Why the Mach1 is a rip off

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
My issue with the Mach 1 was that I can get the ZL1 1LE for not too much more and the performance of the ZLE exceeds the mach 1 greatly. I would pick a Mach 1 over a SS 1LE on looks alone but the Camaro is really really good. I drove one on the street and on the track and its a great platform.

Alternatively, you could write this as, “My problem with the ZL1 LE is I can get a loaded C8 for not much more”
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
only the base trim Mustang with no options makes sense anymore. If you want 'premium' just throw Katzkin at a 300/301A car. Every time I look at a M1 I keep coming back to >40 grand is way too much to money for a Mustang. 60 grand by god better come with Caddy interior and accouterments or something spectacular (Blackwing, aka a better Camaro, on steroids and fancy interior) ... Gonna look at a ZL1 in orange this week for giggles. But I'm just biding my time for the market to normalize and get another SS/1LE for 10k cheaper than even Granger's pricing on M1.

SemperFi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 m0303
only the base trim Mustang with no options makes sense anymore. If you want 'premium' just throw Katzkin at a 300/301A car. Every time I look at a M1 I keep coming back to >40 grand is way too much to money for a Mustang. 60 grand by god better come with Caddy interior and accouterments or something spectacular (Blackwing, aka a better Camaro, on steroids and fancy interior) ... Gonna look at a ZL1 in orange this week for giggles. But I'm just biding my time for the market to normalize and get another SS/1LE for 10k cheaper than even Granger's pricing on M1.
Better buy that camaro soon. After 2022 it is gone and not coming back. Maybe a 2030 all ev model...maybe.

Orange devil

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro,toyoda
Glade I got my 19 orange 🍊 beauty

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
After 2022 it is gone and not coming back. Maybe a 2030 all ev model...maybe.
nonsense. There will be a MY23 camaro. Job #1 date already confirmed. The Blackwings are Camaro Gen6.5. They got C8 bits and are on the updated chassis the Camaro uses today. It would be trivial to put Camaro body and shove LT1 engine into a CT4 or CT5 and give it that special cut-rate interior Camaro prides itself on. Gen7 may be gone but since the 'maro and the Blackwngs are built at the same plant, a little badge engineering would be downright simple.

Sponsored

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Seems to me that biggest problem that some people have with Mach 1 is that that they had different expectations and thus not like the outcome. But that's just their subjective feelings.

It's GT with almost all of the optional stuff included as standard, bit more power, with additional improvements for track, unique front fascia, exhaust tips, decals and badges giving homage to the original Mach 1. It's not Shelby but borrows some good parts from them. Is that good? It's awesome. It really is the pinnacle of S550 GT development at the end of this generation (and that's what Ford officials say too).

As for price, compare comparable (current year prices and same spec). In Premium it's 3k more than similarly equipped GT Premium PP1 (not including HP package which is certainly not suitable for everyone's needs and thus optional).

It's pointless to bicker about wet dreams of what it might have or should have been. This is it and if you already own GT or GT350 it's pretty pointless to buy it imo, you're obviously prejudiced by direct comparison. For those who don't own it, like me, especially in Europe, this is the best factory Mustang we can get now.
I totally agree. For those of us outside of the U.S., this is the highest performance Mustang we can buy. The GT, we cannot option with the Tremec manual transmission. Similarly, would I want to drive the handling package with Cup2's on a cool damp UK road...no way, I think it would be very dangerous. I appreciate that in America one has more Mustang options, and depending on which state you might have nice dry smooth roads.

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
nonsense. There will be a MY23 camaro. Job #1 date already confirmed. The Blackwings are Camaro Gen6.5. They got C8 bits and are on the updated chassis the Camaro uses today. It would be trivial to put Camaro body and shove LT1 engine into a CT4 or CT5 and give it that special cut-rate interior Camaro prides itself on. Gen7 may be gone but since the 'maro and the Blackwngs are built at the same plant, a little badge engineering would be downright simple.
The chip shortage isnt going away for quite some time. If you want a Camaro, you should get one now otherwise you may face equipment restrictions and lose features.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
But I do agree with all the people saying the Mach 1 is too expensive. Mustang prices have gone up way too much in the last 5 years. They aren't a performance bargain any more like they used to be.
Agreed.

My '15 stickered for $40,015. I just went on the configurator, and the closest equivalent, sparsely-optioned Premium GT lists for $50,530 today. You can't tell me that the new one is improved to the tune of $10K.

It's more than a little ridiculous. I can only imagine what the S650 will bring.

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Had I not have sold my 17 GT for $37k because Vroom is on crack, I would never have moved to the Mach 1. The one I ended up getting was close to $70k after everything was said and done paying sticker for it. Originally, I wanted to pay less than that but Ford decided cancelling my order was the cool thing to do. Given the current state of things, who knows what is going to happen in the future. We could wake up tomorrow and the S650 is cancelled. I didn't want to take that risk and wanted to grab an upgraded model from what I had.

Earlier I had mentioned this car is overpriced. I think if we look back pre-pandemic we would all agree. If you have the patience and want to take the risk of what's to come, you could profit on this whole situation big time. I chose not to.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Agreed.

My '15 stickered for $40,015. I just went on the configurator, and the closest equivalent, sparsely-optioned Premium GT lists for $50,530 today. You can't tell me that the new one is improved to the tune of $10K.

It's more than a little ridiculous. I can only imagine what the S650 will bring.
A base GT with M6 and the 301a is $39,680. With the average price of a new car at $37k I’d say that’s still one hell of a bargain.

All cars have increased significantly over the past 7 years. The Mustang is no better or worse in this regards.

The price of 2023 S650 bare GT will still probably be in the high $30’s. No reason for it not to be.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
A base GT with M6 and the 301a is $39,680. With the average price of a new car at $37k I’d say that’s still one hell of a bargain.

All cars have increased significantly over the past 7 years. The Mustang is no better or worse in this regards.

The price of 2023 S650 bare GT will still probably be in the high $30’s. No reason for it not to be.
I see your point, but you'll never convince me that there have been $10K+ in improvements between the two cars in my scenario....

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
I see your point, but you'll never convince me that there have been $10K+ in improvements between the two cars in my scenario....
even low inflation levels account for over half of that in 6 years. so it is only a 4-5k difference tops, which is reasonable considering the engine generation tunings, suspension tuning improvements, etc.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Your scenario includes the Performance Pack which we all know has increased substantially over the past 7 years. That alone makes up the bulk of the difference. A 2021 GT Premium M6 with the Black Accent Package (to give you 19" wheels) is $42,475. It's not as bad as you are making it out to sound.
Sponsored