Sponsored

Your opinion on personalized license plates...

Shelbeast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RAJ
Vehicle(s)
GT500, MME-GT, BMW X-1
Considering a personalized plate for my incoming 2022... it'll be Grabber Blue, GT, 6spd. Wife wants to call it "Cookie Monster"... couldn't think of anything with "COOKIE" that wasn't already taken in Texas and anything abbreviated as CK or COOK or KOOK, etc. could be misconstrued, haha. I'd rather not.

So I figured out a combo that involves my last name/family name (which my wife shares with me) and I kind want to take the opportunity to get it while it's available. However, I wonder if anyone has concerns about their real name being written on their car/plate? Car will be garaged and not daily driven, if that matters. I don't plan on driving stupid and there's absolutely no manner in which a Grabber Blue car is going to be subtle. It'll be visible, custom plate or not.

Appreciate your feedback.
I see around Virginia, people having Name1, then name2,then name 3. I think it's dumb to put your name. It's about being creative IMO. Also, as an IT/Privacy/Legal person, I recommend never putting a name. I don't even give my real name at Chick Fil-A.
Sponsored

Shelbeast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RAJ
Vehicle(s)
GT500, MME-GT, BMW X-1
i almost got the In God We Trust plate. Either go with "TrstME" or "I AM GOD".

dafuture

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I just ordered my first set of personalized plates a few weeks ago. Got my Dadā€™s old plates from college. They were on his ā€˜77 Olds Delta 88. He even sent me an original picture of the plate (not knowing what I was up to).

Absolutely stoked to have them for the Mustang.

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
I just ordered my first set of personalized plates a few weeks ago. Got my Dadā€™s old plates from college. They were on his ā€˜77 Olds Delta 88. He even sent me an original picture of the plate (not knowing what I was up to).

Absolutely stoked to have them for the Mustang.
That's cool, I wonder what they say??? šŸ˜‰

Sponsored

JeremyPro5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 & 2018 GT350R
You could always try

BLOOBLZ

It may slip by.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I didn't Renew my personalized plates for my '87 T-Bird $500+fees for 5 years.
'BRDZWRD'
I figured I had 5 years of fun with the plate and considering I only took the car to about 3 local shows, and about a dozen cruise ins per year. The cost per mile far outweighs the cost per smile.
So I ended up getting a Texas "Classic Auto" plate no extra cost above the regular registration.

I still have my "BRDZWRD" plates and can put them on for the Shows
For those who want to do this option cheaper, there are Etsy sellers who will make ANY license plate for you. Obviously you can't run on the street with the novelty plates, but they look about 95% the same as a real one.

In Ohio you can run a classic or vintage plate legally, you can even have personalized vintage plates. Ohio used to change plates every year and had the year of issue stamped into the plate up until 1974. The trend at local car shows is to have a plate from the same year as the car. You can either find a vintage or restored plate at a swap meet or buy a reproduction plate. Then you just go to the local BMV and register the plate and then your good to go.

I was told at a local car show that if you want a personalized vintage plate, you need to get it on a new plate first, then once you have them, get a repro vintage plate made, then go to the BMV and have them legally swapped.

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
So many trashy suggestions šŸ¤£

dafuture

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
That's cool, I wonder what they say??? šŸ˜‰
So...story goes that in college my Dad wanted a personalized plate. For reasons he wanted "Bells 1". Unfortunately that plate wasn't available, so he took Bells 2. We live in NY, and he went to school in Ohio, so midway through a roadtrip to school, he pulls into a gas station. As he tells it, "there was the a**hole who had Bells 1!" The plate followed him to his '84 Mazda 626 coupe that he had when I was born, but he let it go when he bought our '95 Volvo 850 (which we still have).

I've wanted to get the plate back forever, but only recently said "screw it" and ordered it.

Sponsored

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
I think vanity plates (as theyā€™re known here) are just fine, but I donā€™t think anything good at all could ever come from using a personal identifier. FWIW I feel the same way about internet handles.

Full disclosure: Iā€™m old and over time have come to perfect cynicism as my default world view.

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
I had "V10" on my last BMW M5 and "WILE E" on my 2016 Mustang.

firestang70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Mustang GT
AWSUM GT or me

NavyMAC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
This was on my car before I got it from CA but itā€™s the name of the dealer so not a legal plate. I had personalized tags in CA when I lived there and it wasnā€™t super expensive actually. Like 50 year I think.
I just have a random plate at the moment but was thinking about one. My military tag on my Bronco was 12348 lol I was so bummed I couldve been a little earlier and got the 5.

D8B2AE84-4D29-4733-A053-D4E58AA9D0C4.jpeg

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT