Sponsored

Why the Mach 1 is a bargain....

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I read somewhere that 10R80 Machs are still getting additional transmission cooling that standard GT's do not get.
they are getting the F150 cooler. It's a single extra row on the heat exchanger. Woop-de-doo.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Except when they use the name on a crossover. So much for history eh?
That’s the MACH “e” - E being for all the “ediots” at Ford that thought taking an Escape SUV, planting it onto a VW ID4 skateboard and calling it a Mustang would be the cool thing to do... NOT.

(Disclaimer: yes I spelled idiots wrong on purpose it was not an auto correct).

dfanucci

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT / 68 Mustang Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Did that make ya feel better, OP? Nothing like a little click bait, to sooth an ego...

As the owner of a 68 -- the original catfish -- and a 20, I love the look of my two catfish.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It’s all relative. It might perform better, but the question is how much better? If my car was a stock PP1 then sure, the Mach would be faster around a track. The way my car is set up now, maybe it would and maybe it wouldn’t. It definitely wouldn’t be faster in a straight line. I hope Car and Driver runs one on the Lightning Lap to see how it compares objectively to a PP2.
If you have a PP2 it will keep up for a couple laps early in the morning on your track day. And then you will either be in the paddock or doing cool down laps while the Mach 1 owner is happily running fast laps.

And by the time your car cools down the Mach 1 owner will probably be lapping faster than you due to his familiarity with the track.

And your wife and kids will decide they like the Mach 1 owner better. And your boss will offer the Mach 1 owner your job.

Sorry, went a little over the top there. You get the idea though. The Mach 1 is better than the PP2. If you drive hard at all on track, cooling is a huge deal.

Sponsored

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
If you have a PP2 it will keep up for a couple laps early in the morning on your track day. And then you will either be in the paddock or doing cool down laps while the Mach 1 owner is happily running fast laps.

And by the time your car cools down the Mach 1 owner will probably be lapping faster than you due to his familiarity with the track.

And your wife and kids will decide they like the Mach 1 owner better. And your boss will offer the Mach 1 owner your job.

Sorry, went a little over the top there. You get the idea though. The Mach 1 is better than the PP2. If you drive hard at all on track, cooling is a huge deal.
From what Ford has published about it, it should be better. I’m interested in seeing how much. The PP2 posted a better lap time than a Camaro SS 1LE by about 1 second at the Lightning Lap. Is the Mach 1 another second better? 0.1 better? It will/would be a lot easier for folks to justify the cost of a Mach 1 if/when there was data showing how it stacks up on a track compared to those two cars.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The PP2 posted a better lap time than a Camaro SS 1LE by about 1 second at the Lightning Lap. Is the Mach 1 another second better? 0.1 better?
all due to tires. Cup2 are better track tires than SuperCar3 and the PP2 is shod with 305, the SS 285 up front. Also SC3 == PS4S. The Mach may not make any time on PP2 but it should be able to string more than a couple laps together. The Mach (modulo trans) is what the PP2 should have been all along.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
The title of the thread is "Why the Mach 1 is a bargain..."

In response to that, here is my answer. Some of these details I just learned, some I already knew:

These are kind of in order of importance:

Tremec 6 speed transmission
Exterior appearance including unique striping, front fascia, Mach 1 emblems
Unique exhaust sound (vs active exhaust on the GT) and very cool exhaust tips
PP 1 handling package with unique Mach 1 tuning, GT 350/500 parts.
MagneRide
Unique wheels (I ordered the performance wheels)
Much better cooling
An owners manual that actually tells you how to set up the car to track or drag race it (this was never on my Bullitt or GT manuals) which tells me Ford made this Mach 1 to DRIVE!

Comparing the Mach 1 I ordered to a Mustang GT Premium with similar options was approximately $4,500 more for the Mach 1.

