Sponsored

Your thoughts on long term ownership and what will be "classics" one day.

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Guys, i hate to break it to you but our cars are way too common and sold way too well to ever be real collector cars, Classics for sure, but not the high value stuff you see at Barrett-Jackson.

The Ultra-rich people who attend those auctions are the true drivers of price and desirability. They have more money than they could hope to spend in a lifetime and so do their friends and neighbors. Comparing bank accounts is a bit too overt, and if one wants a $1million Bugatti Veyron, nothing stops the other from getting one optioned with a $160,000 clock or something. So they look to find something rare enough that their neighbor just can't buy. Sure anyone can buy a replica GT500 or a restored one, but only a precious few remain in original condition, or have a history like it was driven by Steve McQueen or something. Once you have it, no one else can buy it regardless of how much money they have, hence the demand for "numbers matching " nonsense, you can build a perfectly good car with original parts with enough cash, but you can't make a "numbers matching " one, and that is the only difference between it and the replica.

With over 100,000 S550 Mustangs sold each year for the last 3 years, you can bet your ass that in 20 years, there will be enough good looking ones around to keep prices low.

GT350s will be a bit better, but there will be enough around and likely better taken care of than regular Mustangs.

350Rs depend on how many Ford actually makes but there are enough that finding a good one is only going to be a test of how deep your pocket book is as well.

So in short, the only way our cars are going to be "collectible" is if the current owner becomes really famous or infamous and is dead so they can't add history to another one.
I'm 40, have no kids (or plans to), and have modified my EBM so it pretty much will never have any value to anyone other than me. I'll drive it till the wheels fall off or I wreck it or some Idiot offers me more than it's worth. it's a Deep impact Blue (no longer produced) 2015 (50th year) Ecoboost (Ok....that doesn't help) Manual(sold less than autos)with not a single option on it, that drove on the Nurburgring.

There can only be a hand full of those right..................?

Last edited:

kwpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach1
our cars are way too common and sold way too well to ever be real collector cars
my father said the same thing and I mean you quoted the same words he said to me back around 1977 concerning the 1st generation Mustang. :headbonk:

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
my father said the same thing and I mean you quoted the same words he said to me back around 1977 concerning the 1st generation Mustang. :headbonk:
Your Dad was a wise man Kevin

I can buy a decent first gen mustang for pretty reasonable money.
If you had bought one in 65 and spent the money on housing it and maintaining it, you would be in the red if you sold it at current market value.

Like I said it is definitely a Classic, but a regular first gen is neither rare, expensive nor particularly hard to find.

Sponsored

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Me too...prefer the '68:headbang:
Agreed, i will be buying a new 68 shell from Dynacorn and making a bad ass restomod when I retire.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Like I said it is definitely a Classic, but a regular first gen is neither rare, expensive nor particularly hard to find.

I'd rather have a classic car than some rare 'collector' car.

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
I'd rather have a classic car than some rare 'collector' car.
I agree wholeheartedly, I was just pointing out why the mustang is a classic and not a 'collector' car.
When i build my '68, the oldest thing in the car by a long shot will be the person driving it.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Guys, i hate to break it to you but our cars are way too common and sold way too well to ever be real collector cars
See my earlier post regarding the stock market. Run the numbers one what your return would have been if you had invested the cost of the mustang in 1977 compared to it's value now.

GBGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT350 W/lightning blue stripes
Guys, i hate to break it to you but our cars are way too common and sold way too well to ever be real collector cars, Classics for sure, but not the high value stuff you see at Barrett-Jackson.

The Ultra-rich people who attend those auctions are the true drivers of price and desirability. They have more money than they could hope to spend in a lifetime and so do their friends and neighbors. Comparing bank accounts is a bit too overt, and if one wants a $1million Bugatti Veyron, nothing stops the other from getting one optioned with a $160,000 clock or something. So they look to find something rare enough that their neighbor just can't buy. Sure anyone can buy a replica GT500 or a restored one, but only a precious few remain in original condition, or have a history like it was driven by Steve McQueen or something. Once you have it, no one else can buy it regardless of how much money they have, hence the demand for "numbers matching " nonsense, you can build a perfectly good car with original parts with enough cash, but you can't make a "numbers matching " one, and that is the only difference between it and the replica.

With over 100,000 S550 Mustangs sold each year for the last 3 years, you can bet your ass that in 20 years, there will be enough good looking ones around to keep prices low.

GT350s will be a bit better, but there will be enough around and likely better taken care of than regular Mustangs.

350Rs depend on how many Ford actually makes but there are enough that finding a good one is only going to be a test of how deep your pocket book is as well.

So in short, the only way our cars are going to be "collectible" is if the current owner becomes really famous or infamous and is dead so they can't add history to another one.
I'm 40, have no kids (or plans to), and have modified my EBM so it pretty much will never have any value to anyone other than me. I'll drive it till the wheels fall off or I wreck it or some Idiot offers me more than it's worth. it's a Deep impact Blue (no longer produced) 2015 (50th year) Ecoboost (Ok....that doesn't help) Manual(sold less than autos)with not a single option on it, that drove on the Nurburgring.

