Sponsored

This is the brand new 2021 Mustang Mach-1

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
After all I had heard about the MT-82 I was concerned about ordering an Ecoboost Mustang with the MT-82 , but I bit the bullet and ordered a manual trans Ecoboost Mustang. So far I have found the MT-82 trans to shift as smooth as silk and am glad I got a manual trans in my 2020 Ecoboost. I will let you all know if I still love the trans after a year or two.
Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
The Ecoboost MT82 isn’t too bad. But the 2018+ GT MT82 is AWFUL. The gear spread is terrible. that’s actually the main reason I sold my car for the Mach 1... driving mine would actually make me mad because the RPM drop from 3 to 4 was so ridiculous, but then from 4th to 5th (which was almost never used) was the closest ratio in the whole damn gearbox

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I don’t think the price is THAT awful. If they had made the base price even $1k cheaper and made the Recaros standard, I don’t think anyone would be upset about the price. Sure, you can option a PP1 to a similar price, but with the cost of adding a 3160, coolers, and subsequently losing your warranty, I’m still pulling for the Mach (unless the handling package is more than $3k, at which point I’ll be weighing my options)

I still say that if Ford would’ve just added GT350 heads and increased redline to 8000 on the Mach, everyone would’ve been satisfied
I might have been satisfied if it had a higher redline and GT350 heads. That would have been awesome in my opinion. Port injection >> direct IMO. For some it might be too early to match/beat GT350 performance, though. And I assume the price would have been higher.

I’m ok with the price as it’s pretty much right where I thought it would be.
but I would have loved to see the gt350 brakes included!!!!
Agree. The brakes are worth a lot IMO. But again usurping GT350 performance too soon and raising the cost/price of the Mach.

The only thing they didn't do that I wish they did from the factory was direct injection. If that didn't give us a few extra hp, it would have at least given us slightly better fuel economy! Fuel economy isn't all that important for a toy car for me, but 16mpg combined still just comically bad :cwl:
It seems pretty good to me for a big barge like a Mustang with 500+ hp. If you drive gently you can get around 20. But who wants to do that?

Loaded 2015 GT af already in the garage, GT350 TR3160 parts from flywheel to rear differential flange already in the garage , downshift rev match controller only only a few hundred dollars more
Yeah I'm in a similar position adding cooling to my 2017 GT. I have a GT350 Tremec 3160 as well. It's the Tech Pack version, but with external cooling it will be good.

Actually both IMO :)... BUT finally Ford fixed it properly starting with 2019 Mustangs. I've owned 3 Tremecs and this MT-82, and my Bullitt tranny is better than those 3. In fact, the last one (TR6060) on my last Vette was defective right off the truck (car had 3 miles on the clock), so as far as I'm concerned, the crappy one is the Tremec. Ha ha. But generally speaking, they feel less refined, but withstand more abuse. So I guess which is the better tranny depends what you want the car for. In my case, I'm very happy with the Getrag, at least so far :rockon:.
I like the MT-82 in 2015-2017 before they messed up the gearing. I think the Tremec is good too, but people either abuse their MT-82s or I just had really good luck with every MT-82 car I've driven. They were all really good.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
:cwl: :cwl: :cwl:

Ok Fred, better turn off TC and disable the power-steering. While you're at it, replace the assisted brakes lines with mechanical linkages, the EFI with carbs, and the starter motor with a hand crank. Oh, and no radio for you. Real drivers don't need the distraction :sunglasses:
When I’m on track...

TC off: got it
Power steering: how does that matter?
Hydraulic brakes: holy shit, that’s a stretch
EFI: Ahh okay, so you’re just an idiot
Hand crank: Yep, idiot confirmed
Radio: No shit, who doesn’t turn their radio off when driving with performance in mind

So yeah, anything else you want to bitch about just because I don’t like my driving experience to be diluted and boring? Or are you just gonna give us an autistic scream about “BUT A10 IS FASTURRRRRR” as if you can actually feel that 1/10 of a second?

Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I might have been satisfied if it had a higher redline and GT350 heads. That would have been awesome in my opinion. Port injection >> direct IMO. For some it might be too early to match/beat GT350 performance, though. And I assume the price would have been higher.
Higher redline and GT350 heads would’ve made Mach 1 the perfect Mustang IMO. But hey, nothing the aftermarket, a couple grand, and a weekend with a few beers cant fix if you really want it!

Port injection > direct injection, yes. However, dual injection > both. All the power advantages of direct injection with all the reliability and durability advantages of port injection... it’s literally the perfect combo!

I kinda feel like Ford decided to keep Mach 1 vs GT350 a toss up because they probably weren’t sure if they were actually going to discontinue the GT350. We all know that car being sold after 2018 was just a cash grab, I think they were just trying to gauge how long they could sell it before sales got stagnant, and as soon as the ADMs disappeared, that was the indicator that demand was no longer there. But if the demand were still there, the GT350 would probably still be produced and they wouldn’t want the Mach 1 overstepping it

Last edited:

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
Yeah I'm in a similar position adding cooling to my 2017 GT. I have a GT350 Tremec 3160 as well. It's the Tech Pack version, but with external cooling it will be good. I like the MT-82 in 2015-2017 before they messed up the gearing. I think the Tremec is good too, but people either abuse their MT-82s or I just had really good luck with every MT-82 car I've driven. They were all really good.
How long have you had you TR3160 installed in your GT? The one I have is also a 2016 Base/Tech version so the only extra cooling I would have for it would be the Shelby cooler scoop I have to install with it.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Point is Fred, can I call you Fred, or would you prefer Mr. Flintstone? Point is, that if you consider the only difference between driving and being a passenger to be the transmission, you need to consider all the other "driving feel" things you're totally fine with giving over to the computer.
I’m not letting the computer take complete control over my throttle inputs, I’m not letting the computer take complete control over my steering inputs. It’s a completely irrelevant argument. Your point is just “YOU HATE TECHNOLOGY BUT YOU USE TECHNOLOGY”, when in reality, that’s not the case at all. I hate systems that take control away from me, make decisions for me, and have the ability to override my decisions. THAT’S what makes a driving experience good, and an automatic does all of those things that I hate.

