Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
  • Banned
Let's hear it!
I've been running the idea through my head of a 700+ crank hp 5.2L flatplane Voodoo Naturally Aspirated engine. It "could" be done!
Let's hear what you think and your ideas. But it's got to be naturally aspirated only. I know were limited on parts (cams, intakes, etc) so custom pieces will be needed. No doubt the crank and block will survive, as will the heads.
I would knife edge the crank.
Titanium rods.
Forged Pistons.
Rework the heads.
Custom intake / induction and fuel system.
Raise the compression.
Custom cams.
2" headers.
9000+ RPM!
Sponsored

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
You are probably pushing it a bit, but it wouldn't be a tame driver for sure.

legendary mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 mustang gt
Let's hear it!
I've been running the idea through my head of a 700+ crank hp 5.2L flatplane Voodoo Naturally Aspirated engine. It "could" be done!
Let's hear what you think and your ideas. But it's got to be naturally aspirated only. I know were limited on parts (cams, intakes, etc) so custom pieces will be needed. No doubt the crank and block will survive, as will the heads.
I would knife edge the crank.
Titanium rods.
Forged Pistons.
Rework the heads.
Custom intake / induction and fuel system.
Raise the compression.
Custom cams.
2" headers.
9000+ RPM!
that my friend would be amazing:cheers:
:ford:

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned

Sponsored

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned

GuardGT

is currently pooping
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crimson GT 10r80

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
15 Gt PP Roush SC'ed/16 GT 350 TrackPack 1970 Mach1
What would be really nice, and probably the only way I'd mod my GT 350. I wish Shelby America would offer some sort of conversions simmer to, obviously not the same but like what they did with the GT500 of previous years. AKA the Super Snake!

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
Apparently you don't know that the 5.2's have forged internals already. I have multiple internal Ford documents stating so.. lol.

Not to mention you're looking for power in the wrong direction. Flat plane crank motors are not meant for gobs of horsepower and torque. Look at most N/A Ferrari's. 600hp is about it. Flat plane is meant for sustained power across a broad RPM range. It's power for road racing and corner carving.

Sponsored

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Apparently you don't know that the 5.2's have forged internals already. I have multiple internal Ford documents stating so.. lol.

Not to mention you're looking for power in the wrong direction. Flat plane crank motors are not meant for gobs of horsepower and torque. Look at most N/A Ferrari's. 600hp is about it. Flat plane is meant for sustained power across a broad RPM range. It's power for road racing and corner carving.
Lol? The speciale has the highest specific HP and TQ of any naturally aspirated production engine.

Anyway Voodooo, I've looked into this.

Mahle makes the Pistons for Ford and as of right now the best we can do is the 12.5CR pistons they used for the 5.2 crossplane exhibit they built. It'll give us .5 more CR. Nobody that I found makes flat valves for another .3 bump. I'm not even sure if our stock valves are flat.

Anyway, camshafts don't exist yet because of our firing order. I'm sure we can get custom ground sets but they limit the lift and duration increase over stock - assuming we won't experience piston to valve contact with more lift.

Furthermore, our engine will not do 9,000 RPMs. The piston speed will be too great, we need a more over square setup, and if we achieve it with a destroked crank, we'll have less power and torque because of displacement.

As of right now, this engine doesn't have a lot of internal support, and I believe for good reason. Ford basically maxed it from the factory.

PS: the heads are already cnc port/machined. I don't think there is much additional material to remove. It may lose power after that point and critical cooling from the passages being so thin.

As for intakes, we don't have another option except for custom, but then we need a new hood, lose our brace. Stock manifold will limit power to the 8,000rpm area.

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)

No I'm quite aware of the stock internals. But I wouldn't build an engine of this caliber with them. First of all the stock parts are to heavy. A lighter rod and piston will be a better choice. Ross, mahle pistons and Oliver, Manley rods would also be a stronger lighter choice. The stock balancer would go along with the flywheel. Race prep the crank with knife edging and polishing.

