Sponsored

Exedy ET04XD vs McLeod RST

Malcornelius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver Mustang GT Premium PP Paxton
Im in the market for a new clutch as im about to go E85. Just wanting some feedback from any members. I read a lot about McLeod on here but not so much on Exedy.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

V8EATR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I can comment on the RST and its fantastic. Light pedal feel, great holding power, taken a lot of abuse. I also have to give major props to McLeod as a business. I actually had the ring gear come off the flywheel (lightened steel from McLeod) and wrecked my starter. They sent me a new flywheel with a welded ring gear and reimbursed me for the starter, stand up bunch of guys.

asylum938

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang GT
I have the et04xd.

Clutch is very nice but it's a pucked ceramic. It is a sprung hub so it will lessen the drivetrain shock. It has some grabby chatter tendencies when taking off in 1st but is very smooth other than from a stop.

It does not drive like stock and has a short engagement point at the top of the pedal but the sucker holds the power with no issues.

There went many reviews when I bought this clutch and I went for it on Terry from TBR's recommendation.

My co worker just bought a mantic for his whipple gt so I'll update with a review of that vs the et04xd as well.

KYLExKILLJOY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 years, 2003 Mach 1 D1sc, 2002 4.2L
I have the et04xd.

Clutch is very nice but it's a pucked ceramic. It is a sprung hub so it will lessen the drivetrain shock. It has some grabby chatter tendencies when taking off in 1st but is very smooth other than from a stop.

It does not drive like stock and has a short engagement point at the top of the pedal but the sucker holds the power with no issues.

There went many reviews when I bought this clutch and I went for it on Terry from TBR's recommendation.

My co worker just bought a mantic for his whipple gt so I'll update with a review of that vs the et04xd as well.
I've been looking at this clutch: How bad is it taking off from a stop/in traffic?

Also are you still using the helper spring?

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I'd get a Exedy over a McLeod all day. You are just going E85 NA? You don't need a super special high torque clutch. Something in the range of a Spec 2+ is fine, even that's too much.

Sponsored

asylum938

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang GT
I've been looking at this clutch: How bad is it taking off from a stop/in traffic?

Im using the Steeda clutch spring.

you will definitely have to relearn the car from a stop.

this clutch likes a decent ammt of revs and a quick engagement if you want to be smooth.

and it can be smooth but get it wrong and it will punish you with chatter/stalling.

honestly the more I drive the car the smoother it gets I would say its 50% me learning where the clutch grabs and 50% break-in.

OP
OP

Malcornelius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd get a Exedy over a McLeod all day. You are just going E85 NA? You don't need a super special high torque clutch. Something in the range of a Spec 2+ is fine, even that's too much.
On a Paxton wastegated at 12psi.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Every McLeod clutch package I've ever installed performed great.

pwny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I can't speak for the Exedy but I'm throwing my vote in for the RST based on personal experience. I daily the car and I've driven cars with heavy clutches as well for comparison. It has a learning curve because of how it grabs a little higher and the pedal is light but it's not non-existent. It's absolutely wonderful if you get stuck in any traffic as well.

RoadCone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange PP
I ran the Exedy NA and when I switched to the tremec, they took care of me!! I love this clutch and has held my power at the track with NO issues.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Malcornelius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just an fyi...I ended up going with the McLeod RST. In the end it came down to my mechanic/tuners recommendition also heavily factored in. Either way I dont think I could go wrong. Thanks for the input everyone.

Pongo23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nevin
Vehicle(s)
Procharged 2015 Mustang GT PP

I got the exedy Et04xd with the stock clutch assist spring removed. Was definitely stiffer pedal when I picked it up but used to it now. I've put about 450 miles on it; still in the break in period. There was a learning curve but the clutch is super smooth. I have been extra cautious so at the engagement point, I can feel the grabbing because I'm probably not giving it enough gas but so far I love it; I've had 0 chatter. I also installed a mgw shifter when the clutch kit was being done. will tell you that the RST is a softer pedal feel and McLeod is definitely more popular in the forums but I've had an exedy in this mustang and a supra I had in the past; they make excellent clutches. I know someone with the roush supercharger with an rst and the car makes a little less power than mine and the guy is smelling clutch on hard launches and highway pulls.

Pongo23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nevin
Vehicle(s)
Procharged 2015 Mustang GT PP
I have the et04xd.

I'd be interested to hear this comparison; I too was in between mantic but eventually went with the exedy et04xd and love it so far.

jlstro3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have the Exedy. Unfortunately I had a little oops moment and smoked 3rd gear. Sucks too because I really enjoy how the clutch drives, it's buttery smooth and a real joy to drive around with. I'm swapping to an auto now though so I wont always have the little feeling in the back of my head that I'm going to grenade my mt82 lol.

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
IMO the Exedy is on a whole other level than the RST. Hell, they aren't even on the same planet.

Exedy: billet pressure plate, end user replaceable components, sprung hub ceramic, SFI certified. #racecar stuff you can live with on the street

RST: a strong replacement clutch that drives almost like OEM.

Exedy is very big in the racing side. I'll run nothing but them as they are very responsive to your needs and very thorough with their information.

For a NA car a hyper single can't be beat, and the ET04XD is the bees knees on a boosted car, if you can handle driving the chatter or squeal prone ceramic friction material. I only care what it does once the hammer is down and the power is pouring in and the Exedy flat out holds.
Sponsored