Your thoughts on IRS

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
I'm just wondering what those of you who have owned multiple Mustangs of different years think about the independent rear suspension? For years the big knock on Mustangs from all the car review guru's was it's old prehistoric solid rear axle. Well I've had my '19 GT for about a year and a half now, it's my third Mustang, a 1969 and a 2011. Personally I can't tell any difference between the handling of this one from the 2011. But when I look under the car I see a very complicated assembly that must have added thousands of dollars to the cost of the car and will probably need a boat load of maintenance further down the road. So what was the point of going that route? Just to shut the reviewers up. I doubt many of us will ever push these cars so close to their limit that we would notice a difference.
Sponsored

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
If you can't tell the difference in handling between a solid rear axle and a IRS I don't know what to tell ya.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.

Vert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whipped 19 GT Premium
I had a 13 and 14 GT and both were boosted and I'm not a fan of the IRS when it comes to walking the rear out. Going straight or out of a corner, the solid axle felt more stable to me and more predictable.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT fastback. PP, 50th trim, Black
Truck vs track car…. end of discussion

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT fastback. PP, 50th trim, Black
If you honestly can't tell the difference between driving a stick axle and IRS Mustang, just sell them and buy a prius.
That’s harsh.. OP might have a legitimate ask…
Simple fact is that developed sports cars globally in the last 20 years have utilized IRS, to support safety, handling and ride quality.
Engineering leads they way.

is stiff rear axle better.? Is IRS better..?

McCarthy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
That’s harsh.. OP might have a legitimate ask…
Simple fact is that developed sports cars globally in the last 20 years have utilized IRS, to support safety, handling and ride quality.
Engineering leads they way.

is stiff rear axle better.? Is IRS better..?
yes it was harsh, honestly the op’s statement was ridiculous to me, so I made a somewhat ridiculous tongue in cheek reply.
A solid rear axle CAN be much stronger and handle a more brutal launch, but I’m talking 1000+ horsepower.

Sponsored
OP
OP
PoCoBob

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
If you honestly can't tell the difference between driving a stick axle and IRS Mustang, just sell them and buy a prius.
Just a little history for you about my ridiculous statement. While I'm a long way from being a pro driver I have attended a SCCA driving school and stayed with it up until I couldn't go any further without getting my license. I chose to stop there because I had to weigh the cost of moving forward versus the amount of time I could run the course. No racing, just open lapping days using your own car.

Also my question was to people who had owned other Mustangs with a solid rear axle if they could tell any difference. Only one reply so far says he's had older models and he prefers the solid axle. So thank you for a childish smart ass reply but your opinion is of little value to me.

McCarthy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
Bob, You do realize you ASKED for opinions on the subject, right? Just because you don't like mine...

Also, it's great to hear you've attended an SCCA driving school, i'm sure WTC or aussie super cars are beating down your door to sign you

And it's clearly not just me thinking your comment is ridiculous, just read the thread you posted, asking for opinions on the subject...

I do apologize for being so sarcastic however. No offence meant.

If it's a driving experience related discussion, when was the last time you were on a track? It was less than a week ago for me...

Actually you're somewhat local to me, there's a track day right by you in Poco, at Mission raceway July 19, $200 on the fastest lap between you and I? Friendly competition of course.

I'll even pay my $200 beforehand to you, if you win, you keep it. You lose you give me my $200 back + 200 of your own.

Last edited:

AceS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ace
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I’m with the OP on this. I’ve driven/owned many mustangs (1960’s, 70’s, 80’s, 90’s, 00’s and up to current models) and I honestly prefer the solid axle. It feels lively, compared to the IRS that is just numb and boring. While I don’t agree with all the criticisms that solid axles get, I can understand where people are coming from. Solid axle still wins for me though.

OP
OP
PoCoBob

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)

Actually you're somewhat local to me, there's a track day right by you in Poco, at Mission raceway July 19, $200 on the fastest lap between you and I? Friendly competition of course.

I'll even pay my $200 beforehand to you, if you win, you keep it. You lose you give me my $200 back + 200 of your own.
Why don't we just get a ruler, drop our pants and settle it that way. I have no interest in proving anything to you.

The thread went sideways fast. I'm out!

McCarthy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
Why don't we just get a ruler, drop our pants and settle it that way. I have no interest in proving anything to you.

The thread went sideways fast. I'm out!
No need to be a pig. It didn't go sideways, you got angry someone had a difference of opinion than you. And just as I thought. Let me know if you'd like to put your money where your mouth is.
Sponsored