Sponsored

Why the Mach1 is a rip off

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
How did this become a Camaro versus Mustang thread, lol.
I had the temerity to suggest there are nearly identical cars from other-than-Ford who have a significantly divergent price point. Heck I can buy a new 2020 Hellcat for less than the Mach 1 even with Grainger's 7% discount.
Personally though, I don't see where Camaro owners are enjoying all that extra performance in real life.
I don't think anybody has been necessarily asserting Camaro is better or faster at anything, except pricing, timing, and equipping the car properly from day one.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
if you mean S197 Mustang and before, then yes there is a word: "total_unmitigated_crapola". Mustangs interiors have been so incredibly bad for 30+ years you couldn't pay me to own one.
Guess you've never driven a car from the 1950s - early 1960s era (let alone owned any of them). They make even the base S197's interior look positively luxurious.

Think unpadded steel dashboards, vinyl bench front seats and floor covering, and floor-mounted "stomp-on-it high-beam switches.

It's from that experience that makes complaints about the interiors of cars made in this century sound like whining for the sole sake of finding something to whine about.

That started with the magazine reviewers, which I'm sure we all agree are the ultimate authorities on such things . . . .

Norm

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Guess you've never driven a car from the 1950s - early 1960s era. They make even the base S197's interior look positively luxurious.
the only contact I have with ancient iron is thru Mecum TV and sitting in a freshened '69 (?) Mustang v6 in sky blue. But it doesn't matter that pre-S197 were leaps and bound better than before. It was still utter crap no different really than my Cutlass Calais or K-car. The S550 interior is no Audi but it's the first Mustang that had something that could pass for decent.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Guess you've never driven a car from the 1950s - early 1960s era. They make even the base S197's interior look positively luxurious.

Think unpadded steel dashboards, vinyl bench front seats, and floor-mounted "stomp-on-it high-beam switches.

It's from that experience that makes complaints about the interiors of cars made in this century sound like whining for the sake of finding something to whine about. This starts with the magazine reviewers, which I'm sure we all agree are the ultimate authorities on such things . . . .

Norm
When I need a dose of reality, I take my '67 Cougar out for a spin. However, it gets far more attention than my Mustang when out and about.

Now, back to the rip-off.....

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I had the temerity to suggest there are nearly identical cars from other-than-Ford who have a significantly divergent price point. Heck I can buy a new 2020 Hellcat for less than the Mach 1 even after Grainger's 7% discount.
I don't think anybody has been necessarily asserting Camaro is better or faster at anything, except pricing.
As I've been saying since these threads popped up, I 100% agree the Mach 1 is a terrible, horrible, ridiculous value for what you actually get. But...being that it's a special edition car, you're paying to be unique. So it's only a rip off if you don't value that aspect of it (I definitely don't). The people buying them clearly don't care that a Hellcat they could have got for less gaps their anus on the highway on ramp, or that a Camaro owner will run faster laps without overheating on their first (and last) track day. Ford knows this.

Also, I read the whole thread, and there were definitely more than a few assertions of Camaro superiority thrown around. Possibly with someone matching your user name. I even completely agree with these people, but my counterpoint is that most people don't give a damn about cornering speeds, or driver feedback, or any of the things that make the Camaro better. The average driver thinks tire squeal means they're going to crash. I owned two corner carving machines before this car, and I barely ever used the capability because in order to have fun, you had to be doing double the speed limit, or be on track. I lost nothing in the real world by going to a base, floaty ass grandma suspension GT. I have far more fun making V8 burble sounds in traffic, and revving out my nearly infinite 2nd gear on the highway on ramp, lol. My experience is not unique by any means. And we have some amazing roads here too.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
and there were definitely more than a few assertions of Camaro superiority thrown around.
ok, guilty. I did mention the GM Magneride tuning is way better than Ford's and it had much advanced track-use driving modes and better chassis 'feel'. I'll charitably concede I don't know how well the Mach1 lap times will match up. Had the pricing been right and the test-drive proved up, it was better than even money I would have traded up.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
ok, guilty. I did mention the GM Magneride tuning is way better than Ford's and it had much advanced track-use driving modes and better chassis 'feel'. I'll charitably concede I don't know how well the Mach1 lap times will match up. Had the pricing been right and the test-drive proved up, it was better than even money I would have traded up.
No disagreement from me. GM even has a better software programming for the same exact A10, which makes no sense to me. Although I guess Ford has about half the resources these days compared to GM and is getting poorer by the second. As far as lap times I suppose we'll find out. I'd be fine with it, if it was a second or two off the GT350 pace, but also didn't overheat like the PP2.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
As I've been saying since these threads popped up, I 100% agree the Mach 1 is a terrible, horrible, ridiculous value for what you actually get. But...being that it's a special edition car, you're paying to be unique. So it's only a rip off if you don't value that aspect of it (I definitely don't). The people buying them clearly don't care that a Hellcat they could have got for less gaps their anus on the highway on ramp, or that a Camaro owner will run faster laps without overheating on their first (and last) track day. Ford knows this.
Exactly. Especially the part I boldfaced, where you're basically wanting to get something badly enough to pay extra for it.