You drive a manual, you get driven by an automatic

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
So far I have found the MT-82 trans to shift as smooth as silk
I'd hate to lay in bed with your definition of 'smooth as silk' sheets...

Put the Steeda bracket into place and you'll love it much more.

Fordified

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several Mustangs thru the years
To each his own, but I'm with Jake on this one. Today's auto trans appeal to many and are quite impressive in how far they've come, but for me, no thanks. I'm old school and want to be involved in the driving process that only a manual can reward you with. And I turn off as many driving nannies as I can from the computer. They step in too quickly for my liking.

However, the MT-82 that I drove last was like waking up with a hangover. Hard to shift when cold, much better when warmed up. After prying on it a bit (when warm), it locked me out of fourth then wouldn't let me back into third. I believe a Steeda trans bracket would definitely help the transmission from flexing too much in this case.
I'm sure the Tremec will be a welcome addition to the Mach 1.

Sponsored

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
To each his own, but I'm with Jake on this one. Today's auto trans appeal to many and are quite impressive in how far they've come, but for me, no thanks. I'm old school and want to be involved in the driving process that only a manual can reward you with. And I turn off as many driving nannies as I can from the computer. They step in too quickly for my liking.

However, the MT-82 that I drove last was like waking up with a hangover. Hard to shift when cold, much better when warmed up. After prying on it a bit (when warm), it locked me out of fourth then wouldn't let me back into third. I believe a Steeda trans bracket would definitely help the transmission from flexing too much in this case.
I'm sure the Tremec will be a welcome addition to the Mach 1.
My MT-82D4 is beautiful. I do not love the gearing but the shifting is great. smooth and just falls into gear. Must have got a good one I guess. I do not like that it 'thunks' when going into first from a dead stop but that and the gearing are my only complaints. Coming from a 5 speed, this was an easy transition since it is just a double overdrive '5 - speed' to me.

Having a '19 GT PP2, I am interested to take a Mach 1 - manual out for a spin just to see what all the Tremec comments are about and to see if I prefer the gearing. My curiosity is if I will feel the gearing too close since I have only driven 5 speed with a single overdrive all my life. But that is for me and I am sure most will find it great. I too might.

What I will love most is all the past manual - now auto drivers will have one less thing to complain about.

The Mustang is so versatile and has so many options. Either:

1. Accept that at least they have a manual still with the MT-82D4 and just deal with it since many find it fine. Auto guys should simply think about the extra sales their car is getting because manual guys are helping keep it around.
2. Get a revamped one in the Magnum XL and the others available
3. Get an auto and miss the manual
4. shut up. It is so getting old. Why not just post a link to where you already complained about manuals instead of wasting your breath since anyone who drives a manual doesn't care about your opinion since they desired one. If you can drive one, like one and already own one, an auto guy just will not convince them to change. Just like it is nearly impossible to convince a guy who cannot drive a manual to buy one. We each like what we want and should stop badgering the guy about the neighborhood who lives next door. We just live at different addresses but love what we have. Unite!

Why would you auto guys what to make a manual guy feel bad about buying a Mustang? Do you really want to lose them as a customer as they go elsewhere to find a manual since you finally convinced Ford to stop making them? I speak for myself when I say that I would even buy a manual in an electric just to still be required to shift and have more fun driving. For as long as I can drive one, I will own a manual. I think I can speak for most manual guys when I say I would rather drive a bad manual than any automatic.

It is fun to listen to a guy playing the drum but it is more fun to play them yourself. That is what a manual tranny is to a manual guy. Let's not do to the manual what has already been done to rock and roll.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I'd hate to lay in bed with your definition of 'smooth as silk' sheets...

Put the Steeda bracket into place and swap the fluid to BG and you'll love it much more.
Fixed.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
To each his own, but I'm with Jake on this one. Today's auto trans appeal to many and are quite impressive in how far they've come, but for me, no thanks. I'm old school and want to be involved in the driving process that only a manual can reward you with.
This ^^^

It's one thing for the size and weight of most any car today to pretty much necessitate power assists for steering and stopping. But manually shifting a transmission from one gear to another needs no such help, let alone any help with deciding when to shift or what gear to shift into.

As far as I know, automatic transmissions are still pretty stupid when it comes to deciding when to shift to anything it can't find in 'D' . . .

Norm

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase

I have barton hybrid 3 body mounted, Steeda clutch spring, I LOVED my transmission, had something done at a shop, saw they sold BG syncrhoshift II, they charged me basically cost of fluid so I said sure toss it in while on lift.

LOVED IT MUCH MORE. it was butter smooth already, but had a very slight notch when cold, now the notch is basically gone even when cold. it improved it marginally but imo, its worth it.

hated my car before clutch spring, hated it less after, but the barton + spring = joy, and BG synchro just added a little bit of sweetness to the deal. worth it! I will recommend it to everyone.
Sponsored