Sponsored

With subframe lockouts are braces even neccessary?

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I've been trying to wrap my head around this. If the rear cradle is locked down at the four corners what is the point of the extra bracing? I'm referring to the long arm braces that Steeda sells. It runs from the side rails to the cradle. How is the IRS still moving if the rubber mounting points are no longer moving? Does this brace really make a noticable difference?
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Steeda's bracing is gratuitous IMO at that point once proper bushing lockouts (BMR, Whiteline) are in place with also the alignment dowels.

@tosha with just the brace it's rather spindly I would assume flexes quite a bit esp at the bolt-anchor points since the slots are GIGANTIC. Plus the brace only controls fore-aft, and not twist or pulling away from the chassis anchor point. And it also doesn't address the BACK pair of IRS mounts.

2024-01-11 17.42.18.jpg

Last edited:

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I've been trying to wrap my head around this. If the rear cradle is locked down at the four corners what is the point of the extra bracing? I'm referring to the long arm braces that Steeda sells. It runs from the side rails to the cradle. How is the IRS still moving if the rubber mounting points are no longer moving? Does this brace really make a noticable difference?
Well for me, to get rid of the magnitude 9.0 wheelhop I install STEEDA lockout and alignment IRS kit. Which got it down to a 4.5 magnitude. I then bought and installed BMR v-links, which did sweet FA except make a lot of unpleasant noises. Talked with @UPRjoe and he recommended their UPR Billet Aluminum Rear Vertical Links . Right as rain, and fricken PLANTED around the corners. Also completely got rid of the wheel hop.

Jjmoberg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 on order
I read enough on here before i got my car that i didn't even test to see how bad the hop was. I put the Steeda alignment dowels, mach 1 bushing inserts, and cradle braces, plus BMR delrin vertical links in before i even had the engine broken in. The rear of my car feels damn solid to me at pretty much stock power levels. If that changes at any point i will do the toe links and ford toe link bearing.

I did the parts I did based on reading and them being the easiest to do, and i could do them all at once. I felt the mach 1 toe link was better than the GT variant, and if i was gonna further upgrade the link, i should do the bearing as well. Which can be a pain in the ass.

It could be argued to do some sort of diff bolt upgrade while the subframe is down, but i hope the braces keep my diff from ever taking a dump. My cradle bolts were very difficult to align once the dowels were in there. Id rather not do that again. LOL

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
On a similar note, do lockouts bring any noticeable improvements if braces are already installed and tighten up the subframe?
Here is my take on those two components - the interesting bit for this topic, starts about half way down my post :

I am a PP1 mag ride car, but the biggest single difference I have noticed to date is the subframe lockouts.

Other mods that I have, that could be considered as beneficial for your question / this topic :

• Front subframe brace (note that PP1 spec already has the three brace front setup).
  • Rear subframe braces.
  • Vertical links.

I know some people rave about the rear subframe braces but to me, the subframe lockouts made a much bigger difference.

I suspect it comes down to which mod goes on the car first.

First mod (be it braces or lockouts) gets you 90% of the total benefit, second mod gets you the last 10% i.e. whichever you do first, will leave the biggest impression on you.

Lockouts are smaller and lighter, but more difficult to fit.

Braces are easier and quicker to fit.

Both mods are 100% reversible.

Both will corrode if used in a harsh environment without additional maintenance / protection.

WD :like:
WD :like:

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Steeda has their vertical links w/poly bushings on sale. Might pick up a set. Those combined with the IRS braces (I also have the front 2 point brace) are probably good enough for what I need. 99% street driving with an occasional track day, but even then I won’t be pushing the car to anywhere near the limit. I won’t touch the diff unless I really need to.

All depends on your use case OP.

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
Installed the BMR Subframe braces and lock out kit on my car, with just that alone it made a pretty big difference. The car feels stiff and planted. End up doing everything else, toe links, camber arms, vertical links, coilovers/shocks, sway bars/links. The rear feels solid.
The front is another story.

CCE73BD8-0BA9-4BCF-85CE-E5B5980E2972.jpg

OP
OP
StangTime

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Steeda has their vertical links w/poly bushings on sale. Might pick up a set. Those combined with the IRS braces (I also have the front 2 point brace) are probably good enough for what I need. 99% street driving with an occasional track day, but even then I won’t be pushing the car to anywhere near the limit. I won’t touch the diff unless I really need to.

All depends on your use case OP.
I'm quite happy with the lockouts. I was kind of forced into doing the diff bushings due to the OEM one cracking and a bolt bending. The rear feels solid so I'm thinking the addition of braces are probably overkill at this point. Might do those vertical links though. Seems easy enough to do.

JustSomeGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JustSomeGuy
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Even with the lockouts the subframe and connecting points can still flex, the braces reduce the flex.

Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
On a similar note, do lockouts bring any noticeable improvements if braces are already installed and tighten up the subframe?
the lockouts and dowels a must have for me the braces I can't fit because I have full lenght Kenny Brown Jacking rails. The IRS base kit alone was enough to drop 0.5 sec of my lap times because the rear subframe was not moving in transitions anymore. Considering the price of this items I think is a must do.
Sponsored