Sponsored

Why the Mach1 is a rip off

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
a
That is a subjective statement. We can agree that the materials used are very similar between the models, but the actually ergonomic designs are completely different. Neither of them feel cheap for the segment they are intended to sell into.
This is my thought exactly on the interiors between Camaro and Mustang (except the base Mustang interior screen is silly compared to the base 7" screen in the Camaro). Overall, similar material quality, completely different design execution; whether someone likes it or not becomes a matter of design taste and how the ergonomics work for them. I agree the ergos in the Mustang interior are better than the Camaro.

I will say, though, that my GT Premium interior feels nicer (to me) than the GT500 interior I've sat in. The black driver mode knobs and rotary shifter in the GT500 feel very cheap. The GT premium leather covered shifter and metal-look knobs (even though they are not real metal) look and feel much better in the GT Premium. I also think the ZL1 interior feels nicer (to me) than the GT500 interior.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I agree the ergos in the Mustang interior are better than the Camaro.
seconded. The Mustang feels just like every other sedan on the market, open/loose. The Camaro is much closer-in and "sporty/track-y".

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
seconded. The Mustang feels just like every other sedan on the market, open/loose. The Camaro is much closer-in and "sporty/track-y".
I did notice how upright my GT feels compared to the seating position in the ZL1 after I drove one. Definitely a lower slung and sportier feeling driving in the Camaro.

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
Both are cheap..... The end
And the band Rush sucks. The end.

My point is if you care that much about interior buy a luxury car, saying a mustang interior "feels less cheap" is silly. They both use cheap materials and feel cheap in general.
Mustang interior feels less cheap than the Camaro's...The End

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It’s really more akin to saying a McDonalds employee isn’t more special than a Burger King employee just because they get the special Coke. The Jordans, Einsteins, etc. of the car world would be things like the GMA T.50
How so? Is it built on the same skeleton as the base Mustang? No. Your argument is that a GT500 is no more special than a base Mustang, as both are built on the same platform/chassis. Your response in regards to the T.50 is like comparing an ape to a human being.

Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
How so? Is it built on the same skeleton as the base Mustang? No. Your argument is that a GT500 is no more special than a base Mustang, as both are built on the same platform/chassis. Your response in regards to the T.50 is like comparing an ape to a human being.
Dude, a GT500 is literally just an ecoboost Mustang with a bunch of upgrades bolted on. There’s nothing really stopping anyone from being able to convert an Ecoboost Mustang to a GT500 with relative ease. It doesn’t get custom chassis work, doesn’t need custom rear quarters, roof, or anything structural... it’s all just parts that bolt on

You can turn a 5’2” McDonalds worker into a Burger King worker within days. But you could never turn that McDonalds worker into Michael Jordan. In the same sense, you can turn a base Ecoboost Mustang into a GT500 with relative ease. But no matter what you do, that ecoboost Mustang will never be something special (like a GMA T.50)

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Dude, a GT500 is literally just an ecoboost Mustang with a bunch of upgrades bolted on. There’s nothing really stopping anyone from being able to convert an Ecoboost Mustang to a GT500 with relative ease. It doesn’t get custom chassis work, doesn’t need custom rear quarters, roof, or anything structural... it’s all just parts that bolt on

You can turn a 5’2” McDonalds worker into a Burger King worker within days. But you could never turn that McDonalds worker into Michael Jordan. In the same sense, you can turn a base Ecoboost Mustang into a GT500 with relative ease. But no matter what you do, that ecoboost Mustang will never be something special (like a GMA T.50)
There’s an old saying, sometimes it’s better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are a fool than opening it and removing any doubt.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10

There’s an old saying, sometimes it’s better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are a fool than opening it and removing any doubt.
I think you're both kind of right. The GT500 is way more special than an Ecoboost, no doubt, but it can be built if you have the right parts from Ford. But the GT500 meets the definition of special, compared to an Ecoboost:
1614829741973.png

Ecoboost to GT500 is like turning a fat, overweight Mike Tyson into fit a strong, fit, and mean Mike Tyson.

A theoretical overweight, lazy Jordan wouldn't have been special, but ultimate competitor Jordan, well, he's historically special. Same person, different outcome. Sort of like Ecoboost vs GT500, although the GT500 isn't the Jordan of the car world (that's probably the McLaren F1).