Also, I read the whole thread, and there were definitely more than a few assertions of Camaro superiority thrown around. Possibly with someone matching your user name. I even completely agree with these people, but my counterpoint is that most people don't give a damn about cornering speeds, or driver feedback, or any of the things that make the Camaro better. The average driver thinks tire squeal means they're going to crash. I owned two corner carving machines before this car, and I barely ever used the capability because in order to have fun, you had to be doing double the speed limit, or be on track. I lost nothing in the real world by going to a base, floaty ass grandma suspension GT. I have far more fun making V8 burble sounds in traffic, and revving out my nearly infinite 2nd gear on the highway on ramp, lol. My experience is not unique by any means. And we have some amazing roads here too.
This comes down to individual preferences. For some, it's more about the sound or a quick blast in 2nd or maybe 3rd gear. But there are some who prefer the better composure of a car built with a bigger helping of corner-carving goodness even in street driving. Camaro keeps getting mentioned because if you're going to do the corner-carving thing right, you should expect people to run them hard for longer durations than quarter mile ET numbers, and build the car with adequate supporting systems.

Norm

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
But it doesn't matter that pre-S197 were leaps and bound better than before. It was still utter crap no different really than my Cutlass Calais or K-car.
I just don't get this level of disdain.

The Mustang is a Ford. Not a Lincoln. Not even a Mercury Cougar, either of which could realistically call for the more upscale interior so many reviewers whine about not getting.

Norm

Trap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302
I just don't get this level of disdain.

The Mustang is a Ford. Not a Lincoln. Not even a Mercury Cougar, either of which could realistically call for the more upscale interior so many reviewers whine about not getting.

Norm
Have to agree The majority of people that will buy the Mach 1 will probably never take it to the track. They will want it for it's uniqueness and paying tribute to the original Mach 1, and having a specialty built car, that they can go out and enjoy.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The Mustang is a Ford. Not a Lincoln. Not even a Mercury Cougar
you forget, it's an american-made piece of shit. See some of us grew up overseas where even the cheap cars are made and assembled with care and attention. No, they obviously aren't sporting Italian grade-1 leather; hard plastic was common-place. Americans have traditionally tolerated the worst materials and quality control that even Soviets would be ashamed of. Ok, so I'm overstating THAT by a bit, but the general principle applies. We love to mock the French automotive industry but we Americans don't have much leg to stand on. The quality improvement of American cars in the last 10 years is remarkable.

Last edited:

Trap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302
you forget, it's an american-made piece of shit. See some of us grew up overseas where even the cheap cars are made and assembled with care and attention. No, they obviously aren't all sporting Italian grade-1 leather; hard plastic was common-place. Americans have traditionally tolerated the worst materials and quality control that even Russions would be ashamed of. Ok, so I'm probably overstating THAT by a bit but the general principle applies.
I'm confused, if you think the mustangs and other American car's are that bad why are you looking at them, go and buy European.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
if you think the mustangs and other American car's are that bad
they WERE that bad. The comment was in regards to S197 and before. The S550 is remarkably better than previous. I already own a GT and SS. They met my minimum standards to purchase.
Sponsored