Sponsored

Wrecked 2017 GT Premium

Snake Plissken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
This is why I would've just nailed the brake and kept the wheel straight. They're going to argue that the OP didn't HAVE to take the ditch, and while that's true, they don't care that he was trying to avoid hurting or killing someone. They just care that he purposefully left the payment, and they're going to argue no fault.
No "they" are not. This is a ridiculous statement. Why? Because it is unreasonable for anyone to second-guess a decision the driver had to make in a panic situation with only seconds or fractions of a second in which to operate. The driver was not given minutes, or even one minute to assess a dangerous situation and then adequate time to deliberate on what course of action to take based on all available information.

The OP's brain was forced into an "oh shit" situation due to the actions of another careless or distracted driver and he took the best course of action he thought possible based on very, very little information and even less time.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Chris227

Chris227

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium / 2016 Camaro 2LT
Vehicle Showcase
This is why I would've just nailed the brake and kept the wheel straight. They're going to argue that the OP didn't HAVE to take the ditch, and while that's true, they don't care that he was trying to avoid hurting or killing someone. They just care that he purposefully left the payment, and they're going to argue no fault.
The driver that cut into my lane, her insurance has acknowledged and accepted all responsibility for both my car and the Cadillac that I hit.
They got me a rental setup and my car is currently at my body shop being looked at. Just waiting to hear from the adjuster. I should hopefully know something by Friday at the latest.

JimG_AZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium (RIP - 3/19)
My 2017 GT Premium was totaled back in March. I was stopped at a light, got rear-ended and then pushed into a truck in front of me. When I hit the truck in front of me, the knee airbag popped. As I recall, I had @ $22,000 in estimated damage to my Mustang, and Geico totaled it and paid out @ $30,500. I miss my Mustang terribly. I thought about replacing it with a new GT with the A10, but instead purchased a used Tacoma. I was able to pay cash for the Tacoma, so its nice not having a car payment.

Deleted member 35644

This is a ridiculous statement.
Is it really necessary to say these kinds of things when someone gives their opinion on a car forum? While I think your optimism is great when you assert that an insurance company won't do ANYTHING to get out of paying a claim, you clearly haven't lived through this situation where THEY did try to blame you for damage incurred while trying to avoid an idiot. I have. In 1996, when I bent my left front wheel & control arm trying to avoid a 300ZX driving diagonally across a parking lot. A-Affordable insurance actually asserted that I should have stopped, instead of swerving. So if the best you can do is come on here and assign the word 'ridiculous' to a statement made by someone else, perhaps a 'no comment' stance is something you should consider.

Snake Plissken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
...you clearly haven't lived through this situation where THEY did try to blame you for damage incurred while trying to avoid an idiot...
I was a cop for twenty years; and 12 of those years were spent working uniformed patrol. I have seen hundreds of serious traffic collisions; many, many of them involving mutiple fatalities. I have testified in criminal and civil court as an expert witness dozens of times and dealt with every manner of attorney and insurance adjuster/investigator there is to name. So, yes I have lived through it.

Sponsored

Deleted member 35644

I was a cop for twenty years; and 12 of those years were spent working uniformed patrol. I have seen hundreds of serious traffic collisions; many, many of them involving mutiple fatalities. I have testified in criminal and civil court as an expert witness dozens of times and dealt with every manner of attorney and insurance adjuster/investigator there is to name. So, yes I have lived through it.
No, actually you haven't lived through anything related to the circumstances I listed. but keep resting on your laurels. Unimpressive, at best that you're former law enforcement and come into an internet forum to belittle people. Clearly, these situations bring out the worst in you, so again..reconsider responding at all.

Snake Plissken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
No, actually you haven't lived through anything related to the circumstances I listed. but keep resting on your laurels. Unimpressive, at best that you're former law enforcement and come into an internet forum to belittle people. Clearly, these situations bring out the worst in you, so again..reconsider responding at all.
Exactly when/how did I "belittle" anyone? I said a statement was ridiculous, nothing more, and then I backed it up with logic and reason. And I couldn't care less if you think my service to this great nation is "unimpressive", because I have nothing to prove to you or anyone else for that matter. The fact of the matter is quite simple. I have lived this stuff and I did it day in, day out for over a decade. If you don't consider my experiences or opinions to be of any use; I don't give a $hit Mr. Ecoboost.

