Sponsored

Cross Country Trips

braggstang57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Has anyone done any long distance trips with their Stangs (particularly in the winter time). Any overheating or issues like that?

I have to move my GT from Richmond, VA to Tacoma, Washington this January. My car has been in storage for a year and I miss it terribly, so I figured I can put all those missed miles on it and see the USA all in one trip :D.
Sponsored

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
hell of a ride there. i would ship imo instead of having to wrap it in tape and risk it getting beat to hell but it would be a fun trip i'll give you that

Raul-7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 S-code FB
hell of a ride there. i would ship imo instead of having to wrap it in tape and risk it getting beat to hell but it would be a fun trip i'll give you that
ClearBra will work.

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
My advice, get a buddy to go with you and do it as fast as possible. I've done 6 cross country trips now and by far the best was taking my car from CT to GA over christmas from my parents house to my buddies parents house for new years, then across to San Diego. We managed the trip in 26 hours just driving nonstop and taking turns driving/napping.

Beats hotels and trying to plan where to stop by a long shot and costs way less.

Foxtrot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost
My advice, get a buddy to go with you and do it as fast as possible. I've done 6 cross country trips now and by far the best was taking my car from CT to GA over christmas from my parents house to my buddies parents house for new years, then across to San Diego. We managed the trip in 26 hours just driving nonstop and taking turns driving/napping.

Beats hotels and trying to plan where to stop by a long shot and costs way less.
That's what I did when I moved from Dallas to SF. Took about 46 hours. Beautiful drive

Sponsored

NotBlake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT (Base)
Drove my 15 GT manual from GA to CA and back for christmas last year (just short of 5,000 miles round trip). Got caught in a freak blizzard in new mexico on the way back and had to sleep in the car. Not because the mustang was stuck mind you, because a bunch of big rigs got caught on an iced-up overpass.

It was quite the adventure and I would absolutely do it again just for fun. These cars are great at high-speed highway cruising.

Blue Horse

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I took my 11 GT from South Florida to Reading Pa for the A/M car show last year,GREAT ride no problems.

OP
OP

braggstang57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Thank you all for the replies! What has everyone used to protect their paint jobs during a long trip? Can you buy clear bra at a local auto shop?

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
I just put 1500 miles on mine in a week... not for all the inside noise that ford won't fix (creaks and crap), it would have been an enjoyable trip. Then the bumper was a bit off at the front... it is plastic, so I was able to simply push it back into place. Fit and finish... oh well. edit: And I wish like hell I'd never replaced the stock mufflers... loud sounds great but after so many miles, I can't stand it. No drone, but the stop and go of driving gets to you after a while.

After the first leg of my trip, about 400 miles, I was ready to trade the car in for something a bit more pleasant.

Can't say I'll do another trip like that in a mustang... long trip in this car.

My old honda accord coupe was a much better long distance car.

Heck, I don't even have an intercooler and had not overheating issues... and I was driving fairly quickly... even drove behind an older GT convertible for a hundred miles or so... that was fun. You won't drive fast enough to have issues... at least where I went, the max speed was 70 mph... so I did 77 or 78. I'm sure you could get up to 100/120 here and there but that wont' strain an eccoboost, let alone a GT.

Last edited:

None2Slow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Performance package
I did a drive from Boise, Id to Sacramento, Ca which was about 550 miles. On the way back, I had to chain going over Donner Summit. I had no problems, other then trying to chain a Mustang GT with Premium and Peformance pack on no jack to get more tire access. Next month Im going on a 1300 mile trip from Boise, Id to Victoria, BC, Canada and looking forward to taking the Mustang.

Sponsored

rubyinla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
Piece of cake!!! Reclining seats, cruise control, Sirius radio, air conditioning, sound proofing, google maps on your phone, warranty and tow service if you break down.

My wife and I did road trips, over a 2 year period, from Dallas to SLC to LA to Savannah to LA in a '67 Mustang convertible. No reclining seats, no cruise control, 8 track tape player, AAA or fold out gas station maps, leaky top, towed an MGB and outran a tornado on the last leg.

Go for it! Road trip! :headbang:

OP
OP

braggstang57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Piece of cake!!! Reclining seats, cruise control, Sirius radio, air conditioning, sound proofing, google maps on your phone, warranty and tow service if you break down.

My wife and I did road trips, over a 2 year period, from Dallas to SLC to LA to Savannah to LA in a '67 Mustang convertible. No reclining seats, no cruise control, 8 track tape player, AAA or fold out gas station maps, leaky top, towed an MGB and outran a tornado on the last leg.

Go for it! Road trip! :headbang:
I need your confidence! Haha

skistoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 20" CO
Just did a NY to OK to TX to VA and back to NY trip in may.

Work and vacation trip so took a couple weeks.

Car did great, me and wife had no complaints with long drive days.

My only concern would be if you had to drive in winter weather.

The mustang can do it, but I wouldn't.

arghx7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
50 years Ecoboost
I do ~600 mile trips all the time in my 50 years/premium ecoboost with manual trans. The clutch is actually not bad when you sit in a bunch of stop and go. It's way more comfortable than 2005 CTS-V was for long road trips. I did Miami to Detroit in that, and the stiff suspension and clutch would wear you down.

Charles147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PP w/50AP
Has anyone done any long distance trips with their Stangs (particularly in the winter time). Any overheating or issues like that?

I have to move my GT from Richmond, VA to Tacoma, Washington this January. My car has been in storage for a year and I miss it terribly, so I figured I can put all those missed miles on it and see the USA all in one trip :D.
I've done a few 10+ hour trips in the Mustang. No issues to worry about except the normal stuff like have you done maintenance recently and are your tires in good shape.

We use the Mustang exclusively for long distance traveling. Enjoy!
Sponsored