Sponsored

Winter tire strategy help needed

Brodirt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue Ecoboost AT PP every option.
I have a 2018 ecoboost PP with OEM "summer only" tires.
I live and drive in NYC tri-state area year round; I commute 65 miles round trip daily.
I do have an "extra" car, a 1999 Camry, but I've never particularly loved it in the snow; plus my 16yo daughter just got her permit and is itching for the car that I have maintained for her.
I am resigned to having to buy winter tires for the Mustang.
Im trying to figure out the best option, the choices are:

1. Just buy a new set of high performance all season tires (cheapest); my winters are sometimes terrible but most often not all that bad, back in the mid-1990s I made it through 3 winters with a Miata.
2. Full set of full snow/ice tires and have them mounted at my local shop and then reverse the mounting in April (mid-price).
3. Full set of devoted wheels and snow/ice tires and I can change them out in December and April in my driveway (most expensive, most effort, but best for driveability and not having OEM wheels beaten up).
4. Smaller size devoted set to slightly decrease upfront cost.

Anyway, decision time is about 6 weeks away and I appreciate input or other options.
Thanks.
Sponsored

ALLSTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda Accord LX 5MT, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2
i think the general consensus is that all seasons just suck.

Going with the tire swap/mount would be the most cost effective, but its gotta be annoying to have to mount/remount tires (even though if you're just doing it once a year)

Doing the dedicated tire/wheel set swap is what I personally plan on doing. I like being able to swap in my drive way with my own tools. Im from MD, and our seasons are bipolar AF. Could be sunny 68 one day, and then literally 28 the next.

Beware of using a non-oem sized wheel. If you have brembo brakes certain ones wont fit from what i understand. Also, its nice to have winter wheels because of all that salt crap they put on the roads during winter.

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
I have set of OEM wheels, Blizzak Snow tires all mounted and balanced with TPMS sensors. Steeda Jacking rails and a cordless impact wrench make the swap easy in my garage. It’s the way to go. I usually wait till the 1st snow storm.

Here’s the thing. I bought a Silverado 4x4 this spring and the Stang won’t see any snow ... ever. I’ll still put the snows on just in case I get stuck in a snow storm at work because I’ll DD this car unless it’s snow like or slushy salty like.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Brodirt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue Ecoboost AT PP every option.
I have set of OEM wheels, Blizzak Snow tires all mounted and balanced with TPMS sensors. Steeda Jacking rails and a cordless impact wrench make the swap easy in my garage. It’s the way to go. I usually wait till the 1st snow storm.

Here’s the thing. I bought a Silverado 4x4 this spring and the Stang won’t see any snow ... ever.
Ive got a great cordless impact wrench too, worth every penny. I dont have the jacking rails so there is that cost to consider as well, although its a good investment, +$150
Then there is the fact that my current floor jack isnt low-profile and wont fit under the car, total another $350 to the DIY.

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
Ive got a great cordless impact wrench too, worth every penny. I dont have the jacking rails so there is that cost to consider as well, although its a good investment, +$150
Then there is the fact that my current floor jack isnt low-profile and wont fit under the car, total another $350 to the DIY.
You can do it without the Jacking rails but it’s so much easier with them. I like easy.
Yup I had to buy a low profile jack. The one I had already was a 1/2” to tall. No big deal. I like having 2 jacks anyways

Last edited:

Sponsored

stangs-R-me

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
1969 GT & 2016 EB Mustangs
Get a set of USED or TAKE-OFF 18x8" factory rims and get snows to fit. The 18" wheels will fit over stock EB-PP brakes and 18" snows are cheaper than 19". You can use either 235/50-18 (27.3" Dia.), 225/55-18 (27.7" Dia.), or 225/60-18 (28.6" Dia.) Snows ... vs 27.03" dia. for PP 255/40-19.

I've been running 215/65-17 on my non-PP EB which was the stock size tire for 2011-14 V6 A/T and these are 28" Dia / 0.7" taller than my stock 18's. I think there should be plenty of room for the tallest 225/60-18 option (0.6" taller), which is also the cheapest provided you are not lowered. If you are lowered, stick with one of the other two sizes.

Doug

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I've done exactly what stangs-R-me described in the post above - bought 18" wheels and put Blizzaks on them. They were awesome -> (https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...blizzak-ws-80-mounted-on-base-gt-rims.109709/) - take off rims were affordable (bought them here on the forum), tires (from tirerack.com) much cheaper than anything in 19" that would be the right diameter.

(not trying to sell them to you since you're in NY - just showing how they look like - I've used on a non-PP GT I no longer have)

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I’m in the same boat. My EB is my daily driver. I bought a set of the 17” silver sparkle wheels and will be mounting Nokian R3 in 235/55-17 with tpms sensors. Change them in the driveway, usually earlier rather than later, because I’d rather put 500 km more on the tires than end up in a curb some icy morning. Swapping tires on the same rims seasonally gets expensive real fast plus it’s hard on the beads, so I would strongly recommend getting a dedicated set of rims and winter tires.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
3. Full set of devoted wheels and snow/ice tires and I can change them out in December and April in my driveway (most expensive, most effort, but best for driveability and not having OEM wheels beaten up).

Anyway, decision time is about 6 weeks away and I appreciate input or other options.
Thanks.
For any two sets of driving condition that are as different as winter vs summer where you live, what you really want is two complete sets of wheels/tires. Here, that'd be summer tires for three seasons (or as close to that as you're comfortable with), winter tires for the colder months.

Being able to do the seasonal swap yourself means you can do it on your schedule rather than be at the mercy of somebody else's, and by the time you include drive time to the shop and back home again doing it yourself will likely end up taking less time overall. Zero out of pocket vs shop rate times "book time".

Plus, you can guarantee that the lug nuts won't be run down with an air-impact tool set on 'kill'.

Norm

Last edited:

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
18" Steel rims w/winter tires. I do this setup for every car I've ever owned.

Swap them out whenever u need to with your summer setup. Also if you use anything but steel and you live in an area like mine where they salt the crap out of your roads your rims will leak over time.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It's totally worth having a cheap extra set of rims with snow tires. If you are anything like me, with snow tires you will enjoy driving the Mustang in the winter almost as much as in the summer.

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
I ran a full set of snows on my Miata during the winter and it was amazing how well it handled in the snow. I'm tired of swapping wheels back and forth and I'll probably just put Pilot Sport A/S 3+s on my Mustang and drive something else when we get heavy snow. I don't mind giving up a few tenths in cornering during the summer. Keeps things entertaining.

erichsieh22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 Eco PP A10
I just got a used set of factory 18s and four used MCL X-ICEs. Going to rock them in the winter.

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
As Ive posted in other winter tire threads and will continue to post in every winter tire thread I come across the answer is simple.

Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 or bust!!

Best winter tire you can buy and they are worth their weight in gold!!
Sponsored