Whipple.. stock or custom tune?

Aaron1085

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT - Whipple
Good thing we have you, FULL of knowledge!
Any insight how the new Whipple will compare to the ‘old’ one? (2018)
Sponsored

TX-Ripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 Whipple Stage 2 / 2018 F150 5.0 Whipple Stage 2
I’m not sure if this particular product is even needed but its the Answer to the Eaton 3.1 TVS

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I am sure I will be the odd man out here. But, I say stick with the Whipple tune. I put that stage 1 complete kit on my Bullitt and dyno'd it . SAE on 93 pump gas it did 625RWHP at 7,000 RPM and 675 RWHP at 7,800 RPM. Remember Whipple's tune is a 91 octane tune. Comparing a PBD or Lund tune maxed at 93 is apples and oranges. Remember Whipple wants to sell more superchargers and keep it safe.

So, for those willing to take a custom tune to the max 93, sure you'll get more power out. Is it worth it? Especially where you live with 91? I wouldn't do it.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
I believe Lebanon Ford lost some engines with the stock Whipple tunes....I believe they now sell their Whipple cars with a PBD tune.
Please give us a link to this.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
OP, I actually dyno'd my car at a reputable dyno shop. I hear all kinds of stuff that is just talk. I actually dyno'd the car. 2 things prove comments: Dynos and 1/4 timeslips. The rest of "butt dyno" comments is just talk, feelings. Feelings will often lead you astray.

Drivability is critical. Having had many custom tunes from both PBD and Lund, I can fairly say that the Whipple tune is 90-95% there in power and better drivability. Remember the Whipple tune is designed for 91 octane. 93 can help but they definitely left some power deliberately so that 91 wouldn't cook the engine if you get some crappy gasoline.

Think of this. The only tunes Whipple is providing is for Whipple superchargers. The custom tune shops are doing all kinds of engines and superchargers or turbos. I am a believer that "jack of all trades is master of none" for the most part.

Sponsored

Mantis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
OP, I actually dyno'd my car at a reputable dyno shop. I hear all kinds of stuff that is just talk. I actually dyno'd the car. 2 things prove comments: Dynos and 1/4 timeslips. The rest of "butt dyno" comments is just talk, feelings. Feelings will often lead you astray.

Drivability is critical. Having had many custom tunes from both PBD and Lund, I can fairly say that the Whipple tune is 90-95% there in power and better drivability. Remember the Whipple tune is designed for 91 octane. 93 can help but they definitely left some power deliberately so that 91 wouldn't cook the engine if you get some crappy gasoline.

Think of this. The only tunes Whipple is providing is for Whipple superchargers. The custom tune shops are doing all kinds of engines and superchargers or turbos. I am a believer that "jack of all trades is master of none" for the most part.
Whipple may deliver tunes for 91 but they also program for octane adaptability so running higher octane should allow things to wake up assuming no knock.

TX-Ripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guys the Whipple tune uses the knock sensors to take advantage of 93 or octane booster or race gas

Drivability is better than the aftermarket calibrations and it is an OEM quality tune

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
If the whipple tune was somehow optimized for 91, it wouldn’t pull timing like crazy when using 91. It is “safe” for use with 91 in the same way it’s “safe” to use 87 on the stock tune.

TX-Ripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m not sure if people realize this but 91 and 93 our numbers on the side of a pump and do not always represent was being pumped into your tank

TX-Ripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Most people that lose motors when going boosted it happens right away because the ring gaps were too tight

or

The tune is too aggressive for the fuel (octane) they were using.

This was the case on the earlier Whipple calibrations.

The current calibration works much better with what the average person gets out of an average pump 91+

Last edited:

Sponsored

crcpdx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I've never had a Whipple tune so can't make a direct comparison. I have heard people say custom tunes are more risky and on the edge. That's not true. The other thing I hear a lot is the Whipple tune drives like oem. Is this a good thing? I hated Ford's tune, car was sluggish unless in sport +, low speed surging, tranny was confused. I bought a Ngauge and tune when my car was completely stock just to fix the OEM calibration. Last thing I would add is I agree with TX Ripper. Motors went due to build quality not tunes.

Last edited:

Aaron1085

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT - Whipple
Great insight as expected. As I’ve said a few times; I like longterm fun... meaning, increased bulletproof ness is key for me.
93 and stock tune, plenty of power for me. I have to believe a company like Whipple doesn’t want my car blowing up unnecessarily.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
It's not the build quality. Ford engineers designed these engines from the get go.

It's well known that the stock ring gap is close and the tolerances tight so too much heat and pressure especially from low octane, poor tune causing pre-detonation causes the ring gap to close, expand and the weak link is the top of the aluminum hypereutectic poison which breaks off.

That's not bad build quality, that's called engineering the correct part for the car.

We all take a chance adding 250-350 additional horsepower to a car not designed for those stresses.

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
I’m grateful the 5.0 can take as much boost abuse as it does. Mine has lived half its life under the blower, so it really owes me nothing.

GeigerZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
OP: You've been provided A-Z thoughts and comments regarding staying with the Whipple or a custom tune. Providing real world experience between the two -I would bet my 30 years of experience type "butt-dyno" over anyone else that hasn't provided any real-world comparisons besides bench racing dyno numbers (mountain climbers go for peaks and summits while real enthusiasts look at the entire picture), but failed to compare them either with 40-100mph (1.5-1.8sec slower with the Whipple tune or three to five car lengths) pulls or dyno graph showing the delta from the hit.

If you want a very conservative tune - safe and reliable for many years of daily driving, then the Whipple tune is for you. If you are not looking to break records and have middle of the road acceleration, then Whipple tune is for you. If you only have access to 91 octane - the Whipple tune is for you.

I will agree it is apples to oranges though. Only you can make the decision.
Sponsored