Winter insurance info

jabberwoki

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
steve
Vehicle(s)
69 428 CJ Mach 1 , 2020 gt350
Like some my beasty has been put away for the winter but i`m still paying full insurance with state farm.
Anybody got a better plan?
Sponsored

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
You should always do storage insurance. That’s what I always did when I lived in Illinois. It is very very minimal pricewise.

Finally21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350 Race Red
In Minnesota if you have a loan on a vehicle you must maintain full coverage all the time until paid off, then you can drop some coverage during storage season.

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I have State Farm as well. They allow you to suspend your insurance for as long as you wish but keep the property damage portion of the policy in case its stolen, the garage collapses and catches on fire, etc. Definitely do so and save a few bucks.

Sponsored

AlphaBravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I have USAA, and when the Shelby goes into storage for the winter, I remove the collision coverage from the policy, and I put it into the "Storage" status that USAA offers.

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)
I have State Farm as well. They allow you to suspend your insurance for as long as you wish but keep the property damage portion of the policy in case its stolen, the garage collapses and catches on fire, etc. Definitely do so and save a few bucks.
This right here ^

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Like some my beasty has been put away for the winter but i`m still paying full insurance with state farm.
If your company doesn't offer a minimal storage option, all you do is remove everything from the policy except for comprehensive. Most large companies make it easy to adjust all of the parameters online so you just have to do that twice a year.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
One other thing to consider, if you still have a loan on the car make sure the lienholder will allow reduced coverage during storage. Some will, some won't.

Bitten in '69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350, 03 Cobra, 90 GT, 82 GT
Lenders will not warn you in advance. Unless you find out yourself, in advance, you will only find out after they (the lender) send you a bill for insurance coverage they assign.

Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
The first year I had mine when I called my insurance to drop it down to storage coverage they advised me to ask the bank. Turns out my lender allows it.

04mazdaspeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1
Ive been putting my cars in "storage" for years. Meaning dropping the collision part. All had at one point liens on them. Never had any issues with lenders "finding out". Ive had all different kinds of insurance companies as well. If you dont want to go this route, consider collector car insurance. There are some stipulations with them but the cost savings is huge and no need to be dropping insurance every season...lol

OP
OP
jabberwoki

jabberwoki

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
steve
Vehicle(s)
69 428 CJ Mach 1 , 2020 gt350
Wonderful info guys, thanks.

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
In Minnesota if you have a loan on a vehicle you must maintain full coverage all the time until paid off, then you can drop some coverage during storage season.
Same here in Kansas

Blwnsmoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I remove my collision from my State farm policy when mine goes into storage and add it back on in the Spring so I'm only paying for comp.

I get approval from my credit union on a collision waiver that they offer for vehicles stored for the season. They allow me 6 months a year so I remove it from around Dec till mid April +/-.
Sponsored