Sponsored

Looking at buying S550 - disappointed

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
I went from a Mazda to a Mustang and almost crapped my pants. Got bored and used to it. Then I tuned up the Mustang and almost crapped my pants again. Now I am just craving for more. If I traded it in for a V8, I would likely shit myself.
Sponsored

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
What differences are you noticing?
The '16 just accelerates noticeably faster. Granted the '01 has 100k miles, but it runs strong and doesn't have any issues. I'm not sure what gears it has, but is fairly low compared to the 3:15's in the '16.

The biggest difference is the 4.6 doesn't rev near as fast as the 5.0 does through the gears. I can definitely feel the 175 hp difference, especially in sport mode. It's not apples to apples with different gear ratios and manual vs auto as your driving both manuals.

I haven't driven a manual '16 or '17 GT, but I did drive a '11 SS LS3 and felt like you do about the new Mustangs. Don't get me wrong, it was fast, but I wasn't impressed with it till it got over 4K rpms. Again I don't know what gears it had, but I expected more. I don't feel that way with my auto '16. And I may have been in too high a gear in the manual to get that pull or in the rpm band that the auto does for you

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Oh and the other thing, I'm certain the one you test drove was on 87 octane. There is a negligible peak power difference, but the mid-range torque is quite a bit stronger on 93 octane. It is adaptive.

Sponsored

OP
OP
merc123

merc123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 PP Premium GT
Oh and the other thing, I'm certain the one you test drove was on 87 octane. There is a negligible peak power difference, but the mid-range torque is quite a bit stronger on 93 octane. It is adaptive.
I'm sure it was. The 14 was a 93 tune also.

dont tune

#8 cylinder will get ya
I saw that. Supposedly they have fixed it and Bama (I think) has a warranty if bought after a certain date?

Last edited:

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I'll agree that the pull in the first two gears doesn't feel a strong a you'd think it might. Where I really notice the power in this car is that it keeps pulling HARD in gears 3-4. My 01 GT and 08 GT pulled seemingly as hard out of the hole but after first gear was wound out that was about it. FWIW my 90 GT Felt fast as shit, but it ran in the 14s. Anything feels fast when it's all over the road.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sure it was. The 14 was a 93 tune also.

I saw that. Supposedly they have fixed it and Bama (I think) has a warranty if bought after a certain date.
And the 93 tune gets even more out of it, so yeah, big difference. The way the car pulls in gears 3-5 is addictive. That also is what impresses me the most.

No cylinder 8 trouble reported on the Gen 2 Coyote.

Excelerater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
The S550 needs a power adder
plain and simple. Its my opinion the stroke of the 5.0
is too small for NA in a 4000 lb brick..

Thats why I added a Whipple :headbang:

OP
OP
merc123

merc123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 PP Premium GT
I'll agree that the pull in the first two gears doesn't feel a strong a you'd think it might. Where I really notice the power in this car is that it keeps pulling HARD in gears 3-4. My 01 GT and 08 GT pulled seemingly as hard out of the hole but after first gear was wound out that was about it. FWIW my 90 GT Felt fast as shit, but it ran in the 14s. Anything feels fast when it's all over the road.
Good point and my 03 was probably in the 15s. Mine was 80 at 3k and felt like you were doing 150 with the sound and road noise. That's one good thing about the S550 its pretty quiet but definitely need an exhaust change. I don't like a quiet exhaust.

Sponsored

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Someone FI in Georgia needs to take this guy for a spin.
The motor is the real 50th gift to the community. FI ready for 600-800 RWHP.
Add 100RWHP for 2018...

Dak2Zeke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 428
Does a tune actually make it faster? Or just help with shift points? Just picked my 17 GT up a few weeks back, love it so far. Probably going to enjoy it these year before installing BMR lockout kit and a tune.

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
check out Atlanta S550's and come out to one of the meets and see if someone will take you for a spin in our modded GT's. Plenty of fast cars in the area and i'm sure someone would be more than happy to give you a ride.

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
Does a tune actually make it faster? Or just help with shift points? Just picked my 17 GT up a few weeks back, love it so far. Probably going to enjoy it these year before installing BMR lockout kit and a tune.
you're doing yourself a disservice running it without the CB005 if you already have it waiting to go on. The car is so much better with it.

Dak2Zeke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 428
you're doing yourself a disservice running it without the CB005 if you already have it waiting to go on. The car is so much better with it.
Do you find it really helps with acceleration/traction? I heard it's probably the best bang for your buck and great things about BMR, going to do it soon. Haven't actually bought them yet. Did u get it off American Muscle? How difficult is the install?
Sponsored