Furthermore, I never suggested an insurance company wouldn't do something in an effort to get out of paying a claim. You did! I simply stated that for them to do so would be "unreasonable". And why would it be unreasonable for the insurance company to claim the driver chose to leave the pavement...? BECAUSE THE VIDEO EVIDENCE CLEARLY SHOWS HE WAS NOT GIVEN A CHOICE BY WAY OF HIS BRAIN BEING IN PANIC MODE.

Please stop pretending you know anything about this subject.

Deleted member 35644

BECAUSE THE VIDEO EVIDENCE CLEARLY SHOWS HE WAS NOT GIVEN A CHOICE BY WAY OF HIS BRAIN BEING IN PANIC MODE.
Thank you for providing some pretty clear evidence that you, Mr. 5.0, are a fraud. No real cop would ever speak this drivel. He indeed had multiple choices, and the fact that you believe he only had one proves that you've never dealt with this in your life. He could've gone left. He could've kept the wheel straight. He chose to veer right. They're all choices. The fact that me made the only choice you agree with somehow makes it the only valid choice. Pretty short-sighted for someone who has allegedly dealt with accidents for 20 years.

Bye bye, fraud.

Snake Plissken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Thank you for providing some pretty clear evidence that you, Mr. 5.0, are a fraud. No real cop would ever speak this drivel. He indeed had multiple choices, and the fact that you believe he only had one proves that you've never dealt with this in your life. He could've gone left. He could've kept the wheel straight. He chose to veer right. They're all choices. The fact that me made the only choice you agree with somehow makes it the only valid choice. Pretty short-sighted for someone who has allegedly dealt with accidents for 20 years.

Bye bye, fraud.
You are real piece of work.

You, me and everyone else has seen the video and had the luxury of analyzing it after the fact. You and I weren't behind the wheel of the car. Unlike the driver, you and I were not in an danger when we were presented with the video information. You and I had the ability to look at it as many times as we needed to, to make a theoretical decision with all the time in the world to scrutinize the decision the driver had to make in panic mode in real time, with less than a second to make a decision!! But I suspect you wouldn't know anything about having to make a decision while in panic mode, because you more-than-likely have never been in any real danger in your entire life. And good for you.

Keep doing what you are doing. We are all very impressed.

OP
OP
Chris227

Chris227

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have driven the same route to and from work daily for 15 yrs. I have analyzed "what if" moments numerous times over the years. If I had gone left the ditch is wide and deep, as well as a house and fence directly across, also for me to make the decision to cross into on coming lanes wasn't even a thought. That is not a option, Ever. I took the path of least resistance. If I had braked, it would have been a head on or a T-bone. That was not a option. I did what I felt would cause the less damage to me and others. In my estimation I made the best choice. Hopefully in the next month or so I will be back in my Mustang and out of this base model Nissan Rouge I'm driving. I miss power.

Last edited:

Sponsored

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have driven the same route to and from work daily for 15 yrs. I have analyzed "what if" moments numerous times over the years. If I had gone left the ditch is wide and deep, also for me to make the decision to cross into on coming lanes wasn't even a thought. That is not a option. Ever. I took the path of least resistance. If I had braked it would have been a head on or a T-bone. That was not a option. I did what I felt would cause the less damage to me and others. In my estimation I made the best choice. Hopefully in the next month or so I will be back in my Mustang and out of this base model Nissan Rouge I'm driving. I miss power.
Undivided road makes me a bit nervous. People making a sudden left turn, or maybe drifting their lane while typing on their phone. Head on collision at highway speed would be bad. Particularly if it is similar to the small overlap crashes as modeled by the IIHS. Leaving the road is bad too.

OP
OP
Chris227

Chris227

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Updated OP as well

UPDATE: 12-19-19
Looks like repairs are going to be about $13,000
Body shop is sending supplement estimate to insurance, just playing the waiting game now.

liv2roc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt/cs ,2004 Mustang Mach1, 1984 mustang gt 350
I had that happen to me 25 years ago. I put mine in the ditch and the other guy drove off. My insurance guy told me never avoid a wreck like that just hit them.
Sponsored