There can only be a hand full of those right..................?
http://blog.caranddriver.com/warnin...aro-vs-mustang-sales-numbers-in-living-color/

I disagree. The mustang production numbers when compared to the earlier years are much less comparatively speaking. There are much less S550 Mustangs than the late 60's and early 70's mustangs that are worth big coin. Don't misunderstand me. i am not saying a Mustang GT will be worth big bucks but The shelby's are certainly low on production numbers. If they make 2,500 Shleby's in 2018 that is much less than the 7,013 Boss 302's that rolled off of the assembly line in 1970. and the "R" would be on par with the Boss 429 of 499 units. This is based on 199,727 Mustangs being produced in 1970. So as a percentage and total units there are much fewer Shelby's than 1970 boss Mustangs.

http://www.carmemories.com/cgi-bin/viewexperience.cgi?experience_id=380

I can't predict the future but I was just pointing out that there are fewer S550's than the earlier Mustangs that are clearly very valuable today (Boss 302's and Boss 429's)

http://fordauthority.com/fmc/ford-m...ord-sales-numbers/ford-mustang-sales-numbers/

Last edited:

Sponsored

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I came across a guy last week with a 2012 Boss 302. 500mi, not a speck of dust on the thing - outside, inside, under the hood etc... original window stickers still perfectly on the windows etc.

I don't get it.

My 350R has more miles and the temp tags are still on it. If you're looking to get a return on investment vs enjoying a great car - why buy the car at all?

GBGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT350 W/lightning blue stripes
I came across a guy last week with a 2012 Boss 302. 500mi, not a speck of dust on the thing - outside, inside, under the hood etc... original window stickers still perfectly on the windows etc.

I don't get it.

My 350R has more miles and the temp tags are still on it. If you're looking to get a return on investment vs enjoying a great car - why buy the car at all?
I would agree with this. To not drive them in hopes of going up in value and being worth more is a bit overboard. To not modify, drive them, keep them well maintained, and mileage low is probably not a bad idea unless you don;t plan on keeping the car long term. IMO.

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
gt350s will probably be worth something because in 5-7 years there wont be any original motors left.....................

flame on
Reading this forum, it doesn't seem like a good idea to keep one after the warranty period is up.

I wish I knew the real percentage of failures. I am getting nervous. Mine's been good so far, but...

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Regarding the topic at hand, let's talk GT500s, shall we.

Back in the '60s, many GT500s were well used and most who owned them probably didn't think they would ever be worth anything and many were driven into the ground. Not to mention they really were relatively rare, considering the whopping amount of regular Mustangs were built. And quality of construction was pretty bad back then. Now they command handsome prices, especially certain years. Certain options just make it better.

Now, most late-model GT500s ended up sitting in garages for the most part, and everyone hopes to make a killing down the road. They aren't particularly rare to start with, and the fact that most sit in garages means a person can find a pristine one without effort, and will be able to do so for a long time. Prices are thus unlikely to skyrocket. Odd options are non-existent since automakers package everything and cars end up homogenized, so there's that too.

The GT500 scenario applies to most higher end, late-model, "collectible" cars, IMO.....I'd rather invest in something a bit more promising.

Stoked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Focus RS/2016 GT350/2002 Audi A4
Regarding the topic at hand, let's talk GT500s, shall we.

Back in the '60s, many GT500s were well used and most who owned them probably didn't think they would ever be worth anything and many were driven into the ground. Not to mention they really were relatively rare, considering the whopping amount of regular Mustangs were built. And quality of construction was pretty bad back then. Now they command handsome prices, especially certain years. Certain options just make it better.

Now, most late-model GT500s ended up sitting in garages for the most part, and everyone hopes to make a killing down the road. They aren't particularly rare to start with, and the fact that most sit in garages means a person can find a pristine one without effort, and will be able to do so for a long time. Prices are thus unlikely to skyrocket. Odd options are non-existent since automakers package everything and cars end up homogenized, so there's that too.

The GT500 scenario applies to most higher end, late-model, "collectible" cars, IMO.....I'd rather invest in something a bit more promising.
The GT500 market is a bit interesting to me as this was the car I was originally shopping for before moving on the 350. Fact was I couldn't find what I wanted in a '14 for the money I wanted to spend on one. Most were/still are in the low 50K range. That's pretty crazy for a car that's now clipping 4 model years old and riding on an archaic suspension (compared to the S550).

I know it has a lot to do with the car having the highest production HP V8 made at the time, and everything else we know the GT500 to be awesome at. I really, REALLY wanted one....In the end, I went for the 350 because the price was comparable (lower even in some cases) and the S550 is such a nicer platform. I didn't care about the single-digit percentage of time I'd ever get to (legally) experience the power the GT500 can put down vs having a car that I would enjoy driving around more often. And though it's just a product of how new the body style is, but the GT350 looks so damn good I barely notice GT500s anymore!

This is what scares me about the upcoming car...If it happens to be what they say it will be, I don't think I'll be able to stop myself from buying one...
Sponsored