Sponsored

I bought a WRECKED mustang GT 350! Can I save?

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
The fact that the air bags deployed will make a restoration very expensive, unless you plan to make a track car out of it. Just my .02
Airbags are very easy to replace.

Tons and tons of crashed Mustangs have been rebuilt on YT, and airbag replacement is easy.
Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
So here's my current situation the original aluminum impact bar is $800 at the dealer regular gt impact bar fits but is $150 what would you do ..
I would put the original one or seek one from a rear ended car if you can find one.
Lower weight is why GT350 is better than GT - but ultimately it's your money.

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Strip the car to the frame, write a parts list, get parts cost, assess if the build is feasible for the budget you have. Two conclusions (1) parts list fits you budget and you build (2) parts cost are prohibitive so sell your already parted out car.

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I don't mind seeing a thread like this with videos, at all. It's better than just looking at videos on YouTube because there is a great deal more interaction.... unfortunately all of the interaction isn't good.

I wish I was still able to undertake projects like this, but age and other limitations make that impossible. I am envious. You have received some excellent suggestions. I would just add don't let things overwhelm you.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
What was your total price paid for the salvage? Just curious...

Hit up the GT350 sub-forum on here, those guys will have almost every part of tech advice you would need to getting it back on the road.

OP
OP
BigBro

BigBro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Strip the car to the frame, write a parts list, get parts cost, assess if the build is feasible for the budget you have. Two conclusions (1) parts list fits you budget and you build (2) parts cost are prohibitive so sell your already parted out car.
If i part it out im sure I wouldn't recover from that..but I will say I'm considering either go the cheaper route by everything aftermarket or source original parts from junk yards ebay etc.

OP
OP
BigBro

BigBro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I don't mind seeing a thread like this with videos, at all. It's better than just looking at videos on YouTube because there is a great deal more interaction.... unfortunately all of the interaction isn't good.

I wish I was still able to undertake projects like this, but age and other limitations make that impossible. I am envious. You have received some excellent suggestions. I would just add don't let things overwhelm you.
Really appreciate the positivity!!! Its 1 thing saving up ur money to buy a project cause i can't afford a new car, but then it was quite scary when that engine gave me trouble when I just got it.

Sponsored

WaffleMix

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
So....what happened to this GT350? Is this a salvage title? If you cant afford a new car, why invest into a car that will likely cost as much as a “new” used car after you get it to where you want it to be? Why not just strip it down to the bones and see what is good and what’s not so you know what parts you don’t have to buy? I think its a great idea to rebuild a project car, but only if the juice is worth the squeeze. If you know how to do all the work yourself, have the tools, and staff I say go for it. But if you are buying parts and paying to have them installed and repaired repurposed...I would not even bother, unless you are in it for the experience which I def get. Otherwise just save for a “new“ car that can at least start. Anyway I am definitely interested in your build and again I think it’s awesome that you are doing something like this. Good luck & Cheers

OP
OP
BigBro

BigBro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
What was your total price paid for the salvage? Just curious...

Hit up the GT350 sub-forum on here, those guys will have almost every part of tech advice you would need to getting it back on the road.
So....what happened to this GT350? Is this a salvage title? If you cant afford a new car, why invest into a car that will likely cost as much as a “new” used car after you get it to where you want it to be? Why not just strip it down to the bones and see what is good and what’s not so you know what parts you don’t have to buy? I think its a great idea to rebuild a project car, but only if the juice is worth the squeeze. If you know how to do all the work yourself, have the tools, and staff I say go for it. But if you are buying parts and paying to have them installed and repaired repurposed...I would not even bother, unless you are in it for the experience which I def get. Otherwise just save for a “new“ car that can at least start. Anyway I am definitely interested in your build and again I think it’s awesome that you are doing something like this. Good luck & Cheers
Honestly I'm not sure exactly what happened to this gt350 because I searched all over the web trying to find something on this accident but haven't yet. I have auto body experience thats y I wanted to take on this challenge and idk to me its just something satisfying to see something crumpled up get restored. Thanks

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
In my younger days, I used to build street rods and my brother and I rebuilt wrecked Corvettes. I would encourage you to do as much as you can, yourself. Take your time, do things right and don't take shortcuts. Tag everything you remove and take pictures before removing it. Even if it is junk that can't be salvaged. Unless you are very experienced at doing this type of project, everything you remove, good or bad, will serve as a point of reference.

There will be times when you will feel like giving up and selling the car as is, or parting it out. When that happens, take a break from it for a few days. If you don't know how to use a cutting torch or welder, I strongly suggest you invest in them and practice.

One more thing, do not attempt to paint your car, yourself. Modern paint can be dangerous if you breathe it, or expose your skin to it.

Last edited:

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
Your choice to gamble on something you know nothing about is not a wise financial plan...