Sponsored

Will the GT500 have DSSV Dampers?

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Of course there will be the standard, parade version for all the old farts that can't wait to wear their Shelby jackets and hats. We're talking about the highest (track) performing version available. I hope to God Ford doesn't sacrifice in order to satisfy the Cars and Coffee crowd.
I hope there is a hardcore version too, harder than the 350R.

Not that I’m in the market for one, but if it’s truly a force to be reckoned with, and I mean it has to beat the 1LE, I would be interested.
Sponsored

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Does someone here think that with DSSV dampers the GT500 could both handle better and stay comfortable? Or are people rooting for the GT500 to be a car that has the magazine numbers but no one will want to drive?

I liked the spy photos that showed the GT500 being compared to luxury cars like the Merc. I think that's a good sign that Ford won't sacrifice street comfort for slightly faster lap times.
The Ford GT has electronically adjustable DSSVs and no one says the car is harsh on the street like the Z28 or ZL1 1LE. I think it's the first application of the adjustable suspension, and it would make sense the GT500 would be the next car to use them. The AMG GT also uses DSSVs and I don't recall people complaining about the ride either.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I hope there is a hardcore version too, harder than the 350R.
Exactly how I feel. What worries me is that Ford will fall short. I am in the market and have been hoping/waiting for a 500 with CF wheels, RSD, CF shaft, coolers out the yang, and the best dampers Ford can put on it. And while I've wavered on what Ford is going to offer transmission wise I have heard some things recently that strongly indicate to me that Ford didn't bail on the DCT - I can live with that choice.:)

The Ford GT has electronically adjustable DSSVs and no one says the car is harsh on the street like the Z28 or ZL1 1LE. I think it's the first application of the adjustable suspension, and it would make sense the GT500 would be the next car to use them. The AMG GT also uses DSSVs and I don't recall people complaining about the ride either.
Hopefully the cost to benefit analysis was such that the latest and greatest DSSV's proved worthwhile over the best Mag dampers currently available and Ford had the cojones to go all the way.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Of course there will be the standard, parade version for all the old farts that can't wait to wear their Shelby jackets and hats. We're talking about the highest (track) performing version available. I hope to God Ford doesn't sacrifice in order to satisfy the Cars and Coffee crowd.
No need to be a jerk to people who like to drive their cars and can't afford to live at the track.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Does someone here think that with DSSV dampers the GT500 could both handle better and stay comfortable? Or are people rooting for the GT500 to be a car that has the magazine numbers but no one will want to drive?

I liked the spy photos that showed the GT500 being compared to luxury cars like the Merc. I think that's a good sign that Ford won't sacrifice street comfort for slightly faster lap times.
I doubt it, but the GT500 SHOULD have a street and track version of the car, in which case the track version would be the one for DSSV. If you want a comfortable car, don't get the track version. I really don't understand what's so difficult about that

Also, go drive a Mercedes GTR and tell me they don't sacrifice comfort for faster lap times. I guarantee you'll come back disappointed

the standard, parade version for all the old farts that can't wait to wear their Shelby jackets and hats.
The accuracy of this statement has me DYING

Sponsored

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
I doubt it, but the GT500 SHOULD have a street and track version of the car, in which case the track version would be the one for DSSV. If you want a comfortable car, don't get the track version. I really don't understand what's so difficult about that

Also, go drive a Mercedes GTR and tell me they don't sacrifice comfort for faster lap times. I guarantee you'll come back disappointed
Apparently people are stupid. Because they didn't get the "Track Pack" GT350 and complained when their cooler-less "Tech Packs" overheated. :headbang:

The Ford GT with DSSVs is 'comfortable'. The GT350R was also made "comfortable". Maybe comfort is just more important to Ford than Chevy.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No need to be a jerk to people who like to drive their cars and can't afford to live at the track.
Au contraire mon frere. The intent was to be a jerk to those that push for a dumbed down, gutless version that offends nobody because everyone's a winner. I like to drive and also don't live at a track. Neither stops me from wanting the track version of the upcoming GT500 to be as track oriented as possible, sans nannies. You'll have the opportunity to buy the soft derriere version if that's what you prefer. Just don't rain on my desire for something as hardcore as Ford is willing to go.

TLDR?

Track it...
qqqqqqqqqqqq%203.6-Mile_Race_Track_13-M.jpg

Not jacket
qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq%202e9a06c891b5529a1d1fdd6327c6c549-S.jpg

Last edited:

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I would think MagneRide could be (if someone wanted to) programmed to imitate spool valve shock characteristics too. I don't know...I like the idea of MagneRide. It's like dual clutch transmissions vs automatics now. Sure, dual clutch boxes shift super fast. But frankly, so do torque converter autos now too without the drawbacks of a dual clutch box.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Apparently people are stupid. Because they didn't get the "Track Pack" GT350 and complained when their cooler-less "Tech Packs" overheated. :headbang:

The Ford GT with DSSVs is 'comfortable'. The GT350R was also made "comfortable". Maybe comfort is just more important to Ford than Chevy.
I know I'm stupid. I fell for the line "most track capable Mustang ever" and assumed that on a 70 degree day I could run at the track for 20 minutes at a time. But hindsight is 20:20. It's easy to be a know it all after the fact.

