Sponsored

Your thoughts on long term ownership and what will be "classics" one day.

ghig302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss
The Pontiac stuff, Solstice and the V-8 family cars. Pontiac, or Chevy, should have made a "new" Trans Am before or right as Pontiac shut its doors. That Chevy truck car thang from a few years ago, big V-8, useless bed. Honda 600, yeah, we had one as a kid and I was SO embarrassed to ride in it, but now, would love to have it. Boss, Bullet.....
Sponsored

Warhead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
It will always vary by age, people want things from their era that they never had...like my birth year Mach 1. :)

Same with any collectible item that reminds people of their youth.
71-pass-front-angle.jpg

Warhead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
I consider my 2015 to be a 10 year potential, like my 2005 was before it. I love the S550, but assume Ford will best it and make the upgrade inevitable.

The S550 seems to be the last make you can get analog dash gauges though, right? Maybe that will feel "old school" in the future.

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
I believe in 15 years the current crop of GT350's will be considered about the same as an '03 terminator is today. Real classics would be represented by cars such as the '69 or '70 Mustangs, or a '68 or '69 Camaro, those versions of cars that were in production for only one year with those classic body styles.

Sponsored

GBGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT350 W/lightning blue stripes
It will always vary by age, people want things from their era that they never had...like my birth year Mach 1. :)

Same with any collectible item that reminds people of their youth.
That's my most favorite mustang body design of all time. I've owned a bunch of them. I think I have one more restoration left in me.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I'll be picking up a very nicely restored 67 or 68 fastback one day.. in blue.

icormba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep SRT8 / GT350R / FocusRS
"... what will be "classics" one day."

As some so subtly pointed out...

We should be asking our kids about this part of the question and not each other. ;)

With that... I would add the Viper ACR to the list. :cheers:

Last edited:

Warhead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
That's my most favorite mustang body design of all time. I've owned a bunch of them. I think I have one more restoration left in me.
Me too, the last BIG Mustang. When I was a kid the guys across the street had a green Mach 1 and I thought it looked like a rocket. My grandmother had a 65 convertible I loved too (blue with white top, my last 2 have been blue with white) but that 71 Mach 1...menacing. I went all matte black and chrome which isn't factory but exactly the way I wanted it.

My brother in law and a friend cut walnut door handles for me to match the old school walnut steering wheel...incredible and unique.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Usually after 20-30 years a car can end up considered a classic. Some people say that in 20-30 years we may not be able to drive a car on public roads any more. These people say that once self driving cars are available, they believe insurance for an owner driven car will increase so much that no one will be able to afford to drive their own cars.

I think it seems unlikely that would happen, but a lot can change in 20+ years. Currently many cars from the 60s or earlier are somewhat unsafe on the roads, because they can't stop or turn like a modern car. Progress is accelerating, and 20 years from now I sure hope our GT350s seem hopelessly slow and antiquated. If they don't, that will mean things didn't go well as far as progress and standard of living go.

Sponsored

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
I personally don't think many cars made now and in the last 20 years will be classics/collectible. There are a few, most of which already mentioned here(GT350/R, Z/28, ACR).

And like another poster mentioned, it depends on what you mean by classic. If you mean like the cars that have been fetching big bucks at auction, then I really think the options of todays cars are limited. Back in the day you could order stuff a la carte, and if you knew the right people you could get stuff that wasn't even offered. Example, my dad ordered a 69 Olds 442 W-30. He was able to get it made in a color that was only offered on the Toronado. Or you could have a car that was like 1 of 50 in purple with a/c and auto. To me it is stuff like that, that really bumped up the 60s cars values.

The only car made from 2000 onward that I am confident will become an actual "classic" 50 years from now (when we are in self-flying Jetson crafts that compact into a briefcase) will be the Dodge Neon. They were such pieces of crap that few remain and yet they were loved by many and folks will want it a long time from now as a bit of history.

Just kidding...
ahahahahha

kwpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach1
Don't discount the 2002-2005 Ford thunderbird!~. They only made 68,000 of them...and all were nicely equipped. If they ever bring the Thunderbird back..these will quickly rise in value.

CVCashmere
I've always lusted after these Tbirds. I was seriously considering zeroing in on one when Ford announced the S550 Mustang would be a world car. Then the new Mustang became a non-brainer for me. Still would like to one day get a 2005 Tbird. Prices are reasonable for well driven examples. The asking prices for low mileage babied Tbirds arn't cheap.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Also........collectible vs classic. There's a subtle difference too in my opinion.

VERY distinct difference. Classic is universal. Collectible is extremely personal. There are people who collect the weirdest things.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I'll be picking up a very nicely restored 67 or 68 fastback one day.. in blue.
I have a '67 fastback in black that I might need to sell somewhat soon.

kwpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach1
I remember when I was a teenager everybody thought the vert '73 Mustang would be a classic. Last convertible , blah blah , with the Arab oil embargo and especially after the infamous Mustang II arrived. :tsk:
Look at prices for the '73 vert Mustang today. You decide, classic ? collectable ? IMHO it's a classic however, I'm sure not everyone agrees.
73stang.jpg
Sponsored