Winter Tire Help Please

geep81

Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I am looking to put winter tires on my blackout package rims. Size 255/40/19. I can't seem to find Blizzak or Michelin X-Ice tires at that size exactly.

Can anyone give me some guidance on what would work on this size rim?
Advertisement

Mikthehun1

Reaction score
First Name
Mik
Vehicle(s)
19 GT a10, 19 Charger Scat Pack
VB with blackout? Excellent taste.

Check out the Pirelli Sottozero 3's. They come in the same size as stock. Can personally vouch for them handling winter weather very well. They're good on both wet and dry pavement, as well as snow.

OP
OP
geep81

geep81

Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
OP
OP
geep81

geep81

Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Check out the Pirelli Sottozero 3's.
Thank you for the recommendation but I swear but Michelin tires. And the stock Pirellis AS were so terrible they probably turned me off that brand forever. 😂

Mikthehun1

Reaction score
First Name
Mik
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for the recommendation but I swear but Michelin tires. And the stock Pirellis AS were so terrible they probably turned me off that brand forever. 😂
The stock P-zero's are crap in the cold, I'll give you that. I have Michelin PA4's on the Charger. They are also excellent, but I can't compare them 1:1 the cars being so different. I can say that the P-zero's that also came stock on the Charger would spin with the lightest throttle. The PA4's grip well down into the teens, on wet pavement, and snow.

OP
OP
geep81

geep81

Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
The stock P-zero's are crap in the cold, I'll give you that. I have Michelin PA4's on the Charger. They are also excellent, but I can't compare them 1:1 the cars being so different. I can say that the P-zero's that also came stock on the Charger would spin with the lightest throttle. The PA4's grip well down into the teens, on wet pavement, and snow.
Not just performance but Michelins have always been a quieter and smoother ride in my experience. I want it all.

I have daily driven in Cleveland on the stock Pzeros for two winters now. I am not doing it any more.

Mikthehun1

Reaction score
First Name
Mik
Vehicle(s)
Not just performance but Michelins have always been a quieter and smoother ride in my experience. I want it all.

I have daily driven in Cleveland on the stock Pzeros for two winters now. I am not doing it any more.
Then my vote would be PA4's. Why get winter tires when you can get performance winter tires?

br_an

Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 come in that size (255/40) - those are great winter tires.

I just picked up a set of Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 to run on my GT350 this winter. I haven't put them on the car yet, but looks like they should work well.

OP
OP
geep81

geep81

Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Then my vote would be PA4's. Why get winter tires when you can get performance winter tires?
They don't work as good at the winter part from everything I read. I read a bunch of reviews that said they're basically a step above a all season, but not on the level of a real winter tire.

Dana Pants

Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Because performance winter tires suck in actual winter conditions. Often they have a borderline all-season rubber compound. I just ordered Hakka 9s yesterday. I’m gonna get going where I’m going, dry performance and comfort be damned.

br_an

Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
Then my vote would be PA4's.
Mik, I’m with you on the PA4s :like: This tire compound is not at all like an all season tire, feels much more like the Blizzaks I ran the last couple winter seasons; soft. Edit: OK maybe not quite as soft as a Blizzak, but close. Also has a stiffer sidewall. However, they don't have the thick chunky tread blocks like a Blizzak, so probably not as good in snow. But in the steering and handling department it'll be much better than a Blizzak. As with most tires, you have to pick which compromise you want to make.

2E0EFC7A-505F-4304-988B-16538B074D94.jpeg

I don't plan on driving my GT350 in a lot of snow, I'll wait until the roads are cleared. But if I had to I wouldn't worry too much about it. If it's really deep I'm taking the truck anyway.

Last edited:

Mikthehun1

Reaction score
First Name
Mik
Vehicle(s)
Because performance winter tires suck in actual winter conditions. Often they have a borderline all-season rubber compound. I just ordered Hakka 9s yesterday. I’m gonna get going where I’m going, dry performance and comfort be damned.
I've had no issues driving in active snow storms with either car. No "snow mode" either. Sport/Track rain or shine.

Not sure where you're getting your info on compounds either. Both sets of performance winters I have start getting unusably soft and squirmy above 40 degrees. They're plenty soft down into the teens, well below the temperature where all-seasons become rocks.

Maybe it's you that's the problem :giggle:

Good luck with the Hakka's, I hear they're excellent in the snow.
Mik, I’m with you on the PA4s :like: This tire compound is not at all like an all season tire, feels much more like the Blizzaks I ran the last couple winter seasons; soft. Edit: OK maybe not quite as soft as a Blizzak, but close. Also has a stiffer sidewall. However, they don't have the thick chunky tread blocks like a Blizzak, so probably not as good in snow. But in the steering and handling department it'll be much better than a Blizzak. As with most tires, you have to pick which compromise you want to make.

2E0EFC7A-505F-4304-988B-16538B074D94.jpeg

I don't plan on driving my GT350 in a lot of snow, I'll wait until the roads are cleared. But if I had to I wouldn't worry too much about it. If it's really deep I'm taking the truck anyway.
As I said above, I've driven both cars in the snow without any problems. That includes the "deathtrap RWD land-boat" that is my Charger :crackup:

Mikthehun1

Reaction score
First Name
Mik
Vehicle(s)
They don't work as good at the winter part from everything I read. I read a bunch of reviews that said they're basically a step above a all season, but not on the level of a real winter tire.
Having driven in winter on both all-seasons (not just the P-zero's, Michelin AS/3's as well), I have to strongly disagree with those reviews. Like I said, they keep the torque of the Charger in line, at temps where all-seasons simply fail.

Advertisement

8 - UPR Products
Advertisement