Sponsored

Switching out interior LEDs - blown fuse - replacement not working

Aurum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So I'm doing the Diode Dynamic/Raxiom LED upgrade mod.

Of course I blew out a fuse and the trunk, vanity mirrors, and glove box lights no longer work.

I replaced the 10a micro2 fuse but none of them are lighting up still. It's my first time replacing a fuse -- its securely inserted. Is there a wait time before power comes back or did I do something worse?
Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
they should come right back on, no waiting.
Did the new fuse blow when you inserted it?
If so, you have a dead short at the point that the fuse blew the first time.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
^^^ This. My bet is the glove compartment. Changing that bulb was a PITA and not worth it. Possible something is shorted in there if the new fuse blew.

OP
OP
Aurum

Aurum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
If I remove all the lights and pop in a new fuse, will I be able to diagnose that way or will the dead short fry the fuse regardless of whether there's a light inserted?

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
If I remove all the lights and pop in a new fuse, will I be able to diagnose that way or will the dead short fry the fuse regardless of whether there's a light inserted?
If for example when you pushed the new bulb in, you mashed the 2 contacts together and they are stuck like that, it will keep shorting.

If the bulb is just pushing the 2 contacts together, it's possible they will separate when you remove the bulb.

Either way, removing the bulb is definitely the first step. Check the fuse with an ohm meter or fuse tester. Again, I would definitely start with the glove compartment light. A lot of people blew fuses installing that bulb.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Aurum

Aurum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I can't even see the connectors in the glove box. Is there a way to remove the assembly?

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Might be easier to see if you swing the glove box door down.
Squeeze the sides at the stops when it is open and it will swing straight down.

OP
OP
Aurum

Aurum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Thankfully it wasn't the glovebox. It was the trunk light. Super easy fix when I realized that the two connectors were touching.

Thanks for the help.

Btw, is it normal for the trunk LED housing to jiggle a bit? I thought it was originally super secure/tight before upgrading the LED.

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
Thankfully it wasn't the glovebox. It was the trunk light. Super easy fix when I realized that the two connectors were touching.

Thanks for the help.

Btw, is it normal for the trunk LED housing to jiggle a bit? I thought it was originally super secure/tight before upgrading the LED.
Yeah it'll jiggle a bit. Not sure how you mashed up the trunk one, that's the easy part. The glove box one is a bitch if you don't remove the assembly first.

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
I also just blew the same fuse while replacing the bulb in he trunk light with a led one. This seems to be a common issue with people replacing the bulb in the trunk or in the glove box. For other people to know, it’s fuse #1 in the fuse box located in the passenger’s compartment.
Sponsored