Sponsored

2018 Mustang Automatic Dyno at JDM Engineering

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
Do you guys remember the 98-01 f body Camaros and trans ams ? The were rated at 300 hp and put down 300 to the wheels. When did the SAE stuff start happening?
Yes I do. I had a 99 SS which was rated slightly higher than standard z28. Anyway that car went 12.9 @ 108mph bone stock! They were incredible cars it was just really ugly. I wanted a trans am ram air but came across the ss for a deal I couldn't pass up. T-tops and mullets baby!:headbang:
Sponsored

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
Yes I do. I had a 99 SS which was rated slightly higher than standard z28. Anyway that car went 12.9 @ 108mph bone stock! They were incredible cars it was just really ugly. I wanted a trans am ram air but came across the ss for a deal I couldn't pass up. T-tops and mullets baby!:headbang:
I still love a nice WS6 when I see one. I just REALLY hate the crap 80's looking interior. Those huge buttons on the steering wheel look like they are out of a 70's scifi movie.

I mean.. damn.... http://st.hotrod.com/uploads/sites/21/2009/04/hppp_0904_05_z-2001_ws6_trans_am-interior.jpg

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
I saw that too, right at 150 mph in 4th on the manual, and 7th on the auto, you hit the limiter. I have seen a few bump up like that. Mine just hit that and stopped and I saw a VERY repeatable 420/390 with my manual. Like 4 pulls in a row within less than 1/2 hp/tq. No matter what math you use the cars are making at least advertised HP.
Has anyone posted credible dyno results in manual 3rd or auto 6th to see the power curve all the way to redline? I understand that there will be more "gearing losses" than in a 1:1 gear.

Thanks!

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
Has anyone posted credible dyno results in manual 3rd or auto 6th to see the power curve all the way to redline? I understand that there will be more "gearing losses" than in a 1:1 gear.

Thanks!
Beefcake did a 6th gear run in its thread.

OP
OP
Phil@JDM

Phil@JDM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Bullitt, 2004 Cobra, 1968 Fastback
JDM engineering, I haven’t seen that name since the terminator days. What made you guys come back and support the 2018+?
We haven't gone anywhere, we have been supporting every generation mustang since the terminators, look on our blog we do s197's and s550's every week

Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Does the OP have a proper dynograph based on RPM, not time over distance...?

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Do you guys remember the 98-01 f body Camaros and trans ams ? The were rated at 300 hp and put down 300 to the wheels. When did the SAE stuff start happening?
Around 2004, after the Cobra fiasco and the LS1 dyno issues, like you posted.

Sponsored

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
To the "underrated" believers crowd..explain this to me.

Why would Ford produce some engines that produce exactly the amount of power they say..(right about 460 HP) but *also* produce some engines that crank out 485-490 HP?

Warranty work and legal defense relies on repeatable results. Consistency in repair and support dictates that certain components always perform at the same level within reason. Also think of lawsuits..

You take two randomly sampled engines from 2018 Mustang GT's..pull them out, put them on a test dyno in full SAE trim (full exhaust, intake and accessory drives, etc).

Engine 1 produces 460 HP, like advertised.

Engine 2 produces 485 HP, over advertised.

Engine 1's owner instantly files a lawsuit because Engine 2's owner paid the same price yet got 25 more HP. Ford now has to defend that in court.

That's why SAE certifications exist and are important.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Are you callling me out, don’t forget I have the unicorn :lol:
Naw. I'll give you a year or two to practice.:cheers:

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner

Why would Ford produce some engines that produce exactly the amount of power they say..(right about 460 HP) but *also* produce some engines that crank out 485-490 HP?

Warranty work and legal defense relies on repeatable results. Consistency in repair and support dictates that certain components always perform at the same level within reason. Also think of lawsuits..

You take two randomly sampled engines from 2018 Mustang GT's..pull them out, put them on a test dyno in full SAE trim (full exhaust, intake and accessory drives, etc).

Engine 1's owner instantly files a lawsuit because Engine 2's owner paid the same price yet got 25 more HP. Ford now has to defend that in court.

Good luck winning that one. The owners would need access to a certified engine dyno, and then they would have to simulate the same conditions. Even then, Ford can simply claim that engine 2 was not to spec and should be detuned under warranty. HP ratings never end up being an issue, unless you are overrating. The big issue today is fuel economy and emissions numbers. If those aren't consistent, the company will probably have some legal issues.

bill@cjpp

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cjponyparts.com
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
All the Mustangs

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI

Because no one is saying that is whats happening except people that dont understand math.

Based on my own observations of all the dynos so far THIS is what I PERSONALLY find the most likely event.
SAE allows 1% variance.
465-1% is 460(the advertised number)
465+1% is 470 (closer to what most people are getting when you factor in the proper drivetrain loss of 10-12%)

No one has posted a reliable number hinting that the engine is making over 470 without taking into account the older weather/sea level, ect.

All dynos have been mostly in the 413.5-423.5 range which is in line with the 10-12% loss estimate for manual and auto.
Sponsored