Will the GT500 Have a DCT

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
That's what I was thinking about. A differenciation between their performance cars and regular cars line up. I mean, the 2.3L Mustang and the 2.3L Ranger have the 10 Speed Auto... IMO I would prefer to have a gearbox similar to the Ford GT (DCT 7speed) instead of one like the Ranger.
And the F Series, Expedition, Navigator and...(just my speculation)perhaps Explorer?

Production demand for the A10 will be huge.

The GT500 is a halo vehicle and deserves a halo transmission.:first:

Edit: Clarification of above.
Hoping by some miracle that the next generation Explorer rides on a RWD version of the CD6 modular platform.
Sponsored

Last edited:

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
What makes you think that Ford wants to have the same transmission as the ZL1? To have the same exact performance metric? A manual is different IMO.
I don't want any part of a ZL1 in my GT500. Just sayin. I realize the things in a raptor (and IMO, it was just OK, not great), but unless just has to be, I'd prefer nothing that a ZL1 has in it, unless its superior to anything else. It seems that ford may think that the DCT is superior to the A10? We'll see.
Probably because they co-developed it with GM and both companies are now (or soon) starting to put them in a majority if not all of their cars.

As cool as it would be to have a true DCT, I don't think Ford would have gone through all that trouble and investment to only start all over again and develop an entirely new transmission for a niche very low volume car.

But only time will tell.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Probably because they co-developed it with GM and both companies are now (or soon) starting to put them in a majority if not all of their cars.

As cool as it would be to have a true DCT, I don't think Ford would have gone through all that trouble and investment to only start all over again and develop an entirely new transmission for a niche very low volume car.

But only time will tell.
Hahaha, so, just because they built this together, that means they are buddies and don't want to get a leg up on one another with their halo pony/muscle car? Why not shoot for 650HP as well?
A very good track car either has a manual or DCT, it doesn't have an auto. They suck, mostly in downshifting. Too much delay. If the ZL1 had a DCT, it would have made it much better.
Trust what the insiders are saying, it will be a DCT, unless everyone whines enough because it will cost 80K, and maybe then, finally ford will listen and slap a cheezy auto in a "track" car.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
What makes you think that Ford wants to have the same transmission as the ZL1? To have the same exact performance metric? A manual is different IMO.
I don't want any part of a ZL1 in my GT500. Just sayin. I realize the things in a raptor (and IMO, it was just OK, not great), but unless just has to be, I'd prefer nothing that a ZL1 has in it, unless its superior to anything else. It seems that ford may think that the DCT is superior to the A10? We'll see.
This is a rather asinine statement. So Brembo brakes, MagneRide (developed by GM btw, NOT Ferrari), and the 10R80 (GM/Ford co-developed it btw...) should have no place on a top tier Mustang? :crazy:

Regardless, I would like to think the GT trans would make its way into the GT500. Or a 7 speed manual. But the idea of a beefed up 10R80 isn't out of the question in my mind. But like I always have said here, I won't speculate because I'm not Ford.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Is it okay to have the same engine from the ZL1 in the GT500, even if they co-developed it together? We've used the same manual transmission in the GT500's as GM, so whats the big deal huh? apples to oranges? Do we want to keep the playing field as even as possible?

My point is, what will make this 'track car' go faster around the track? Same transmission as the ZL1? or a DCT that shifts faster and downshifts MUCH faster.

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Everyone that isn't getting one has to be the one to shoot down the DCT.
Why?

Do what?

FWIW I hate DCT's regardless of this thread. Driving around town(which is 99% of the time) feels like some 16 year old kid just learning how to drive a manual. I've had the pleasure of driving some nicely engineered DCT's as well(Mercedes AMG GT most recently) and they will always leave me wishing for a manual. I'm not one to hang my hat on the lap times of another driver, just want something fun.

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Is it okay to have the same engine from the ZL1 in the GT500, even if they co-developed it together? We've used the same manual transmission in the GT500's as GM, so whats the big deal huh? apples to oranges? Do we want to keep the playing field as even as possible?

My point is, what will make this 'track car' go faster around the track? Same transmission as the ZL1? or a DCT that shifts faster and downshifts MUCH faster.
So the GT500 should switch to Baer Brakes systems because the ZL1 uses Brembo systems? Or to Multimatic for dampers? Oh shit, scratch that last one...

You're clouding the subject with an idea that parts alone make the car. The manufacturer (Ford, GM, whoever) TUNING and spec'ing those parts CORRECTLY will make the car perform better.

The S197 GT500 used the TR6060 transmission its entire life. What else uses the TR6060...? Nothing relevant to this conversation really. Only C6 Vettes, C7 Vettes, gen 5 Camaros, gen 4 and up Vipers. Shall we continue? Which had the best feeling TR6060 though? Viper by a laughable margin.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
You're clouding the subject with an idea that parts alone make the car. The manufacturer (Ford, GM, whoever) TUNING and spec'ing those parts CORRECTLY will make the car perform better.
The auto will not out perform the DCT, no matter how much tuning you dump into it. Its not a track option. Its an automatic (no pun intended) fail if they use it and they know it, that's why it wont be in the 'track version'

The S197 GT500 used the TR6060 transmission its entire life. What else uses the TR6060...? Nothing relevant to this conversation really. Only C6 Vettes, C7 Vettes, gen 5 Camaros, gen 4 and up Vipers. Shall we continue? Which had the best feeling TR6060 though? Viper by a laughable margin.
If you read my post, I commented that ford used the same manual transmission in the GT500 as GM a few posts back.
Are we gonna get into who uses the same fasteners as well?

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
If you read my post, I commented that ford used the same manual transmission in the GT500 as GM a few posts back.
Are we gonna get into who uses the same fasteners as well?
I don't understand why you're so bent out of shape about it then. I'm genuinely confused. As I also stated, I'd like to think the GT's 7 speed would hit the GT500 IF 2 pedals was the direction Ford decided on.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I'm not bent out of shape, maybe you think I am.
Just sayin, guys come in here saying they want it to have the auto, or think that it SHOULD, just because GM and Ford co-designed it. IF ford wants to out perform the ZL1-L1E on the track, its gonna need every advantage it can get IMO.
Maybe it wont end up being a track type car but all leads have went that direction.

I'd have no problems with that 10A, if ford included it in a drag pack option.

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT

But only time will tell.
Ford didn't develop a DCT... its a tremec built unit that they would be purchasing directly from Tremec or manufacturing under license
Sponsored