Winter tire options advice needed

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
I live in Detroit, MI. I heard this winter is going to be harsh. So I want to be prepared. Mine is a V6 however I am running the PP wheels in stock sizes with summer Pirellis tires(255/40 front and 275/40 rear). Please suggest me which option would work the best.

1) I am getting a local deal for Bridgestone Blizzak LM-32's for around 400 which are used for around 5000 miles. They are stock PP sizes. These are the only tires also available on Tire Rack in stock sizes. So how good are the Performance Winter/Snow tires?

2) Studless Ice and Snow tires. If I go with this option, I have to go with an alternate size, i.e go with 255/40 all around. Even in this size, I only have the option of Yokohama ICEGUARD IG52C. Sadly, the Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 isn't available in that size. So would the Yokohamas be a decent option.

I don't have another car as it's my DD. And it's difficult for me to get an alternate winter wheel setup because the PP wheels are pita to move and store without having a garage.
Sponsored

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
Won't the V6 model take regular 18" wheels ?

I got a set of OEM Ford Mustsng Wheels on eBay $100 each and I had installed Blizzak WS 80''s 235/50 18" on them with TPMS.

Edit:
Just realized you don't want the go the extra set of wheels/tires route. Realize that every time you mount tires on rims it's gonna cost you $150 or more so $300 or more per season. Also, Snow tires are only good for 12k - 15k miles. Check the tread on those 5k tires your buying. They might have more miles than they're telling you.

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
he can run 17s ....

Blizzak WS80 235/55/17

I'd like the taller sidewalls for potholes

I live in a townhouse and have a second set of wheels , you can make them into a nice TV table with some plywood and a cloth . :)

Last edited:

awmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium PP
I live in Detroit, MI. I heard this winter is going to be harsh. So I want to be prepared. Mine is a V6 however I am running the PP wheels in stock sizes with summer Pirellis tires(255/40 front and 275/40 rear). Please suggest me which option would work the best.

1) I am getting a local deal for Bridgestone Blizzak LM-32's for around 400 which are used for around 5000 miles. They are stock PP sizes. These are the only tires also available on Tire Rack in stock sizes. So how good are the Performance Winter/Snow tires?

2) Studless Ice and Snow tires. If I go with this option, I have to go with an alternate size, i.e go with 255/40 all around. Even in this size, I only have the option of Yokohama ICEGUARD IG52C. Sadly, the Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 isn't available in that size. So would the Yokohamas be a decent option.

I don't have another car as it's my DD. And it's difficult for me to get an alternate winter wheel setup because the PP wheels are pita to move and store without having a garage.
I prefer the winter performance tires because I live in the city and the streets get plowed and treated pretty quickly when there is a snowfall so my biggest issue is cold and wet pavement during the storms. But I am not giving up quite as much performance when I just have cold and dry pavement as I would if I went with studless Ice and Snows.
As Rock and Roll mentioned you don't get as many miles out of winter tires because they need deeper tread depth to be useful. They would still be better in cold than the performance pack tires, but their usefulness in snow really diminishes once you get below about 5/32 in tread depth. The other thing to look for is that the tread sipes are still there. This is what pulls the thin layer of water off the top of ice which is really what you slide on when sliding on ice.

If the LM-32s still have their sipes and still have decent tread depth, I'd say go with those.

awmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium PP

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
LM-32's are good, though for deep snow you'd be a little better off with Blizzak WS80's (I got these). The LM-32 will feel much closer to a performance A/S tire on dry, cold roads than a dedicated ice & snow tire like the WS80. The ice & snow tires are a bit mushy but provide great grip.

Since you have the V6, I'd try to find something for a 17" rim (much, much cheaper than winters for 19" rims) and put them on that. The more sidewall, the better for snow, too.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
I'd definitely go with a set of 17" wheels and tires. The price you pay for swapping tires on rims twice a year adds up.

Redraven571

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Convertible Triple Yellow

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT/CS C6 Corvette
I live in a townhouse and have a second set of wheels , you can make them into a nice TV table with some plywood and a cloth . :)
You don't even know the guy and you are trying to get him divorced!

Sponsored

jhols

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
FWIW I did fit 255 square tire setup on my pp wheels for snows. I dont remember what brand but the 275 snow is bad for price. You really can't go wrong with any brand of legit snow tires. I ran General Tires snows on my acura rsx for winters in Grand Rapids and could handle 6 inches of snow no problem

OP
OP
krishelnino

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
Won't the V6 model take regular 18" wheels ?

I got a set of OEM Ford Mustsng Wheels on eBay $100 each and I had installed Blizzak WS 80''s 235/50 18" on them with TPMS.

Edit:
Just realized you don't want the go the extra set of wheels/tires route. Realize that every time you mount tires on rims it's gonna cost you $150 or more so $300 or more per season. Also, Snow tires are only good for 12k - 15k miles. Check the tread on those 5k tires your buying. They might have more miles than they're telling you.
Yes mine came with 18 wheels. But I live in a apartment so due to space issue, I sold them off to another member. It was a foolish decision I am regretting now.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I ran the Xi3 last year, a studless snow/ice tire, it has a 6yr/40K warranty.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Yes mine came with 18 wheels. But I live in a apartment so due to space issue, I sold them off to another member. It was a foolish decision I am regretting now.
No back porch/deck? You could store your current set outside in those nice tire storage bags. You honestly will be better off/the same on cost getting a set of 17" or 18" wheels & tires as the 19" winter tires.
tirerack.PNG

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
So how good are the Performance Winter/Snow tires?
If you have never driven on dedicated winter tires during the winter you will be blown away. They are so much better than an all season on cold dry, cold wet, icy and snowy roads you will be amazed.
Sponsored