Sponsored

Your thoughts on long term ownership and what will be "classics" one day.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Classic is universal. Collectible is extremely personal. There are people who collect the weirdest things.
Yes, that's what I'm trying to portray. A Mustang II is classic for that matter. Collectible though? Desirable? Wantable? Well, happy hunting for said person.
Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
The GT500 market is a bit interesting to me as this was the car I was originally shopping for before moving on the 350. Fact was I couldn't find what I wanted in a '14 for the money I wanted to spend on one. Most were/still are in the low 50K range. That's pretty crazy for a car that's now clipping 4 model years old and riding on an archaic suspension (compared to the S550).

I know it has a lot to do with the car having the highest production HP V8 made at the time, and everything else we know the GT500 to be awesome at. I really, REALLY wanted one....In the end, I went for the 350 because the price was comparable (lower even in some cases) and the S550 is such a nicer platform. I didn't care about the single-digit percentage of time I'd ever get to (legally) experience the power the GT500 can put down vs having a car that I would enjoy driving around more often. And though it's just a product of how new the body style is, but the GT350 looks so damn good I barely notice GT500s anymore!

This is what scares me about the upcoming car...If it happens to be what they say it will be, I don't think I'll be able to stop myself from buying one...
Personally I think that you made a very wise decision going with the GT350 over the GT500 but that may be just me.

Not only is the GT350 a much more balanced car than the GT500 but the exclusivity of the GT350 far out weighs the ~47,000 GT500's that Ford produced over the 8 year production run.

Did Ford not produce 10,844 GT500's just in 2007 alone!

At one time I had some GT500's in my garage and really liked the cars at the time but when the Boss 302 cars came out in February 2011 and then the GT350 cars in the summer/fall of 2015 is was a no brainer to move over to these two outstanding Mustang platforms.

Bottom line is the Boss 302's were a much better balanced car than any of the GT500's with the GT350/GT350R's taking the overall performance of the Mustang to another level.

If I was a young person (which I am not) and was looking for a collectible car for quite some years down the road I personally would look at any of the 2 seat cars that Ford has come out with over the last 17 years namely the 2000 Cobra R's, the 2005/2006 Ford GT's, the 2012/2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca's and of course now the new generation GT350R models.

All of these 2 seat cars came with terrific performance numbers at the time and also came with very low production numbers especially the 2000 Cobra R (300) with the next least production numbers being the 2 year production of the 2012/2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca's (1552) with these Boss cars actually have lower production numbers than even the new 2016/2017/2018 GT350R's.

Of course the 2 seat Ford GT had 4038 cars built for that 2 year production run which but for most will be unattainable from a price standpoint.

Lastly, after having owned a few GT500 cars and no matter how fast the new GT500 is going to be I will have no interest in a new GT500 but obviously many will disagree with me and Ford may knock it out of the park with this new model and I hope that they do!

:ford:

;)

Socalrugger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H4111
I've been into cars my whole life. Never really liked American cars, you always hear reliability problems about them. Build quality was never like the Japanese. I have always been into naturally aspirated, high revving motors. That didn't mean I didn't look at FI cars like the R34, or STI. Something about showing what an engine was truly capable of on it's own, and wringing every last drop of power heavily appealed to me. Well, that and the natural engine note an NA engine makes.

I use to be into supercar's and exotics when I was younger. As I grew older, I looked more towards the value spectrum and I was more interested in what a car company can do on a budget. Near-limitless money being thrown at the development of a car(Ferrari, Pagani, Lamborghini) wasn't exciting for me.

Enter the GT350. NA Flat-plane crank, American made V8. I thought Ford must be out of their ever-loving minds. While all these companies are taking the easy way out, going FI on everything(Yea I'm talking to you BMW), you've got an American car company, out of fucking no where making a big ass, high revving V8 motor? Unfucking heard of!

Bought my own GT350 as soon as I could, and it's been nearly a blissful year of absolute joy. It's even put the joy of washing cars back in me. Needless to say, I hope to pass down this car to my kids when I have them. :ford:
Couldn't have said it better

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
I came across a guy last week with a 2012 Boss 302. 500mi, not a speck of dust on the thing - outside, inside, under the hood etc... original window stickers still perfectly on the windows etc.

I don't get it.

My 350R has more miles and the temp tags are still on it. If you're looking to get a return on investment vs enjoying a great car - why buy the car at all?
I don't get it either,
Buying a hot car and not driving it to maintain resale value is like getting a hot girlfriend and not sleeping with her to keep her tight for the next guy.:headbonk:
Sponsored