Most people want to be comfortable in a car. And I'm not afraid to admit that I want to be comfortable when I drive to work in my car. I would also sacrifice a second or two around the track when I go there in order to have a car that I can also drive daily to work without getting injured by pot holes. I've been on track enough to understand how quick a car can be while still being comfortable. I'm happy with how fast my GT350 is on track.

Au contraire mon frere. The intent was to be a jerk to those that push for a dumbed down, gutless version that offends nobody because everyone's a winner. I like to drive and also don't live at a track. Neither stops me from wanting the track version of the upcoming GT500 to be as track oriented as possible, sans nannies. You'll have the opportunity to buy the soft derriere version if that's what you prefer. Just don't rain on my desire for something as hardcore as Ford is willing to go.
I will admit that my GT350 is more cushy than it would have to be. The previous owner of my 944 installed Delrin bushings and coilovers in it. That car is a little harsh, but still a lot of fun to drive (for being an old, gutless box of crap). I just hope Ford doesn't make a car that's super fast but no one wants to drive.

I don't think a car that's driveable on the street is dumbed down or gutless. You got rid of the GT350 very quickly. What have you been driving at the track since then? On the street? A cushy SUV? It seemed to me like you mostly polished the GT350, did a bunch of cosmetic changes to it and then sold it really quickly. I guess if you treat a car that way there's no reason to care if it's fun to drive.

It kind of seems like some people just want a car that "makes the number" in the magazines and don't really care about driving the car.

I would think MagneRide could be (if someone wanted to) programmed to imitate spool valve shock characteristics too. I don't know...I like the idea of MagneRide.
I like the idea of Magneride as well. I think it works really well. Probably a spool valve shock is lighter, but it isn't nearly as flexible.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
I know I'm stupid. I fell for the line "most track capable Mustang ever" and assumed that on a 70 degree day I could run at the track for 20 minutes at a time. But hindsight is 20:20. It's easy to be a know it all after the fact.
Well I won't call you stupid, but an honest question: what was your rationale in purchasing a tech pack instead of a track pack? Did you not know the tech pack didn't have coolers, or did you just feel the tech would be enough to do a 20 min session at your driving level, and not want to compromise the better touch screen system? (I can't blame you on the latter and it sucks Ford didn't do the right thing by offering both like they did in 2017.) If so, what did you think the track package offered that you didn't need?

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Most track capable if you equip it as such. Some chose coolers. others chose comfort. Guess which one ran a bit hot when pushed a bit hard?

Hack said:
I just hope Ford doesn't make a car that's super fast but no one wants to drive.
Ford the umpteenth time...if you plan on buying one then equip it to best fit your needs. But remember, a compromise is never perfect.

Hack said:
I don't think a car that's driveable on the street is dumbed down or gutless.
In the context of your previous statements you make it clear that you only want Ford to go so far in terms of all out performance. That's what you want. Then order the car in a way that best suits your needs. Is it that hard?

You got rid of the GT350 very quickly. What have you been driving at the track since then? On the street? A cushy SUV?
If two years is "quickly" for you that's great. I've stated why I sold the car elsewhere, numerous times. I planned on purchasing a GT500 for development purposes and I made a deal that put me in the best position possible.

I haven't been driving (my own car) at the track because I don't have one ready to go anymore. I have spent the time since I sold my '16 gutting and going through a 1990 LX HO.

20180704_212559-L.jpg

It was originally equipped with a fancy quadrabind rear suspension, woefully inadequate front rotors and tiny rear drums, T5 transmission originally designed to work behind a 4 cylinder engine, and a measley 225hp. I considered suing Ford but then came to my sense and realized I knew full well what I was buying so instead I grabbed the bull by the horns and have continued to spend my free time addressing each and every inadequacy. Something lost in today's world it would seem.

What do I drive on the street? A Jeep JKU. More of a college girls SUV as delivered and I once again considered suing but remembered (Duh...) that I'm responsible for the choices I make in life. So I gutted it and started over such that it wouldn't be "cushy" anymore.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz%20%20%20aadf21ed-3e1e-414b-b4a7-60c7978a7b2a.jpg~original-XL.jpg

Hack said:
It seemed to me like you mostly polished the GT350, did a bunch of cosmetic changes to it and then sold it really quickly. I guess if you treat a car that way there's no reason to care if it's fun to drive.
Now I sold it "really" quickly? I'm in a friggin' time warp here where the clock keeps going faster and faster. Somebody make it stop!

For the record I never polished my GT350. Sure I washed it as needed and kept it clean but I'm not an orbital kind of guy if that's what you were inferring.

