Sponsored

Looking at buying S550 - disappointed

Rdot9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT Premium w/ Performance Package
^ This

Go drive an old 60s/70s muscle car with 400hp, then drive a newer car with 400hp. I bet the new car feels much slower but in reality is probably faster and more refined.

When the first new camaros came out my dad had a 400+hp 69 Chevelle, 4-speed that I loved driving then he picked up a new 2SS Camaro, 5-speed and it felt much slower until I started paying attention to the speedo.

That and as previously stated, a tune makes a huge difference in driving feel.
Sponsored

bigjohns97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT 401a M6 RR
Welcome to electronic controlled TB and TRQ limited powertrains.

Allows the OEM to claim a peak HP number and still protect parts under warranty, and once the owner finds how slow 436 HP is and loads an aftermarket tune they don't have to honor the warranty.

It's a fucking racket!

EDIT : also the car is very refined and smooth compares to a 2003 much less a 2014.

ghst

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP 401a RIP
You're also suffering from the "it's so refined I can't feel the speed" syndrome with the S550. A stock GT PP feels WAY slower than it is...and then you look at the speedo. Comparing to a tuned car isn't valid, and tuning these cars makes a huge difference in how violent and fast they feel.
I can agree with this 100%.

The other day I was in sport mode, and started blasting through the gears for fun on the highway. Assumed I was going the speed limit, but the speedo was definitely a lot higher...

These cars are extremely smooth, they don't feel as fast as they truly are.

AppoTheApple

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tien
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT DIB
You're also suffering from the "it's so refined I can't feel the speed" syndrome with the S550. A stock GT PP feels WAY slower than it is...and then you look at the speedo. Comparing to a tuned car isn't valid, and tuning these cars makes a huge difference in how violent and fast they feel.
Exactly this. When I went to test drive my car after having an '06 V6, I was almost scared to drive it with someone else in the car. Once I started driving though, I was honestly surprised at how smooth the car felt. I was at 80mph without even realizing it.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I drive on the highway at like a minimum 80 mph and feel the same as going 35 in my Toyota. I am going to get such a huge ticket someday... :(

Sponsored

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
I have both an '01 GT 5 speed man. and a '16 GT auto with 3:15, both stock and it's a pretty noticeable difference between the two in acceleration and in top end.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
That's because of the linear power delivery of most newer cars. My first Mustang I drove was a 2013 GT. Actually it was my first RWD V8 I ever driven. To be quite honest I was expecting more, a lot more. It just felt too smooth. Then my 2nd Mustang was a 2012 GT500. I was expecting to be floored by it after being a big 03/04 Cobra fan for 10+ years. Again, I wasn't impressed with the feeling at all considering the power. I just think it has to do with the way the cars are tuned and built now. The power delivery is just smoother compared to your older cars.

I have a GT PP with just a tune and intake and it feels nothing like it did stock. The car pulls hard and will smash you to the seat from start to the end of the gears. The more you wind these cars out, the more you will grin.

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Wait....are you saying your 2v 4.6 feels faster than either of the coyote cars? I can see the s197 5.0 car feeling faster than the s550s. Especially if it had been tuned. But if your 03 GT feels faster, something is seriously wrong. Yes, the s550 is heavier than the sn95 but it also has almost 200 hp more. The new car isn't that much heavier.

OP
OP
merc123

merc123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 PP Premium GT
Wait....are you saying your 2v 4.6 feels faster than either of the coyote cars? I can see the s197 5.0 car feeling faster than the s550s. Especially if it had been tuned. But if your 03 GT feels faster, something is seriously wrong. Yes, the s550 is heavier than the sn95 but it also has almost 200 hp more. The new car isn't that much heavier.

On the S550's not on the '14 that had the tune. That had great Acceleration feel. When I thought 425-435 HP I was like "ohhhh" but my 03 definitely feels faster. It really pushed you back in the seat. My race car was 550 HP and you knew it had it. The S550 400+ just doesn't feel like 400 HP. Speed wise and 0-60 you know it's a 400 HP car but the butt dyno does not.

OP
OP
merc123

merc123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 PP Premium GT
I have both an '01 GT 5 speed man. and a '16 GT auto with 3:15, both stock and it's a pretty noticeable difference between the two in acceleration and in top end.
What differences are you noticing?

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Plus the stock exhaust is so quiet you might as well feel like driving a camry.
I have super loud exhaust and it feels faster.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
On the S550's not on the '14 that had the tune. That had great Acceleration feel. When I thought 425-435 HP I was like "ohhhh" but my 03 definitely feels faster. It really pushed you back in the seat. My race car was 550 HP and you knew it had it. The S550 400+ just doesn't feel like 400 HP. Speed wise and 0-60 you know it's a 400 HP car but the butt dyno does not.
It's all about smooth torque band and high rpm power.
Coyote is so nice all the way to redline not peaking at 3500rpm and dies at 5000rpm.
Plus your 03 is not as hefty as the S550 so same amount of torque would feel faster.

Warhead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I can agree with this 100%.

The other day I was in sport mode, and started blasting through the gears for fun on the highway. Assumed I was going the speed limit, but the speedo was definitely a lot higher...

These cars are extremely smooth, they don't feel as fast as they truly are.
Such a good point, my 71 Mach 1 probably isn't even as quick as my 2015 Ecoboost but it feels like all the energy you could possibly summon is behind the thing when flooring it!

I can get up to 110MPH on the interstate sometimes and it's just smooth as glass and quiet in my 2015.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Another nonsensical thread. Mid 12 second cars that have lack luster acceleration?? What exactly does your 2003 GT run?

Fripp64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 PP Mustang GT
:clap2: :thumbsup: :hail:

This all day long...there is a built in refinement that does take away from the visceral feel of older cars...hence the comparison to getting closer to a European feel on these s550....as a long time BMW owner I've said again and again...this car is really getting close to that ride quality.
My 2 cents
Sponsored