Sponsored

Thinking about going from GT back to a slow car

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Agree to disagree. A whole bunch of disagree. :cheers:

I haven't driven a Boss 302, which might change my mind, but the 2011 Mustang V6 and GT Brembo cars I owned were worlds behind the 2015+ IRS cars. I won't even go into Magneride..
The Boss 302 felt better than the GTPP. Better suited on track and definitely on street (no bounce). Only on bumps through turns (like Sebring) would there be a noticeable difference as you'd get more rear end hop on the Boss. Boss had adjustable suspension, and when setup right felt very good.

The 350 is much better equipped though. I haven't driven the 18+ enough to judge those.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The Boss 302 felt better than the GTPP. Better suited on track and definitely on street (no bounce). Only on bumps through turns (like Sebring) would there be a noticeable difference as you'd get more rear end hop on the Boss. Boss had adjustable suspension, and when setup right felt very good.

The 350 is much better equipped though. I haven't driven the 18+ enough to judge those.
Bumps and especially bumps during a turn - yup - a big weakness of the SRA. IRS can be more compliant and still have much better grip.

Blown_90LX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold boosted 5.0L Fox & 4.6 Cobra
OP here. I just spent a good chunk of change getting the updated billet installed on the Whipple and the start up chirp is fixed/non existant.

I'm just going to keep the car for now. I do enjoy it and it's a weekend driver 90% of the time.

The popularity of this thread speaks volumes to your situation - it’s a struggle every car guy deals with. Ps I remember when you bought your ride in NC? I think at Cosmos?

I daileyd a blown 90 LX for almost a decade (hence name), loved it. Could wring out all 350 hp like Vaughn Gitten Jr and loved it. Traded up for an Audi A4. Loved it/got bored, missed V8 power/sound/drift.

Sold it bought 96 Cobra - dailyed for 2 years got bored/hated 4.6 (had to wring it’s neck out to feel anything). Bought several grown up cars and am currently in ~300 hp Wrangler 4dr off-road beast. LOVE Wrangler. Miss banging gears.

Flew home to see best friend, hangout, drink and (separately) see how his 750 hp GT500 felt. Very conflicting.

Feeling like you need a flight crew nearby b/c you go from zero to 140 is a mindfuck when your 35+ and have become responsible. Also very underwhelming since it’s so linear, smooth and predictable. But pretty awesome when we lined up on a ZL-1 and romped him.

I would have thought you were a pus*y 10 years ago but at this point in life I get it now and sympathize. I do think the fact that a lot of us who are getting or used to have Mustangs (and now trucks) still come here and post. V8 Mustangs rock. That’s why.

I still want 700hp but don’t miss the bullshit of too much aftermarket stuff (will save for a new 500). Spirited driving and occasional burnouts/soundtrack are what I miss most and the guy who said you need a balance to appreciate your car is right. Getting 18 6 speed GT, keeping stock and likely keeping my Jeep.

Sorry for rant but this thread helped me (I think a lot of us) reason out what we really want/need.

Thanks!
:ford:

Last edited:

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
The popularity of this thread speaks volumes to your situation - it’s a struggle every car guy deals with. Ps I remember when you bought your ride in NC? I think at Cosmos?

I daileyd a blown 90 LX for almost a decade (hence name), loved it. Could wring out all 350 hp like Vaughn Gitten Jr and loved it. Traded up for an Audi A4. Loved it/got bored, missed V8 power/sound/drift.

Sold it bought 96 Cobra - dailyed for 2 years got bored/hated 4.6 (had to wring it’s neck out to feel anything). Bought several grown up cars and am currently in ~300 hp Wrangler 4dr off-road beast. LOVE Wrangler. Miss banging gears.

Flew home to see best friend, hangout, drink and (separately) see how his 750 hp GT500 felt. Very conflicting.

Feeling like you need a flight crew nearby b/c you go from zero to 140 is a mindfuck when your 35+ and have become responsible. Also very underwhelming since it’s so linear, smooth and predictable. But pretty awesome when we lined up on a ZL-1 and romped him.

I would have thought you were a pus*y 10 years ago but get it now. I do think the fact that a lot of us who are getting or used to have Mustangs (and now trucks) still come here and post. V8 Mustangs rock. That’s why.

