed calculator, that one doesn't account for tire tread compliance effects either.

It's not a huge difference, but if you're going to bother with calculating this at all it is something that you should at least be aware of. I wish those app developers would at least give you the option of working from tire revs per mile directly . . .

Norm

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Upshifting the 10r80 is as easy as clicking a mouse button basically, you dont even have to take your hands off the wheel...

I love the different transmission modes for the 10r80 , so much fun.
I'm am digging on the new ride with the 10R80, coming off a couple of decades of manuals (well, the wife's rides have been autos), it's just as much fun.
Sponsored