So, I am paying this "premium" for a car with:

More HP
Better handling
Wider wheels
Better cooling
More distinct and unique
Much better transmission including 5 speeds with one OD vs 4 speeds with 2 OD

That is what makes the Mach 1 a bargain.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
An owners manual that actually tells you how to set up the car to track or drag race it (this was never on my Bullitt or GT manuals)
you have drive modes in your Bullitt and the manual goes into all kinds of detail about launching at the strip and camber for track. (it might be in the supplement) and should also talk about no-lift-shifting. Just be sure you replace IRS bits before you start dumping the cluch or prepare to break things. Because Ford is unlikely to have fixed their previous Fkups in that department. Just because engineering finally went back and re-read what the English majors put in the manual and pointed out a bunch of missing/outdated stuff doesn't mean the Mach1 had diddly 'new' to it.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
I think you need to put that comment in the why the Mach 1 is a ripoff section...

Sponsored

SmokinAces

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
or coast the straights and having to short shift constantly. That’s why I sold it and that’s why I’m here. If Ford would have come out with the Mach 1 sooner, having to choose between Mach 1 or GT350 would have been a tough decision. But a great problem to have.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
From what Ford has published about it, it should be better. I’m interested in seeing how much. The PP2 posted a better lap time than a Camaro SS 1LE by about 1 second at the Lightning Lap. Is the Mach 1 another second better? 0.1 better? It will/would be a lot easier for folks to justify the cost of a Mach 1 if/when there was data showing how it stacks up on a track compared to those two cars.
I wrote that whole long post to try to explain. One lap - yes the PP2 might make one lap faster. But do you want bragging rights on the internet or a fun track day car?

I can tell you, there's nothing worse than running a couple laps in the morning and then having limp mode engage. I owned a 2016 GT350 with the technology package, so I know about this first hand. It was 50 degrees when I got to the track with a high of 70 at 3 pm, so it was quite cool and comfortable.

It really sucks when your car starts to pull power. And you feel like you are abusing it and it might break. All was good with the GT350 once I replaced the transmission and added coolers for the trans and diff, but that cost a lot of money and time. Don't make the same mistake I did.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
I wrote that whole long post to try to explain. One lap - yes the PP2 might make one lap faster. But do you want bragging rights on the internet or a fun track day car?

I can tell you, there's nothing worse than running a couple laps in the morning and then having limp mode engage. I owned a 2016 GT350 with the technology package, so I know about this first hand. It was 50 degrees when I got to the track with a high of 70 at 3 pm, so it was quite cool and comfortable.

It really sucks when your car starts to pull power. And you feel like you are abusing it and it might break. All was good with the GT350 once I replaced the transmission and added coolers for the trans and diff, but that cost a lot of money and time. Don't make the same mistake I did.
Great example on what makes the Mach 1 a bargain...

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
all due to tires. Cup2 are better track tires than SuperCar3 and the PP2 is shod with 305, the SS 285 up front. Also SC3 == PS4S. The Mach may not make any time on PP2 but it should be able to string more than a couple laps together. The Mach (modulo trans) is what the PP2 should have been all along.
Camaro fans always have to say this stuff. Look up the tread wear rating of the tires and you will see that the super car 3 tires on the SS 1LE are much more equivalent to the Cup 2 tires rather than the PS4S. I don't know why people continue to stretch the truth when it's so easy to just look up the information. Yes there is a SLIGHT difference in treadwear rating, but not much. The "superior design" of the Camaro chassis surely should be able to overcome the slight difference in tire stickiness.
SS 1LE SC3 - 220
PS4S - 300
GT PP2 Cup 2 - 180
GT350R Cup 2 - 180

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Camaro fans always have to say this stuff. Look up the tread wear rating of the tires
treadwear is an arbitrary made up number for marketing purposes. There is no industry standard. It means NOTHING as a description of outright grip and can NEVER be used as a comparison metric between brands. Within a single brand of tire or model family yes the TW rating can indicate a relative ranking.

The reason the SC3 and PS4S are the same is because they turn the same lap times on the same car. Anyone who has run the SC3R and Cup2 knows that pairing is the correct matchup.
Sponsored