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I think you're both kind of right. The GT500 is way more special than an Ecoboost, no doubt, but it can be built if you have the right parts from Ford. But the GT500 meets the definition of special, compared to an Ecoboost:
1614829741973.png
I’ve had this conversation PLENTY of times before. If you want to argue “special” from a semantic point of view, then ANYTHING could be considered “special” since it’s just relative. Hell, a fucking Pinto could be “special” if it’s in a parking lot full of Chevettes.

Point is, a Mustang is a Mustang is a Mustang. There’s nothing about them that makes them special. They’re all mass produced cars that can be had in standard trim for a bit over $20k. If you’re buying a Mustang to be “special”, you’re buying it for the wrong reason

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I’ve had this conversation PLENTY of times before. If you want to argue “special” from a semantic point of view, then ANYTHING could be considered “special” since it’s just relative. Hell, a fucking Pinto could be “special” if it’s in a parking lot full of Chevettes.

Point is, a Mustang is a Mustang is a Mustang. There’s nothing about them that makes them special. They’re all mass produced cars that can be had in standard trim for a bit over $20k. If you’re buying a Mustang to be “special”, you’re buying it for the wrong reason
That's true, somewhat. But, also, a '20 GT500 is special in a sea of crossovers and trucks. I'd say the same thing about a Camaro ZL1, HC Redeye, Z06, Nissan GT-R, etc. Compared to the millions and millions of boring but practical crossovers, those cars are special. Heck, you should see my Mustang GT when I drop off the kids at school...talk about crossovers and SUVs!

Sponsored

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 - N3451 2015 Focus Titanium
Is the Mach I a rip off? ... well, not if people buy them they aren't.

I was intrigued when Ford announced the Mach, only because I knew the 350 was being put out to pasture. I hoped it would be a Coyote'd engine track focused replacement. I wondered if they would correct all the things they cut corners on with previous PP models and do it the way it should have been done from the beginning.

Could all of this have been done with a true track option package for the GT? Sure and it would have cost consumers far less. But, Ford is not going to let the opportunity to make money go to waste. They know consumers will buy overpriced "packaged" products and retro models ... its been proven for years.

This was their chance to build the GT that should have been built to compete with the SS 1LE, give it a retro recognizable name, add a cute numbered plate to the dash, the coolers needed for track usage, a Bullitt tune, 350 trans and a price that would make Paris Hilton blush. Looks like they've succeeded.

But will the model succeed? Its hard to say. We'll have to see if orders continue after the initial round placed once it was introduced. It didn't take long to see the Bullitt sales stagnate after being introduced. I looked at inventory in a 100 mile radius of my area and there are only 3 ordered. That doesn't show a lot of confidence with the dealer network in my opinion.

Then again, I think this is a product of Ford trying to capitalize on a dwindling market segment while also raising prices across the board. People that want it will pay more because of a lack of direct competition that appeals to them. The Mustang in general is getting pretty pricey IMO.

The Mach I is only special because it is seen so in the eyes of the person writing the check. A HiPo ecoboost is special to that buyer as well for the same reasons.

Last edited:

5.2 VooDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Comp. Orange GT 350 - Born March 3rd - Arrrived March 14th
LMAO so true! And it just keeps happening...

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
How did this become a Camaro versus Mustang thread, lol. Obviously the ZL1 is a much better value/vehicle if you can reach under your couch cushions for the few extra pennies to get it instead.

Personally though, I don't see where Camaro owners are enjoying all that extra performance in real life. Sure, on track it's faster. On a curvy road it feels more composed. Cool. Yeah, I'd lose a stop light race, but I'm not 18 so I'm not doing that regardless. But the entire reason I got a Mustang was because curvy driving was 1% of my drive time yearly, at most, and I wanted to have fun driving around on regular roads. I'm 90% of buyers. For going somewhere and having fun doing it, the Mustang is hard to beat. The Mach 1 is absolutely a rip off, but the people that are washing them every saturday in their driveway won't think so, because they won't even use 10% of the capabilities of the vehicle anyway.

Also, if it weren't for Cadillac, the alpha platform as we know it probably wouldn't exist. GM would probably still be using the old, original refresh chassis (Zeta) which sucked balls.