Sponsored

Will the GT500 have DSSV Dampers?

VoodooPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold 2011 GT, Sold 2016 GT 350, 2018 GT 350R JR034
What do you guys think? Will the GT500 have DSSV dampers? I’m hoping they try something different rather than sticking with magniride or maybe make DSSV standard on the track pack or R version for guys who enjoy tracking the car. ZL1 1LE and Mercedes GT both have DSSV dampers and are top handling track cars.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I hope not. I think the GT500 is supposed to be somewhat comfortable on the street, so I think Ford will be better off using something with more flexibility.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Voodoo said the TRACK or R version to hopefully have DSSVs. So the base car will still be comfortable on the magnaride suspension.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Voodoo said the TRACK or R version to hopefully have DSSVs. So the base car will still be comfortable on the magnaride suspension.
I still hope to see a track version that is reasonably comfortable during daily driving. It's a total cop out to do what GM did with the Z/28 and the ZL1 1LE. I think if the car is unpleasant to drive, Ford will have failed.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I still hope to see a track version that is reasonably comfortable during daily driving. It's a total cop out to do what GM did with the Z/28 and the ZL1 1LE. I think if the car is unpleasant to drive, Ford will have failed.

I think the bold is really the "base" car which will be extremely competent on track - and I don't believe there will be any kind of PP1/PP2 variant, i.e., a small performance oriented "package". If there is another model variant, I think it will go really radical, and gear everything towards max performance, like DSSV, lowered, curb scraping aero, etc.

I guess I sort of just outlined the exact strategy adopted by Chevy with the ZL1 / ZL1 1LE, but that works pretty well, you know, assuming there's not some significant negative business impact with a super low volume car like the 1LE. That car is obviously for very specific owners, willing to trade some comfort for ultimate performance - and also for GM to have some bragging rights.

I know it requires additional certifications and whatnot, but if Ford does follow that same model, it would be cool to see the "R" model have higher output (on top of all the other go really fast goodies).

Hell, I just wanted a convertible version ...

65Terdlingua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang
No one complains about the stiffness of the Ford GT. It has DSSVs.
It also has a completely different suspension thats more optimized and uses a dual spring system in non-track mode and the shocks are electronically adjustable. I'm sure when it goes into track mode, drops down and eliminates the torsion spring, it gets quite a bit stiffer.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It also has a completely different suspension thats more optimized and uses a dual spring system in non-track mode and the shocks are electronically adjustable. I'm sure when it goes into track mode, drops down and eliminates the torsion spring, it gets quite a bit stiffer.
Plus AFAIK things are different in an extremely light car that is very low to the ground versus a big, boaty Mustang.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
If a track oriented version is available, I want maximum performance and not a watered down version. Bring on the DSSV's Ford.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Plus AFAIK things are different in an extremely light car that is very low to the ground versus a big, boaty Mustang.
When people talk about lightness and include the GT I chuckle.

Sponsored

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Why couldn't the GT500 DSSVs be electronically adjustable as well? The torsion spring isn't eliminated, the coil spring is locked out in track mode. Either way, the GT uses DSSVs and no one complains of a crappy ride like they do on the Z28 and 1LE.

65Terdlingua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang
Why couldn't the GT500 DSSVs be electronically adjustable as well? The torsion spring isn't eliminated, the coil spring is locked out in track mode. Either way, the GT uses DSSVs and no one complains of a crappy ride like they do on the Z28 and 1LE.
The GT500's could be electronically adjustable, but Im sure that adds a pretty penny. Your right, I said torsion spring and not coil, and by eliminated i meant its function in the system. Either way, the GT suspension is probably utilizing much softer springs than what the Z28 has to use to get max grip.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Nobody drives Ford GTs like a regular car. And the magazines seemed to do cream puff reviews because they were just happy to get the opportunity to drive one - and they wanted the opportunity to drive the next big thing from Ford.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
There's a few in SoCal that go to various events and the owners seem to drive them a decent amount.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
When people talk about lightness and include the GT I chuckle.
Well if you compare the Ford GT to a high end sports car like the 911 GT3 it's significantly lighter with significantly more hp. What common cars out there are so superior in weight and hp that you feel the Ford GT becomes a joke?
Sponsored