I still want 700hp but don’t miss the bullshit of too much aftermarket stuff (will save for a new 500). Spirited driving and occasional burnouts/soundtrack are what I miss most and the guy who said you need a balance to appreciate your car is right. Getting 18 6 speed GT, keeping stock and likely keeping my Jeep.

Sorry for rant but this thread helped me (I think a lot of us) reason out what we really want/need.

Thanks!
:ford:

Nice post but a few years from now all this nostalgia will be lost with the new electric cars that quite literally will be rockets on wheels. 30 years of V8 and IC engines has me wanting something different but not more of the same. Times change and a blown V8 will be no faster than an electric semi as is the case now. Technology has spoken and electric all the way...

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I sort of did same thing in going 14 GT to a GTI. The new wore off quickly and ultimately missed the power and styling of v8 2 door coupe. Mustang makes a better play car versus a daily in the end imo. Those 40 degree rainy days made taking the GTI so much easier.

Bottom line the 18 GT with a good E85 tune/intake is a easy 530-540 plus crank hp 302. That is all I am doing. Car has line lock, quad exhaust, 3.55 torsion, 10 speed etc, etc, straight from the factory. Love it!

Sponsored

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I drove a friend's Tesla Model 3 the other week. He told me to nail it, which I did, and it literally threw me into the seat back. I can only imagine the Roadster will be even quicker, but then again, $$$$$!

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Agree to disagree. A whole bunch of disagree (edit: at least with the SRA ain't bad comment). :cheers: I know nothing about SN95 - never owned one.

I haven't driven a Boss 302, which might change my mind, but the 2011 Mustang V6 and GT Brembo cars I owned were worlds behind the 2015+ IRS cars. I won't even go into Magneride..
My GT Brembo shocks were awful from what I remember. Changing to Koni Yellows made a huge difference in ride quality. But now that I've had a MagneRide car, I'm screwed. So nice lol.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
My GT Brembo shocks were awful from what I remember. Changing to Koni Yellows made a huge difference in ride quality. But now that I've had a MagneRide car, I'm screwed. So nice lol.
What "GT Brembo" car did you have?

I ask because I'm considering Yellows for my '16.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
What "GT Brembo" car did you have?

I ask because I'm considering Yellows for my '16.
Whoops...sorry, it was an '11 GT Brembo Brake Pack car. The shocks were incredibly bouncy and unsettling. I changed to FRPP 1" springs and Koni Yellows.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

A S197? He would feel like he's driving his F-150 all over again. ;)
And 2018 GTs are blowing up left and right. What's your point? Every car has a flaw.

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
My Taco Bell is blowing up right now...and I've already eaten it. I'd highly recommending finding the nearest fallout shelter.

Reactions: Ebm

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
This is why I believe the GT is a garage car. It's really not practical as a daily......
Bullshit. Mine's sitting outside my work right now. It's my only vehicle.

I wouldn't own a Mustang to leave it sitting in a garage. What a waste.

Why would you think a Mustang is "not practical as a daily"?

Reactions: Ebm

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT

I agree. My Mustang is my only car. I'm lowered and running 250/980 lb/in springs and other chassis mods. I love driving my Mustang. It would be a sin to leave it in the garage. Drive it til the wheels fall off.:cheers:

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Exactly. Mustangs (GTs and below anyway) are too common to be collectible these days. Might as well enjoy it because your resell value is dropping whether you drive it or not :lol:

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I agree. My Mustang is my only car. I'm lowered and running 250/980 lb/in springs and other chassis mods. I love driving my Mustang. It would be a sin to leave it in the garage. Drive it til the wheels fall off.:cheers:
Exactly. Mustangs (GTs and below anyway) are too common to be collectible these days. Might as well enjoy it because your resell value is dropping whether you drive it or not :lol:
It's.

A.

Mustang.

Nothing more. Not a human, not something that has feels, not something that has good days or bad. It's a machine that only needs a bit of maintenance and mechanical sympathy.

Reg, whom I was replying to, drives an Ecoboost. Can a Mustang be more pedestrian and run-of-the-mill? And yet he thinks it needs to be a garage queen.

Good Christ people, calm down. They're machines. Nothing more.
Sponsored