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Lol? The speciale has the highest specific HP and TQ of any naturally aspirated production engine.

Anyway Voodooo, I've looked into this.

Mahle makes the Pistons for Ford and as of right now the best we can do is the 12.5CR pistons they used for the 5.2 crossplane exhibit they built. It'll give us .5 more CR. Nobody that I found makes flat valves for another .3 bump. I'm not even sure if our stock valves are flat.

Anyway, camshafts don't exist yet because of our firing order. I'm sure we can get custom ground sets but they limit the lift and duration increase over stock - assuming we won't experience piston to valve contact with more lift.

Furthermore, our engine will not do 9,000 RPMs. The piston speed will be too great, we need a more over square setup, and if we achieve it with a destroked crank, we'll have less power and torque because of displacement.

As of right now, this engine doesn't have a lot of internal support, and I believe for good reason. Ford basically maxed it from the factory.

PS: the heads are already cnc port/machined. I don't think there is much additional material to remove. It may lose power after that point and critical cooling from the passages being so thin.

As for intakes, we don't have another option except for custom, but then we need a new hood, lose our brace. Stock manifold will limit power to the 8,000rpm area.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but I'm thinking outside of the box here.
Mahle isn't the only piston in town. But I know what you are saying. Same goes for custom cams as I said at the beginning of my post. Last year when I received my GT350 I was the first to trial fit the cobra jet intake and was the first for the long tube headers. I know the cobra jet intake will hit the hood and the voodoos oil pan only give 1/2-3/4" oil pan to K member clearance stock. So lowering the engine to clear the stock hood is out of the question. I have already contacted hogan intakes months ago for a custom intake manifold for the clearances allowed.
Just because the stock heads are CNC ported does not mean they are maxed out or ideally for higher hp. I'm not saying this would be an easy feat! But it can be done.
Their will always be naysayer. It's gotta start somewhere. Just depends on how deep the pockets are. I would never go forced induction. I like a challenge! Time will tell. This is a brand new engine. A builder such as John kaase would be up to the task.
With my long tubes and Lund tune I'm producing over 600 crank Hp now. The potential for more is there by opening up the motor.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
I'm not disagreeing with you, but I'm thinking outside of the box here.
Mahle isn't the only piston in town. But I know what you are saying. Same goes for custom cams as I said at the beginning of my post. Last year when I received my GT350 I was the first to trial fit the cobra jet intake and was the first for the long tube headers. I know the cobra jet intake will hit the hood and the voodoos oil pan only give 1/2-3/4" oil pan to K member clearance stock. So lowering the engine to clear the stock hood is out of the question. I have already contacted hogan intakes months ago for a custom intake manifold for the clearances allowed.
Just because the stock heads are CNC ported does not mean they are maxed out or ideally for higher hp. I'm not saying this would be an easy feat! But it can be done.
Their will always be naysayer. It's gotta start somewhere. Just depends on how deep the pockets are. I would never go forced induction. I like a challenge! Time will tell. This is a brand new engine. A builder such as John kaase would be up to the task.
With my long tubes and Lund tune I'm producing over 600 crank Hp now. The potential for more is there by opening up the motor.
Agree. I'm an NA guy also so I will follow whatever you have brewing.

An idea I've had from my Honda days regarding the variable cam timing is what's been done on the k24 Hondas.

Basically, a stock k24 intake cam gear will allow additional 25deg of advance throughout the rev range up to the high rpm curve where zero cam timing is required and its managed purely through the total ignition timing.

Anyway, people have been retro fitting k20 cam gears to allow 50deg of advance or machining the stock k24 gear to allow 40-50 advance. In our engines I'd be curious to know

1) the max cam advance in degrees during the factory tune
2) the physical limit of the advance cam gear
3) the distance and clearances of piston to valve, and valve to valve during maximum advance.

From here we can make tuning changes and see some healthy low end also.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I'd like to see you pull this off
Sponsored