Sponsored

In preparation for FI - while doing OPGS and Timing gear

jchristena

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I think part of the motivation is that you are already right there for the crank gear. It is a complete pain in the ass to get to and at that point all you have to do is slide it off the crank. Even if it wasn't a weak point, it would be worth it to me to not have to tear it down again.
Sponsored

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
The way I look at it is are you willing to bet your motor on it not failing? I made 11 1/2 mile passes a few days ago. Never worried for a second that my motor couldn't handle the torture test. Peace of mind let's you fully enjoy the car without worrying about whether something might break at any moment.

BDMACH1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
You wont need any gaskets. Everything is rubber o-ring type. Just need a few dabs of rtv here and there...
Hopefully you and Terry are correct! but...just in case, I have everything sitting here if there happens to be a problem!

Bob

desant89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium Auto
I am with zaquhree. I think if not doing the OPG and CG, then do a damper. That is what I did. I see people losing motors that already replaced OPG in here...Then you have ATI saying that they have never lost an OPG in a Coyote with their damper on it. So my thought was that I save the 1500 to 2k, and if it goes (which I in NO way want to happen by the way), I will use that savings towards doing things the absolute right way, and get a lower end made to handle all of this power.

esacteksab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I am with zaquhree. I think if not doing the OPG and CG, then do a damper. That is what I did. I see people losing motors that already replaced OPG in here...Then you have ATI saying that they have never lost an OPG in a Coyote with their damper on it. So my thought was that I save the 1500 to 2k, and if it goes (which I in NO way want to happen by the way), I will use that savings towards doing things the absolute right way, and get a lower end made to handle all of this power.
Of course ATI is going to say that. How else will they sell their product?

Who has lost a motor with OPG and/or crank gear that was the fault of those failed parts and not the block/tune/<insert other inferior part here>?

I doubt MMR will publish numbers on failed components, I know Livernois has implied that they've seen failed crank gears but provide nothing more than a tongue in cheek response.

Sponsored

desant89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium Auto
Of course ATI is going to say that. How else will they sell their product?

Who has lost a motor with OPG and/or crank gear that was the fault of those failed parts and not the block/tune/<insert other inferior part here>?

I doubt MMR will publish numbers on failed components, I know Livernois has implied that they've seen failed crank gears but provide nothing more than a tongue in cheek response.
That is exactly how I was thinking. Every item we are buying just in case ends up costing thousands of dollars when none of them have been proven to prevent anything at all. I only got the ATI damper as they had a few blems on Ebay cheap. Like I said, I will save the money and put it towards the safest option if necessary at some point.

zaquhree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 GT
the best people to ask are your tuners.

Shaun from AED is one of the most unbiased individuals I have ever met on essential mods and what is or isn't worth it. I still consult with him from time to time.

I haven't known Lund as long but he is proving to be an invaluable consultant on these questions as well.
Sponsored