Sponsored

Worth getting a custom tune

Devil5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Hey all,

I have been tossing around the idea of getting a custom tune for my car (PBD or dyno tune from local shop) but not sure if it's worth it. Im on the stage 2 whipple kit with the gen 3 head unit, running the supplied whipple tune and 3.75" pulley. Thing is, im on CA 91 octane and not on E85 yet. Correct me If I am wrong, but I feel like I am making the most power I currently can at that moment on a 3.75 pulley with 91 octane. I definetly know I cannot go down to the 3.625 on 91, but was wondering if i went with a PBD tune or something if they would even tune my car with the pulley I am running on 91, or if any power would even be gained for safety reasons. I could always order cans of boostane and essentially be running 93 every fillup.

I would love to go E85 as i have a E85 station literally 8 blocks from my house. But problem is im driving back to Arizona in August for school from california. so ill have to run 91 on the drive from ca to az to avoid the hassle of finding an e85 station every 130 miles to fillup. in addition, my car sits in the school parking garage from august to april and i genuinely only put about 25 miles a month on my car during those months since im in school etc. With that being said i dont think e85 can be an option since it cant sit for long periods of time (10 days without being started or driven)
Sponsored

Patriot Six

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Custom tune is absolutely worth it. You can always turn down the boost with a larger blower pulley and run some octane booster for safety. It will likely still make more power, have much better throttle response, and be safer.

Excel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT and 2015 F150
I have the same set up w 93 I run the 3.625.....I also added headers and a full exhaust
a tuner like PBD will want you to change injectors,add fuel pumps and add his tuning device,gives you an opportunity
to ditch the Cats (in my case) and make a few more HP im sure . How much more,id like to know myself..

Stephen@lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt500
A tune from PBD is probably one of the best bang for buck mods you can do for these cars. Double so on a boosted one. PBD is also running a killer sale right now on Tune and device combos. Hit me up if you have any questions about the tuning process. https://www.lethalperformance.com/info/memorialday2020

Excel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT and 2015 F150

Sponsored

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Can’t hate it because it’s their job lol. I’ll do the same thing if I own or employee of a big parts store.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Hey all,

I have been tossing around the idea of getting a custom tune for my car (PBD or dyno tune from local shop) but not sure if it's worth it. Im on the stage 2 whipple kit with the gen 3 head unit, running the supplied whipple tune and 3.75" pulley. Thing is, im on CA 91 octane and not on E85 yet. Correct me If I am wrong, but I feel like I am making the most power I currently can at that moment on a 3.75 pulley with 91 octane. I definetly know I cannot go down to the 3.625 on 91, but was wondering if i went with a PBD tune or something if they would even tune my car with the pulley I am running on 91, or if any power would even be gained for safety reasons. I could always order cans of boostane and essentially be running 93 every fillup.

I would love to go E85 as i have a E85 station literally 8 blocks from my house. But problem is im driving back to Arizona in August for school from california. so ill have to run 91 on the drive from ca to az to avoid the hassle of finding an e85 station every 130 miles to fillup. in addition, my car sits in the school parking garage from august to april and i genuinely only put about 25 miles a month on my car during those months since im in school etc. With that being said i dont think e85 can be an option since it cant sit for long periods of time (10 days without being started or driven)
An E85 tune from PBD or Lund will include a gas tune as well as the E85 tune. You can switch back and forth whenever you need to.

OP
OP
Devil5oh

Devil5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
An E85 tune from PBD or Lund will include a gas tune as well as the E85 tune. You can switch back and forth whenever you need to.
That is true. Is it a pain in the ass draining all e85 from the tank when it comes to run 91 octane again?

EgoBoost

9/11 Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Black PP GT 6 SPEED
That is true. Is it a pain in the ass draining all e85 from the tank when it comes to run 91 octane again?
Just drive it until the fuel gauge is on zero miles. Put in 91. Swap tune. Off you go.

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
Their supplied tuning with the supercharger systems is already pretty awesome, but there is usually more room to go with some custom tuning and a few additional modifications such as long tube headers. Having 91 octane can hold you back a bit as others have mentioned unfortunately , so higher octane always helps also. Going to E85 is great for better knock suppression and providing more octane, but at that level of a build it will typically require some additional fuel system upgrades as well. Feel free to give us a shout if there's anything we could help you with!

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
When you drive back to Arizona, just use the 91 octane tune so that you don't have to search for an E85 station. Your tuner can also give you a tank drain tune that will activate the fuel pump while the car isn't running, then you just disconnect the fuel line at the rail and run a hose to a bucket or whatever. It's easier to just run it down to near empty, then fill up with the alternate fuel and re-flash
Sponsored