Sponsored

Whipple.. stock or custom tune?

The_Mad_Patcher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Is there a cost associate with upgrades tunes? I’m assuming you also bought larger injectors.. what modifications generated the need for larger injectors? (Learning everyday)
The 55# injectors were sent free of charge, but I sent back the 38# injectors with a prepaid return label which they also supplied so it was an exchange. I received a phone call from Justin Whipple and Jeff Tiller one evening saying the newest update required the new injectors. They offered to exchange them at no charge if I wanted the update. If I remember correctly, they started using 55# injectors after my older installation and the new tunes were for the vehicles with 55# injectors. I decided to go with the updated tune and injectors to stay current. I have not been disappointed. I suggest unless the car's main purpose is racing and not street use, that you stay with Whipple and their support. Best wishes.
Sponsored

crcpdx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
It's not the build quality. Ford engineers designed these engines from the get go.

It's well known that the stock ring gap is close and the tolerances tight so too much heat and pressure especially from low octane, poor tune causing pre-detonation causes the ring gap to close, expand and the weak link is the top of the aluminum hypereutectic poison which breaks off.

That's not bad build quality, that's called engineering the correct part for the car.

We all take a chance adding 250-350 additional horsepower to a car not designed for those stresses.
Every engine builder knows you build performance engines loose, so IMO it is build quality, poor engineering..

crcpdx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
OP: You've been provided A-Z thoughts and comments regarding staying with the Whipple or a custom tune. Providing real world experience between the two -I would bet my 30 years of experience type "butt-dyno" over anyone else that hasn't provided any real-world comparisons besides bench racing dyno numbers (mountain climbers go for peaks and summits while real enthusiasts look at the entire picture), but failed to compare them either with 40-100mph (1.5-1.8sec slower with the Whipple tune or three to five car lengths) pulls or dyno graph showing the delta from the hit.

If you want a very conservative tune - safe and reliable for many years of daily driving, then the Whipple tune is for you. If you are not looking to break records and have middle of the road acceleration, then Whipple tune is for you. If you only have access to 91 octane - the Whipple tune is for you.

I will agree it is apples to oranges though. Only you can make the decision.
Sorry dude but this BS. Whipple's tune is safer than a custom pump tune? What are you basing this on? How many motors on a custom pump tune have let go compared to Whipple.?

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase
Every engine builder knows you build performance engines loose, so IMO it is build quality, poor engineering..
Sorry Charlie, FOMCO did not design the yote to be boosted . I give you this that it can handle it . But you saying it is flaw when you boost and melt a ring land, your wrong . Gotta pay to play .

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Food for thought...look up the factory clearance specs on the Predator and 660 hp 3.5 liter GT motor, they don’t build them “loose” from the factory and the failure rate is very low when stock. Even the ring gaps are exceptionally tight. They do, however, avoid knock and control it when it does happen.

Sponsored

crcpdx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Sorry Charlie, FOMCO did not design the yote to be boosted . I give you this that it can handle it . But you saying it is flaw when you boost and melt a ring land, your wrong . Gotta pay to play .
Maybe you are right. But I believe my point is the same. Let reword, motors let go because they are not designed to handle 650+ hp, not because of a bad tune.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Forged pistons expand more and weigh more and require looser tolerances. Rattle more when cold, get poorer mileage, wear faster and cost more. Great for drag or road racing in the short term, not so good for a passenger car designed with a 60 month, 50,000 miles warranty that needs to meet CAFE and EPA standards.

Every engine builder knows this. So do the engineers at Ford.

Tighter tolerances make for a more efficient engine all within the parameters it was designed for.

Our Coyotes are not designed for this. If that is your preference, buy a Boss 302, GT350 or GT500.

Either you are a troll, ignorant, or just mad at Ford. I'm guessing you would complain about paying a higher gas guzzler tax, or the noise, or both as well.

Aaron1085

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT - Whipple
OP: You've been provided A-Z thoughts and comments regarding staying with the Whipple or a custom tune. Providing real world experience between the two -I would bet my 30 years of experience type "butt-dyno" over anyone else that hasn't provided any real-world comparisons besides bench racing dyno numbers (mountain climbers go for peaks and summits while real enthusiasts look at the entire picture), but failed to compare them either with 40-100mph (1.5-1.8sec slower with the Whipple tune or three to five car lengths) pulls or dyno graph showing the delta from the hit.

If you want a very conservative tune - safe and reliable for many years of daily driving, then the Whipple tune is for you. If you are not looking to break records and have middle of the road acceleration, then Whipple tune is for you. If you only have access to 91 octane - the Whipple tune is for you.

I will agree it is apples to oranges though. Only you can make the decision.
Well said ... well said.

Aaron1085

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT - Whipple
The 55# injectors were sent free of charge, but I sent back the 38# injectors with a prepaid return label which they also supplied so it was an exchange. I received a phone call from Justin Whipple and Jeff Tiller one evening saying the newest update required the new injectors. They offered to exchange them at no charge if I wanted the update. If I remember correctly, they started using 55# injectors after my older installation and the new tunes were for the vehicles with 55# injectors. I decided to go with the updated tune and injectors to stay current. I have not been disappointed. I suggest unless the car's main purpose is racing and not street use, that you stay with Whipple and their support. Best wishes.
Totally awesome they did that. I have exchanged a few emails with them, I think with Justin, when I first purchased the car. I asked some basic questions like coolant reservoir levels and hardware FAQ from a newbie to the forced induction wold.

I will touch base regarding updates and with that, injector sizing.
Thanks!!!

Sponsored

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Go to there website and/or call them.
That kind of conjecture where you say "they lost some engines" then say "check their website or call them" is just an easy comment which is actually a major accusation.

Trash talk without a reference. That's the kind of stuff that shouldn't be on this site unless you have a specific reference or link.

I have had a Whipple tune and it was excellent. The shop I did my dyno pulls on has tuned Mustangs for over 30 years and the owner stated the tune was excellent and he could do no better. The OP is looking for facts, not comments without proof.

In fact the Lebanon Ford Whipple charged Mustangs use the Tomahawk tuner which Whipple designed for their own superchargers.

Check your facts before making negative comments.

noac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
I’m not trash talking anything. I talked with Josh about getting a car done about a year ago. They stopped offering a warranty with the Whipple. They stopped using the Whipple tune and now use a PBD tune with the Whipple. I‘m just repeating what Josh told me over the phone and what the site says.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Actually you are. Your just not backing it up at all. It’s basically a driveby.

I’m not trash talking anything. I talked with Josh about getting a car done about a year ago. They stopped offering a warranty with the Whipple. They stopped using the Whipple tune and now use a PBD tune with the Whipple. I‘m just repeating what Josh told me over the phone and what the site says.

noac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
If you don’t believe me just call LFP and ask why they won’t use the Whipple Tune.

Mantis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
out of curiosity I went to their website and their standard 750hp package has no mention of PBD tune, in fact they supply the tomahawk tool and mention that it is used to flash the car, which whipple is the only one to use. It does mention they do not offer a warranty, but that is because they advise that one is available through whipple.

Now if you look at the "project M" page that talks about pushing the limits for a 1000hp (crank) option that you will be receiving the PBD tune. This is obvious because whipple does not custom tune.
Sponsored