And I appreciate you noting that I did a "bunch of cosmetic changes." I thought I fared pretty well breaking ground with FORscan, coming up with an engineered caliper fastening design, and working with MGW on the totally unique TR3160 shifter, along with a host of other unique mods on the car that was bought and sold at the speed of light.

Seriously?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Well I won't call you stupid, but an honest question: what was your rationale in purchasing a tech pack instead of a track pack? Did you not know the tech pack didn't have coolers, or did you just feel the tech would be enough to do a 20 min session at your driving level, and not want to compromise the better touch screen system? (I can't blame you on the latter and it sucks Ford didn't do the right thing by offering both like they did in 2017.) If so, what did you think the track package offered that you didn't need?
I didn't care about the touch screen at all, actually. I'm not really into "luxury" interiors. However, I was concerned I wouldn't be comfortable in the Recaros. Much as I knew I would use the GT350 on track, that would only be a hand full of times per year. I can't afford to buy a new car just for track use and I can't afford to go to the track more than a few times a year. I agonized about the decision for a long time and for some reason at the time I thought it would be easier to upgrade my tech pack if necessary than to modify a track pack car.

Now that I've swapped the transmission and added a rear diff cooler I'm very happy with my car on track as well as on the street. Took me a while to get there, though.

What do I drive on the street? A Jeep JKU. More of a college girls SUV as delivered and I once again considered suing but remembered (Duh...) that I'm responsible for the choices I make in life. So I gutted it and started over such that it wouldn't be "cushy" anymore.

Now I sold it "really" quickly? I'm in a friggin' time warp here where the clock keeps going faster and faster. Somebody make it stop!

For the record I never polished my GT350. Sure I washed it as needed and kept it clean but I'm not an orbital kind of guy if that's what you were inferring.

And I appreciate you noting that I did a "bunch of cosmetic changes." I thought I fared pretty well breaking ground with FORscan, coming up with an engineered caliper fastening design, and working with MGW on the totally unique TR3160 shifter, along with a host of other unique mods on the car that was bought and sold at the speed of light.

Seriously?
I snipped out some of the stuff you wrote.

So you will own a GT350 or GT500 (briefly), but drive a cushy SUV most of the time. And the GT500 will be for development of products.

No wonder you want the GT500 to be hard core. You don't plan to use it much, so it doesn't matter to you if it's comfortable on the street.

I do appreciate your work with developing products. I appreciate it a lot. I have your caliper studs and I think they are great. I also used Forscan based on your help. That was fun and I've thanked you for it previously as well.

I still think you should be honest about your use case for the GT500. You aren't like me - you won't drive the car every day and take it to the track as much as you can afford. You probably won't keep it longer than necessary to develop products to sell for it. You won't put tens of thousands of street miles on it.

Since you are throwing pretty hard and heavy punches at people who use their cars differently than you, can you handle my assessment of how you are using your cars?

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Damn. I'm sure the trans swap wasn't cheap. What did you do with the old trans? I didn't think about the base tech seats.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Damn. I'm sure the trans swap wasn't cheap. What did you do with the old trans? I didn't think about the base tech seats.
I still have the tech pack transmission. I've considered selling it, but since the track pack transmission has no warranty I don't mind having a spare.

Ford did help tech pack owners with a great price on a replacement transmission. It was a fair amount of work doing the swap, but I'm grateful that Ford helped with a path towards fixing the temperature issues.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
No wonder you want the GT500 to be hard core. You don't plan to use it much, so it doesn't matter to you if it's comfortable on the street.
Yes, because when you buy a TRACK car, you buy it primarily for its prowess on the TRACK. Otherwise, you could just get a run-of-the-mill GT and be happy as a clam (I mean, without the glamor of that oh-so-special Shelby name)

See, this is why I will never understand people who daily their mustangs. They want "performance", but bitch when the suspension isn't cushy enough for them. Brings down those of us who actually buy a performance car for PERFORMANCE but have to spend all kinds of money making it less cushy because they wanted a performance car just to look cool.

Serious question, Hack... You obviously have more money than you want to make us seem if you were able to get a GT350 and add a diff cooler (I'm assuming the OEM Ford Performance package) AND swap the trans... Why don't you get an Ecoboost as a daily and keep your Shelby as a track toy? That way, you could've gotten the track pack GT350, gotten a base Ecoboost (with a downpayment from the $8k or so you spend on the cooler and trans) since you don't need the fancy screen or anything, and the money you would save on gas daily driving it would essentially make your car payments on the EB while you have a comfortable daily driver and a nasty track car for the days you want to go race or just "take a spirited drive", as they say. I mean, if you're dead set on having a Mustang as a daily driver, the EB is by no means a boring car. Ideally, I'd say use that $8k and just get a Focus or something, but I've seen how the guys on this forum freak out when I say that Mustangs are awful daily drivers
Sponsored