Sponsored

Rear bumper TSB disaster

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I never really was too concerned either. But, now that Hyundai, Kia and other entry level cars do not have these issues, I find it difficult to understand the inability or unwillinglness of Ford to deal with these production issues.

And to be perfectly honest, I think the fact that they are willing to let crooked back windows and panel misalignments on units go out the door en masse does say something about how they value their product and their customers. If I was an engineer/designer of our Mustangs, I would be as dissatisfied as our customers.

OP
OP
No_step_on_snek

No_step_on_snek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Ugh... and that’s magnetic too. Dings show so easy on magnetic. Sorry bro.
Mine is Lead foot so its not quite as bad as magnetic.

If mine gets bad enough I can't stand it anymore, I'll tackle a repair myself with a couple of ideas some guys on the forums here have done.
I was honestly going to go with this rout but I figured if Ford put a fix out why not have it correct it. I honestly didn't think they could fuck it up this bad.

I honestly don't even think its Ford to blame as much as it is people take no pride in there work anymore.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I never really was too concerned either. But, now that Hyundai, Kia and other entry level cars do not have these issues, I find it difficult to understand the inability or unwillinglness of Ford to deal with these production issues.

And to be perfectly honest, I think the fact that they are willing to let crooked back windows and panel misalignments on units go out the door en masse does say something about how they value their product and their customers. If I was an engineer/designer of our Mustangs, I would be as dissatisfied as our customers.
There are other opinions on this. I'd rather spend money on a great drive train than perfect panel fit. And I'd rather have a less expensive car than one where I can't see a single flaw.

I disagree that Kias have great panel fit or are well built, but if you hate the panel fit on your Ford you can always sell the GT350 and buy a Kia. ENJOY!

To the OP, sorry to hear about the issues you had. I've been considering whether I would go back to the dealer on this or not. Hopefully they will make it right for you.

hornedfrog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mercury Montego

Are the trucks that Ford builds having the same quality control issues?

Sponsored

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Are the trucks that Ford builds having the same quality control issues?
Yes. I’m a regular on a raptor forum and the F150’s are no different. Don’t get someone started on the whole F-150 Ecoboost weephole issue not the panoramic sunroofs.

hornedfrog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mercury Montego
Yes. I’m a regular on a raptor forum and the F150’s are no different. Don’t get someone started on the whole F-150 Ecoboost weephole issue not the panoramic sunroofs.
Thanks, there is a Kia Stinger GT an a Toyota Tundra next door now. Everything on those vehicles fits perfectly.

GrabberBootyBlue88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Thanks, there is a Kia Stinger GT an a Toyota Tundra next door now. Everything on those vehicles fits perfectly.
True that. My daily driver is a 2012 Tundra and I don't have panel issues whatsoever. Oh well, I only worry about my GT350 when I'm hand-washing it. Other than that, just keep driving...

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
Those are n=1 examples. My son has a Nissan Maxima and the panel gaps are much worse than my GT350. Same with my Dodge Durango. And our previous Toyota RAV4.

Personally, unless I'm buying something like a Ferrari or spending well north of 100K, I don't expect body panel perfection

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Like was mentioned before, it's pretty well all dealers and it's the people they hire. No one has respect for anyone else's property.

I've had my share of similar shoddy workmanship and the "joy ride" as well with different dealerships. I do as much myself now as I possibly can.

Sponsored

tjbrowder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R -HR773
I just picked up a 2018 Wrangler Rubicon (the new JL) for a daily. I am amazed at the quality of fit and finish. Even the paint (black) is impressive. Also, the latest UConnect system is top shelf.

I love my GT350R for it's driving dynamics, but I strongly feel that Ford needs to step up their quality game. While my panels are pretty decent with the exception of the rear bumper cover, it feels a bit slapped together at times.

I wonder if the 2018 Mustangs are put together better?? Have not been in or driven one.

hornedfrog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mercury Montego
Those are n=1 examples. My son has a Nissan Maxima and the panel gaps are much worse than my GT350. Same with my Dodge Durango. And our previous Toyota RAV4.

Personally, unless I'm buying something like a Ferrari or spending well north of 100K, I don't expect body panel perfection
Well, you are the target demographic, I was okay with this 35 years ago but not now.

OP
OP
No_step_on_snek

No_step_on_snek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350

The issue here is Ford issued a fix for a problem and tried to do the right thing but the dealers have failed.

I just picked up a 2018 Wrangler Rubicon (the new JL) for a daily. I am amazed at the quality of fit and finish. Even the paint (black) is impressive. Also, the latest UConnect system is top shelf.

I love my GT350R for it's driving dynamics, but I strongly feel that Ford needs to step up their quality game. While my panels are pretty decent with the exception of the rear bumper cover, it feels a bit slapped together at times.

I wonder if the 2018 Mustangs are put together better?? Have not been in or driven one.
Mine is a 2018 and I thought the quality of my build was great. the rear bumper wasn't even that bad expect for the right side. In hind sight I would of just lived with it.

tjbrowder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R -HR773
The issue here is Ford issued a fix for a problem and tried to do the right thing but the dealers have failed.

Mine is a 2018 and I thought the quality of my build was great. the rear bumper wasn't even that bad expect for the right side. In hind sight I would of just lived with it.
I really do appreciate your input. Was considering having the TSB done, but I think I will stand down for the moment. As my car is black, the gaps are not that visible.

Scoobs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MG GT350 sold, 2019 MG GT350R KR569
Most of the '18 350s that I've seen delivered to my local dealer have very tight and solid rear quarter panel/rear bumper gaps. My '17 isn't that bad so I'm having a hard time justifying handing it over to the dealer for surgery.
Sponsored