Sponsored

Diode Dynamics glove box LED blown fuse?

argile2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
Today I installed my lights and I will say that the Glove Box is a pain. I also blew the fuse when doing the trunk. Not sure how because I unplugged the connector... Anyways, I ended up removing the entire glove box switch. A: Because it ended up being easier B: I bent the contactor really bad. So basically I had to tear down the switch and kinda rebuild it. If you do not remove the entire switch, having the inner glove box door open helps.
Sponsored

argile2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
When I was searching around for answers someone commented on diode dynamics YouTube installation video and had the same problem as me. Including burning out the glove box switch. He had to take his mustang back to the dealer to have the switch replaced. When I called diode dynamics to get their advice they said it's not uncommon for a fuse to blow when changing the bulbs. Either way, if people want to be extra careful when changing the lights they may want to pull the fuse.
It is not really possible to burn out the switch. I am curious about that part.

Rig Dawg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT
I installed my trunk light LED with no issues - pulled the assembled as in the video.
Something happened while replacing the glove box light - now that light and trunk light no longer work.
Anyone have a suggestion?

OP
OP
racer24crm

racer24crm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT
I installed my trunk light LED with no issues - pulled the assembled as in the video.
Something happened while replacing the glove box light - now that light and trunk light no longer work.
If the vanity lights, dome lights, and the home link don't work then you most likely blew the fuse like I did. Also, the dome lights work if the car is off but they will not work when the engine is running.

Rig Dawg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT
Thanks - I will start the car in the morning and see what works and what doesn't.
Changing light bulbs is simple, right...?

Sponsored

OP
OP
racer24crm

racer24crm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT
Thanks - I will start the car in the morning and see what works and what doesn't.
Changing light bulbs is simple, right...?
Haha, that's what I thought. Fortunately, changing the fuse in the passenger fuse box isn't too bad. There's a spare 15 amp fuse in slot 31 you can use until you get the 10 amp replacement. The blown fuse will be in slot 1.

It's a bit awkward laying down in the car so you can get the panel off. The trick to getting the panel off is to push it up, you should see the panel unlock itself. Then grab both sides of the panel and pull straight back. There's a metal clip that holds it to wall.

I should warn you that the glove box light may not work at all now. Someone else had this problem and had to have the glove box switch replaced by the dealer. Mine doesn't work so I'm gonna pull the led and put the old one back so when I get it serviced next time I can put in a warranty claim.

argile2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
Replace the 10 amp fuse. Look in your manual for its location. It will be labeled demand lighting.

argile2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
Haha, that's what I thought. Fortunately, changing the fuse in the passenger fuse box isn't too bad. There's a spare 15 amp fuse in slot 31 you can use until you get the 10 amp replacement. The blown fuse will be in slot 1.

It's a bit awkward laying down in the car so you can get the panel off. The trick to getting the panel off is to push it up, you should see the panel unlock itself. Then grab both sides of the panel and pull straight back. There's a metal clip that holds it to wall.

I should warn you that the glove box light may not work at all now. Someone else had this problem and had to have the glove box switch replaced by the dealer. Mine doesn't work so I'm gonna pull the led and put the old one back so when I get it serviced next time I can put in a warranty claim.

Yeah the glove box light can be tricky, you really cant screw the switch up to were it needs replaced, but I did bend my contacts and had to remove the switch, tear it down and re-bend the contacts. Its not that difficult. Someone on the thread popped the door out of its track and that gave em great room to work. So that might be an idea.

OP
OP
racer24crm

racer24crm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT
Yeah the glove box light can be tricky, you really cant screw the switch up to were it needs replaced, but I did bend my contacts and had to remove the switch, tear it down and re-bend the contacts. Its not that difficult. Someone on the thread popped the door out of its track and that gave em great room to work. So that might be an idea.
Really? I may have to give this a try. Have any tips or steps to get it out?

Sponsored

Rig Dawg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT

Thanks. Started the car this morning and map lights worked fine, but trunk and glove box lamps do not. Will troubleshoot this evening after work.
I appreciate the info all of you are providing on this forum.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Wiring diagrams for glove box, etc interior lights and for luggage compartment.
Note that the glove box light appears to be 2 LEDs.

Diode Dynamics

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost
Sorry for all the trouble guys, I know a lot of you are trying to install bulbs you've purchased from us.

I didn't have any issue when installing ours, but then again I've put a few in. If you're not sure, you might unplug your battery while installing.

What's happening is just that the contacts on the bulbs are bridging the socket, if the bulb isn't rotated properly this can happen. It's just cause it's kind of tricky to see what you're doing. I tried to point out in the video to hold the bulb in the same orientation, but seems it's a bit trickier than that!

We're working on including more detailed information with each kit- we might recommend unplugging battery when doing this bulb.

Again, sorry for any trouble guys, but normally it's just a fuse.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Sorry for all the trouble guys, I know a lot of you are trying to install bulbs you've purchased from us.

I didn't have any issue when installing ours, but then again I've put a few in. If you're not sure, you might unplug your battery while installing.

What's happening is just that the contacts on the bulbs are bridging the socket, if the bulb isn't rotated properly this can happen. It's just cause it's kind of tricky to see what you're doing. I tried to point out in the video to hold the bulb in the same orientation, but seems it's a bit trickier than that!

We're working on including more detailed information with each kit- we might recommend unplugging battery when doing this bulb.

Again, sorry for any trouble guys, but normally it's just a fuse.
I found that the glovebox switch also does pop out, its held in by 2 clips. It is a tight fit and the metal bulb holder Ford uses is very flimsy. If you push too hard on a miss itll bend the clips and you'll never get a bulb in.

I had to take out the whoel switch and re-bend the clips and put the unit back together, which was a pain, but it works perfect.

But if you cant get the bulb into the glove box, I suggest people reach behind the socket and take it off the clips so it comes out hanging by the cord. Then the bulb is a 2 second job and snap the switch back into place with the plunger through the hole (which turns off the light when closed)

Ecobeast305

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Ecoboost Premium
I just installed led on the map lights, trunk, back up and vanity mirrors.... The glovebox I saved it for last since I know is gonna be a pain... Any suggestions on an easier way to do it? Btw no fuses blown as of now
Sponsored