Exedy ET04XD vs McLeod RST

Pongo23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nevin
Vehicle(s)
Procharged 2015 Mustang GT PP
IMO the Exedy is on a whole other level than the RST. Hell, they aren't even on the same planet.

Exedy: billet pressure plate, end user replaceable components, sprung hub ceramic, SFI certified. #racecar stuff you can live with on the street

RST: a strong replacement clutch that drives almost like OEM.

Exedy is very big in the racing side. I'll run nothing but them as they are very responsive to your needs and very thorough with their information.

For a NA car a hyper single can't be beat, and the ET04XD is the bees knees on a boosted car, if you can handle driving the chatter or squeal prone ceramic friction material. I only care what it does once the hammer is down and the power is pouring in and the Exedy flat out holds.
I guess people compare it to the rst because the rxt design is just not forgiving enough for our mt 82's and is a factor, a long with sticky tires, the stock remote shifter and lastly but most important, bad driving (shockijg the drivetrain with clutch dumps is just asking for it) for breaking those mt 82s. I'm still breaking mine in and not pushing it hard but I dont have any chatter/squeal. Unless chatter means the friction grabby feeling when you're taking off from a start and dont give it enough of a blip of throttle.
Sponsored

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
The ET04 isn’t forgiving either. I kissed 4th gear goodbye. When it grabs, it doesn’t let go!

Pongo23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nevin
Vehicle(s)
The ET04 isn’t forgiving either. I kissed 4th gear goodbye. When it grabs, it doesn’t let go!
When i say forgiving im referring to the sprung hub design. Breaking 4th gear is interestong though; do you have a proper trans mounted shifter or remote mount. Losing 4th gear shouldnt necessarily be attributed to the clutch. 2nd or 3rd i get but 4th is a bit of a stretch.

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
When i say forgiving im referring to the sprung hub design. Breaking 4th gear is interestong though; do you have a proper trans mounted shifter or remote mount. Losing 4th gear shouldnt necessarily be attributed to the clutch. 2nd or 3rd i get but 4th is a bit of a stretch.
Not really. Not sure how this clutch compares to the RXT. Sounds very similar. First MT82 lasted 2500 miles boosted with the RXT blowing out 3rd. Second MT82 lasted almost 3000 miles blowing out 4th. TR6060 has lasted 11k no issues.

Pongo23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nevin
Vehicle(s)
Not really. Not sure how this clutch compares to the RXT. Sounds very similar. First MT82 lasted 2500 miles boosted with the RXT blowing out 3rd. Second MT82 lasted almost 3000 miles blowing out 4th. TR6060 has lasted 11k no issues.
Which is why i dong like the rxt for the mt82...im over 700 rwhp with my exedy for 3k miles and all good so far. I havent launched from a dig but have had several hard pulls shifting at 7500rpm.

Sponsored

ckendri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I’ll add in my $0.02. I have the EX04XD twin disc, and it’s pretty smooth. As other mentioned, there can be a little chatter, but if you give it some throttle it’s not bad at all. The thing holds everything I’m throwing at it: VMP gen 2r, fore fuel system, E85, and a PBD tune are the main things. However, I smoked 4th gear about a month after going E85. I installed my MGW that morning and drove about 6 miles before busting 4th. It was a 7300 RPM shift, but I didn’t side step the clutch. I am on all season tires as well. Who knows? All total I have about 3500 miles on the clutch, and I’m on my second MT-82.

spogshd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I've got the RST in mine, but hell its noisy low down, like rubbing a symbal round on a concrete floor in circles, Is anyone else experiencing this. Its about a 1200 miles now.
Sponsored