Sponsored

2018 mustang automatic question

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
The Mag-moss act states they have to prove it.
Are you prepared to spend the money proving that the software modification did not cause the hypothetical issue and also pay for a lawyer? Doesn't seem worth it over a tune that has shown no to be ineffective at boosting performance on the 2018+ GT.
Sponsored

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Burden of proof is on them, not the other way around.
And when they provide their "proof", it will be on you, the consumer, to fight it when you disagree with it.
ie: "the cylinder failed because your software modification caused extra strain to it".
As mentioned, most dealers will not care about a tune with warranty issues (unless you somehow corrupted the ECM), but let's not pretend it will be an easy thing to fight if you're denied warranty coverage over the said tune. Go ask a Focus RS owner how easy fighting their voided warranty was on what was found to be a factory defect.

To your other point about the tunes, I've yet to see any real-world benefits from any of those things on a 2018+ GT. If you have tangible examples I would be eager to see them (I'm not being sarcastic).

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I love how whenever warranty comes up it turns into an argument. I think what I said was pretty sound advice: ASSUME the power train warranty won’t be honored. As shown above, the warranty manual says it won’t be honored if you tune it and that caused the issue. Then I went on to say that your local dealer may be fine with you tuning the car. Never said anything would be voided entirely. Never said you won’t get your car fixed if something happens.

It’s pretty simple: when modifying these cars outside factory specs you have to assume the costs to repair THE SYSTEMS YOU MODIFIED will be your responsibility. You may get a repair covered under warranty, but when a $400 tuner/flash can cause severe engine damage that may not be covered I think people need to know that they might be on the hook for a $10k repair.

At the end of the day, you do what you want with your car. It’s your time and money. For something as pointless as a governor removal on a stock car, to me it’s not worth the risks of losing warranty coverage for just that and the minimal performance increases on the 18+ cars.

Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB
How do these voided warranty discussions keep happening after all this time?

Nothing you do to any car under warranty can void it. When you take your car to be repaired, the dealer or company will either approve or deny your warranty repair. If it is denied that doesn't mean your warranty is gone, it just means the dealer will not warranty that particular part in this instance.

Yes, the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act theoretically protects your from warranty claims that are denied because the car has been modified, assuming the mod didn't case the problem, but you would need the time and money to prove that. If you can even find a lawyer who will take your case, you will then need to hire experts that will testify. But the other side will also have experts, so it comes down to whose experts does the jury believe. Now, many company's have an arbitration process that they either pay for or is at least much cheaper.

I will say I have had warranty work done of modified cars with no issue. I had my transmission replaced on my 11 year old Expedition that was lifted and had 35" tires.

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Alright I will let you guys know the top speed once I get the governer removed.
Sounds good man. Just be safe. You’re going to need a pretty good amount of room to hit the aerodynamic speed limit and then slow down.

Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I'd estimate a top speed of around 175 mph with the 460-470 hp that these cars produce and their aerodynamics. With the right aerodynamics the car makes enough power to go faster, but I'm estimating that isn't the case with the Mustang body. Also, 9th and 10th gears are likely too tall of gears to hit those very high speeds, so I'm guessing that a top speed run would be done in either 7th or 8th gear.

tjace34

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Very little, like 20-ish lbs, though that may be the PP2 front + rear spoilers, the PP1 may just be cosmetic, I cannot remember off the top of my head.

Flashing the ECU does indeed potentially void warranty, key wording there is potentially. The dealership can see that the ecu has been modified, even if you flash it back prior to service. However, it depends on the dealership and service department as to if they’ll attempt to claim the tune is what caused whatever issue you’re bringing the car in for - generally, if you have a good relationship with your dealership (and if they aren’t jerks) there won’t be an issue.
But, at the same time, with the exception of E85 tunes, tuning the 2018+ Mustang has shown to be kinda worthless in terms of 0-60 and 1/4 performance... so, is it really worth it for an extra 10ish mph top speed. :p

The main goal of the 2018 Ford Mustang GT Performance Pack Level 1 is to make more downforce at higher speeds for improved handling. This means adding a more advanced front spiltter as well as a redesigned rear spoiler. The new “coffee table splitter” is reported to add 24 pounds of downforce at 80 mph. On the rear of the car, the new spoiler is said to make 60 pounds of downforce, also measured at 80 mph.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The main goal of the 2018 Ford Mustang GT Performance Pack Level 1 is to make more downforce at higher speeds for improved handling. This means adding a more advanced front spiltter as well as a redesigned rear spoiler. The new “coffee table splitter” is reported to add 24 pounds of downforce at 80 mph. On the rear of the car, the new spoiler is said to make 60 pounds of downforce, also measured at 80 mph.
You confused PP1 and PP2.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
You confused PP1 and PP2.
Indeed. I do believe the PP1 spoiler is purely cosmetic and adds no downforce.

OP
OP

maxcraig00

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Automatic
So basically double the speed double the downforce. So if I were going about 150 I would have about 160 pounds of downforce in the back end?

Sponsored
OP
OP

maxcraig00

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Automatic
So basically double the speed double the downforce. So if I were going about 150 I would have about 160 pounds of downforce in the back end?
Sorry I mean 120lbs

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, as already stated, his info was regarding Performance Pack Level 2, not Level 1.

lil'Zeus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane Landis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 1993 Ford Lightning 2018 Jeep Unlimited Sahara 2004 Ford F150
In the Big Blue Mile Shootout in Nebraska last year I went 156.2-156.3 on 5 passes laying on the limiter each run. We had a head wind also but I feel the car would have done 160-162 mph had it not been fir the speed limiter. That estimate may be a bit optimistic though. I have heard you can pull a fuse that disables the speed limiter and they do this on the dyno. I’m unclear if that will work on the street so maybe someone who is a ford tech or ford computer guru can chime in on this thought. I took a screen shot last month of a discussion on a FB page for reference. Anyone have concrete input on this???
24BDCE57-7F4A-42D3-A0E2-0B003A1F08F8.jpeg

tjace34

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack

tjace34

Threads
Reaction score
First Name