Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Thanks Patrick for your experience and help. I'm hoping someone here can further this unit with its few problems. I still really like it and think for the money it does a lot.
Sponsored

PatrickHenninger

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - Oxford White
Thanks Patrick for your experience and help. I'm hoping someone here can further this unit with its few problems. I still really like it and think for the money it does a lot.
Are you willing to root it? You will be ahead of the game if you do.

OP
OP
Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Are you willing to root it? You will be ahead of the game if you do.
Man I don't have the confidence working with these systems. I was hoping maybe someone else would take the lead this. What all is involved and what's the risk?

PatrickHenninger

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Man I don't have the confidence working with these systems. I was hoping maybe someone else would take the lead this. What all is involved and what's the risk?

Easiest route is follow the method on the stangatx website in my signature for the Tesla unit. Connect to WiFi, download the Kingroot.apk from the site, run it, let it work it's magic, and you're rooted. Rebooting and screen blips are completely normal during root. If you PM StangATX he can give you the username and password to access the files on the site if you can't get to them.

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
If I had the unit I would give it a go as I am in IT...but I don't have it yet (other mods come first, lol). What intrigued me the most about this unit is the RCA out since I have a JL amp and 2-10" subs...also, I wanted to still have mechanical AC controls because on the Kenwood I used to have, AC controls on it were painfully slow.

Sponsored

jpr1957

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Auto
At this point I'm happy with the Seicane unit as built.

I decided to try using my Samsung Android smartphone as a wi-fi hotspot instead of bluetooth. Since I have an account I installed the SiriusXM app so I could have a nice web page to look at showing the artist and song title. It looks and works great. A lot better than when I was sending music from my phone to the Seicane unit via bluetooth. No song title or artist or graphics of any kind that way. I will probably only use the bluetooth for the phone. With the hotspot the internet is always available in the Mustang dash on the big screen.

I then installed Google maps. Again, using my phone as a wi-fi hotspot it works and looks great. I like it as good or better than the Garmin I have in a Kenwood double din unit. In Google Drive you can switch to satellite view which I don't know of any other system that offers that.

I just did a 400 mile road trip over the Cascade Mountains to Wenatchee and back with some side trips. I really wanted to try this thing out on the road. I did lose satellite signal going over a lesser traveled pass. I never lost a signal on the interstate. I had music loaded on a USB to play during that time. The Google nav worked fantastic. It was always displaying travel time to my home in a little pop up window.

I never did get the OBD II unit to work. The set up is pretty simple. I found a web site that said there have been problems with the cheap copies of the ELM 327 bluetooth sending unit that attaches to the OBD port.

Last night as I was putting the car in the garage and moving the shift lever into reverse I saw a zoomed out normal rear camera view for a moment. I found that when the shifter is just a little bit forward in the R reverse location the camera displays a normal view! I'm not sure what this means but I intend to figure it out. It might have something to do with a switch on the shifter mechanism. Hmmm.....

Last edited:

5.0_SD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
YEEESSSSS....keep going [MENTION=28928]jpr1957[/MENTION]! great work brother!

16stangGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So there's no way this unit works if I already have the factory 8" screen and silver toggle switches??

I want to keep the screen size I have now or possibly go bigger but don't know of any other options.

Everything seems to be 7" screen size...

Anyone know of other possible options?

PatrickHenninger

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So there's no way this unit works if I already have the factory 8" screen and silver toggle switches??

I want to keep the screen size I have now or possibly go bigger but don't know of any other options.

The Tesla Unit.

5.0_SD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
What Patrick said...the tesla style would be perfect for you [MENTION=26604]16stangGT[/MENTION]

Sponsored

PatrickHenninger

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I see you're in NC, if you're on the Eastern side, I can show you the Tesla Unit in person.

5.0_SD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Any new news , anybody? Do any of you who have this unit have subs connected to it? If so, is your remote turn for the amp coming of the unit or from somewhere else?

Whittey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard EB PP
I think I found a design flaw in these Mustangs. When I was unhooking the battery cables I laid a nut driver down between the battery and the fender. There is an opening there and it rolled inside the fender. I could hear it fall down to the bottom rear corner of the fender. I went under the car and pulled back the inner fender where it meets the bottom side trim. The nut driver is inside sill that runs along the bottom of the body! I'm going to have to loosen the inner fender to get it out. I might have to remove the front wheel. Grrrrr! I want to get that out before I move the car outside and drive it to try the GPS. When I installed a Kenwood stereo in my F150 the GPS didn't work in the garage either.
Turn the wheel all the way to the left and you can get them out. Just pop the clips (There's a boatload of them, including one underneath that you can't see if it's on the ground but you can feel it) and it'll come off easily enough. Had to do the same when routing power for my system install and found a 3/8" extension that must have fallen down when I did my intake/exhaust. It's really not that bad and you definitely don't have to remove the wheel.

OP
OP
Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Any new news , anybody? Do any of you who have this unit have subs connected to it? If so, is your remote turn for the amp coming of the unit or from somewhere else?
I'm not yet driving the car as spring is being held off by a stubborn winter. Today I messed around loading different wallpaper and the started creating playlists in YouTube. It's so cool having you tube music with video themes playing and it sounds sooooo good! Yes I have used the Seicane pre amp outputs including the sub output to run 6 amplified speakers and 2 10" Rockford Fosgate powered subs. The sound and video effect on screen is really captivating and addictive. I can't believe I have this in my car:headbang: The music experience is truely amazing now with deep bass and really clear mids and highs.

5.0_SD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=16819]Roh92cp[/MENTION] bummer about winter....going to hit 89 in central florida this week :tsk:
So cool about the preamp outs etc...where did you run the amp switched power from? ignition? the Seicane?
Sponsored