Go catless with boost

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Just pointing out that Kooks Green cats are only rated to 1500F exhaust temp.

If the temp calculated by the ECM is anywhere near accurate that is simply not high enough. I can hit 1500F at part throttle and hit as high as 2200+ when I was on stock cats.
Sponsored

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
I looked at doing the 12469, the only thing that kept me from pulling the trigger is that it's a dual Y verse a true X. Wasn't sure how it would flow.
Just picked the car up. Hot Damn did that muffler quiet the car down. Literally went from volume level 10 to a 5. Has sorta a refined euro exotic sport tone to it. Reminds me of the nismo exhaust I had on my 370z, but deeper.

Only drove about 4 city miles, didnt get a chance to open it up yet. Drone and rasp significantly reduced.

Driving power seems and pedal response seems unchanged.

I'll report back with a video once I get a chance.

Phill The Greek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White GTPP
I'm running SW with cats but you guys are making me paranoid, so I'm looking at options for coverting to catless. I don't want to drop a lot of money on this. Could I pull the cats off and remove the inner material and reinstall the cat pipe without any issues?

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I'm running SW with cats but you guys are making me paranoid, so I'm looking at options for coverting to catless. I don't want to drop a lot of money on this. Could I pull the cats off and remove the inner material and reinstall the cat pipe without any issues?
Yes, plenty of people do this. You will need to have your tune changed also to turn off the rear O2 sensors, otherwise you'll get a CEL.

Sponsored

Phill The Greek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White GTPP
Yes, plenty of people do this. You will need to have your tune changed also to turn off the rear O2 sensors, otherwise you'll get a CEL.
Awesome! About to install the 2018 intake and retune it anyways. Thanks!

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Took the car out for some toying around after the install, and i must say the car is nastier with these offroad pipes. It sounds completely different under wot and just cruising. Its much more responsive its like a different car now.. man I'm so glad i did this. It’s like falling in love over again..thanks again op..

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
If I needed cats for emissions I'd get some flanges and make them bolt on. Use them to pass the test and drive around legally. In half an hour you can unbolt them and bolt on a set of test pipes. Its so much easier to change out than slip on exhaust parts.

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
This is true, Whipple spent a lot of time working on the COT part of their calibrations. Lund melted your cat. But hey, you hit 12lbs and had moar powa.

Whipple has stated that the heat builds so quickly the calibration will hit COT protection before one can complete a 1/4 pass. Tuners that just stare at AFR like its the bible are the problem. Do you think for a second guys like Greg Banish could not calibrate a boosted car to be safe.

geez.

Yeah, the guy who gets paid to run the dynos in an OE emissions lab is full of shit:lol:

You kind of just identified the problem. The aftermarket guys are using the wrong OS and don't have the tools to properly calibrate these engines as we do at the OE level. The Whipple OS (which is a Ford OS designed for SC cars) works just fine if its calibrated properly.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Just picked the car up. Hot Damn did that muffler quiet the car down. Literally went from volume level 10 to a 5. Has sorta a refined euro exotic sport tone to it. Reminds me of the nismo exhaust I had on my 370z, but deeper.

Only drove about 4 city miles, didnt get a chance to open it up yet. Drone and rasp significantly reduced.

Driving power seems and pedal response seems unchanged.

I'll report back with a video once I get a chance.
I'd love to see a vid. I am still not convinced that my 2 bottle style resonators are the right course of action here. The sound you describe is exactly what I am looking for.

If I needed cats for emissions I'd get some flanges and make them bolt on. Use them to pass the test and drive around legally. In half an hour you can unbolt them and bolt on a set of test pipes. Its so much easier to change out than slip on exhaust parts.
Exactly what I am doing.

Sponsored

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
I'd love to see a vid. I am still not convinced that my 2 bottle style resonators are the right course of action here. The sound you describe is exactly what I am looking for.
My cell quality doesn't give it justice, but here is a quick video.

raycer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Similar, they are an off the shelf 5x8 magnaflow muffler
Perfect. I’m going to buy that same resonator and have an exhaust shop fab it to my x pipe. I hate the rasp I have now and after the catless headers go on next week it will be out of hand.
Sponsored