Sponsored

Thinking about going from GT back to a slow car

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
The cars I have been, they disable at a certain speed. Disabling the parking brake at speed is a security feature so joe-schmo doesn't kill himself.

Not really sure your comparison is a good one. Electronic starters are very necessary. Not only does it save time, but they are pretty darn reliable and a security feature as well. One could argue automatic headlights, electronic windows, wipers, anti-lock brakes, power locks, and keyless entry are all security features as well. For example, someone is trying to chase you down to rob you. Keyless entry could very well save your life. Same scenario for power locks and electronic windows.

When I say features that are making us lazy, I'm referring to heated, cooled, and massaging seats with 50 different power settings. I'm referring to dual-zone automatic climate control. Those type of things. The same applies to a parking brake. What happens if the car cuts off, loses power, and you are rolling down a hill and the brake pedal doesn't work? A regular e-brake will save you. Will the electronic parking brake still work? Hmm... :shrug:
I do agree on the lazy too. But that goes for everything in our modern world. I remember the days with manual door locks and trying to let 3+ people in a car. Then you had to check each door to make sure it was locked. Power locks were such a luxury item at one point in the not too distant past.

I've wondered about the power failure myself, even for the shifter. Although in 30+ years I've never encountered a situation with a total failure like that.

I know the Benzes tend to have crazy engineering behind them for situations you many never think of.
Sponsored

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
I can appreciate the EB but if got rid of the GT, would never get another Mustang. It would be a much smaller and cheaper manual 4 banger to drive while my Jetta isn't around.....a Fiesta SE or ST. I have a thing for small cheap minimalist manual cars (minus the Mirage).
I traded my 15 GT in November for a 2009 Corvette and last week bought a 18’ Mirage G4. My F150 was killing me in gas every week going to work. The dealer near me had like 6k off the Mirage. I use it for work and running errands in town. I don’t speed anymore so I actually like driving the Mirage and it gets great gas mileage. I drive it to places I’m reluctant to like food shopping or Walmart etc and don’t worry about it like the Vette or my Mustang when I had it. It comes with a 10 year 100 mile warranty. I use the Vette for weekends and can keep the miles off of it. I actually enjoy all of my vehicles for their intended purpose.

Last edited:

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

I traded my 15 GT in November for a 2009 Corvette and last week bought a 18’ Mirage G4. My F150 was killing me in gas every week going to work. The dealer near me had like 6k off the Mirage. I use it for work and running errands in town. I don’t speed anymore so I actually like driving the Mirage and it gets great gas mileage. I drive it to places I’m reluctant to like food shopping or Walmart etc and don’t worry about it like the Vette or my Mustang when I had it. It comes with a 10 year 100 mile warranty. I use the Vette for weekends and can keep the miles off of it. I actually enjoy all of my vehicles for their intended purpose.
What is your commute to work?

You know you could have doubled your horsepower and room for no mileage cut. Let's be honest, no one actually WANTS to drive a car with 78 hp(at the crank) and lots of mechanical issues. Honda Civic would have been a much better bet. Just saying...

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
What is your commute to work?

You know you could have doubled your horsepower and room for no mileage cut. Let's be honest, no one actually WANTS to drive a car with 78 hp(at the crank) and lots of mechanical issues. Honda Civic would have been a much better bet. Just saying...
For brand new car with full warranty, the Civic would have been at least a few thousand more (they're not discounting them 6k new and they start at 4k more. They also don't have a 10 year warranty, which he'll probably need for the Mirage since Mitsu has gone so far downhill.

I think he was going for most affordable new car, Versa wins that for me and they're surprisingly decent for how cheap they are.

Sponsored

blitzburgh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW M2C
I had a Mirage as a rental car once in Colorado. I would rather (Insert some horrible thing you would never want to do ) than ever drive one of those again.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
bought a 18’ Mirage G4.
Seen the safety ratings on that death trap?** You would have been better off in the civic in more ways than one.

I get it... cheap car with a long warranty.

My F150 was killing me
And it still could... :D

**says the guy who rides around in a convertible!

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Not knowing what the Mirage was, I googled it.

https://www.caranddriver.com/mitsubishi/mirage-g4

Do an internet search looking for the worst cars sold in the U.S. and you find lists more numerous than posts covering that video of Jay Leno in the Hemi Under Glass drag car that rolled over. Consensus, in the subcompact class at least, gravitates around the Mitsubishi Mirage, a subcompact hatchback so widely loathed by reviewers upon its 2014 debut that it, um, rang up a year of rising sales. Our own road-test review wore a typical headline: “Sad Trombone.” More than 21,000 people heard a trumpet, though, calling them to buy one.
Why would you pay money for that?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
What about a recent-year 3.7L V6 Mustang? Or perhaps a 4.6L S197? 300 HP give/take a few is decent power without being overwhelming, and those cars can be made to handle better than decently without incurring horrible ride quality.

Norm

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
What about a recent-year 3.7L V6 Mustang? Or perhaps a 4.6L S197? 300 HP give/take a few is decent power without being overwhelming, and those cars can be made to handle better than decently without incurring horrible ride quality.

Norm
A S197? He would feel like he's driving his F-150 all over again. ;)

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
A S197? He would feel like he's driving his F-150 all over again. ;)
You may be joking, but the SRA versus IRS difference is enormous. I didn't really want the IRS because I didn't realize how much it would improve the car (but I realized it would raise the price significantly). Now that I have spent a few years with IRS Mustangs, no way would I want to go back.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
You may be joking, but the SRA versus IRS difference is enormous. I didn't really want the IRS because I didn't realize how much it would improve the car (but I realized it would raise the price significantly). Now that I have spent a few years with IRS Mustangs, no way would I want to go back.

Yeah I know the feeling, I spent a little over 13 years driving a SN95.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I don't think you can use seat time in a quadra-bound SN95 to assess S197 ride quality.

Sure, a S197 would ride a bit more firmly than a V6 S550, but it doesn't have to be as bad as all the "OMG, it still doesn't have IRS" comments make it out to be. With the right rear shocks it might well ride better than OP's lowered S550.

Norm

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
OP here. I just spent a good chunk of change getting the updated billet installed on the Whipple and the start up chirp is fixed/non existant.

I'm just going to keep the car for now. I do enjoy it and it's a weekend driver 90% of the time.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I don't think you can use seat time in a quadra-bound SN95 to assess S197 ride quality.

Sure, a S197 would ride a bit more firmly than a V6 S550, but it doesn't have to be as bad as all the "OMG, it still doesn't have IRS" comments make it out to be. With the right rear shocks it might well ride better than OP's lowered S550.

Norm
Agree to disagree. A whole bunch of disagree (edit: at least with the SRA ain't bad comment). :cheers: I know nothing about SN95 - never owned one.

I haven't driven a Boss 302, which might change my mind, but the 2011 Mustang V6 and GT Brembo cars I owned were worlds behind the 2015+ IRS cars. I won't even go into Magneride..
Sponsored