window tint question

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Maybe living in a hotter more tint friendly state would be different. For now I usually go for the color stable carbon based.
Y’all come down to South Carolina and see what a difference ceramic makes especially in the summer. It’s worth the chance. 😄👍
Sponsored

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
OP, I live in Houston. I had the lowest grade tint on my truck front windows, left the rear windows alone because they were already tinted. I could always feel heat, just assumed that was normal. My wife tinted all of her windows with ceramic, including the sunroof. I got in her car, and it was night and day difference. We can leave the sunroof shade open all summer long in her car and hardly feel any heat through it, and the heat did not come through any of the windows like my truck.

Needless to say, I went back, retinted all my truck windows (including the front) with ceramic, and will do all the rest of my vehicles the same way as long as I live in Texas. If I were you, I would pay the money for ceramic.

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
Is ceramic worth the extra? I'm in the Southern US, it gets hot in the summer and it's supposed to be hot today as well. I am fair skinned and burn easily if that makes any difference. I've always had the "standard" (inexpensive) tint on other cars but wondering if ceramic is "really" worth the additional cost?
Yes, I no longer feel the hint of Sun burning my left arm or my face. And, among all brands, the Johnson & Johnson is the best, so be sure to specify it. I had three cars tinted with Ceramics, and I had to get my Jeep re-done with J&J brand.

Sponsored

bonz50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
15 50th Anniv GT
Not only is it worth it, it is essential. Why spend the money just for the sake of looks when you can get some real benefit for a few dollars more. Ceramic makes all the difference in the world. Just do not forget to do the windshield. Get a low percentage film (70/80%) so visibility is not impaired and the cops will leave you alone.
tenor.png

Mossberg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP, 2002 Mustang GT
Living in GA, I would not do anything other than ceramic at this point. I also had phone GPS reception issues on my other vehicle with the old style cheaper tint I had installed back in 2003.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Definitely worth it. The ceramic blocks soo much more heat and uv rays. Even light tint, like 50% blocks more than 5% standard.

Sponsored

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
I'll see your South Carolina and raise you a Texas. It gets stupid hot here.
I see your Texas and raise you South Louisiana. It not only gets stupid hot here but has high humidity. I had regular tint on my 2018 and it was a huge help. I'll probably do ceramic on my vert since I only need to do the side windows. The rear window is already tinted from the factory. The state only allows the top 6" of the windshield to be tinted, and I don't like that look especially with the safe and smart gear around the rear-view mirror. I usually leave the visors down anyway.

2-44.jpg

bonz50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
15 50th Anniv GT
I see your Texas and raise you South Louisiana. It not only gets stupid hot here but has high humidity.
I can attest to this. Took my son to the Manning Passing Academy in Thibodeaux several years back. hands down the hottest i've ever been in my life and I live in AL. air temp was only 92 the first day, heat index was 118*. crazy!!!

RazzaRossa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Florida central Gulf coast, not to bad heat-wise but humidity can get stifling. Our beaches suck, and fishing is worse, just ask the sharks... Forgot to add, I had rear and sides ceramic filmed, didn't occur to me to do the front, but I know it would cut down heat even more. Cost to do the 5 windows was like $250 2 years ago. I wouldn't want to do the rear on this car.

867A9E67-6C6F-4B8F-897D-FA6427DCF05E.jpeg

55E32D4A-079F-43C0-8C9C-B885AD2B4A30.jpeg

Last edited:

GeorgeC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
Is ceramic worth the extra? I'm in the Southern US, it gets hot in the summer and it's supposed to be hot today as well. I am fair skinned and burn easily if that makes any difference. I've always had the "standard" (inexpensive) tint on other cars but wondering if ceramic is "really" worth the additional cost?
If you're fair skinned it's definitely worth it. You might have a much better chance of not getting melanoma which is a life threatening skin cance. I have stage 4 melanoma and it's no joke. Melanoma kills. Be careful wear sunscreen all the time it could save your life. Good luck.

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
Couple things to mention here.

Ceramic has great visibility seeing out of, but so does a carbon based film. Just do not get the cheapest tint and you should have good visibility. Ceramic does the best with blocking out heat, but if you want max benefit you should do front windshield.

My problem with getting ceramic comes from the price and the risk of having to re-do it. Its illegal to tint window your front windows on my state. So I run the risk of getting a ticket. Then if spend hundreds of dollars on just the front windshield and get a rock chip/cracked window you gotta re-do it. I also live in Michigan where half of the year I want more heat in my car not less. So ceramic never made sense for me and its not worth it for me.

Maybe living in a hotter more tint friendly state would be different. For now I usually go for the color stable carbon based.
Man, that sucks! You'd think in the State that invented cars that they wouldn't have so many rules.
Sponsored