Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.transfueler.com
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
You and I both know that the fastest you'll ever see a Triumph is on the back of a flatbed. All the Mustang owner will need to do is race you on a Tuesday, and the Triumph probably won't be running that day.
Right... Good thing we race on weekends! :cwl::cwl:
Sponsored

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'
Right... Good thing we race on weekends! :cwl::cwl:
Except every second Sunday, or if it rained earlier in the week, or under a full moon... Triumphs are beautiful cars, but I've also had the 'pleasure' of working on them. Best thing I ever saw done was to drop the tub onto a roller Miata.

Automobilist

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.transfueler.com
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
That's a bummer. Ours is in top condition, and a superb race car. Never has had a DNF...
My old GT6 did tend to throw rods through the block at 7,000 rpm... :sunglasses:

Guess a Mustang 6-cylinder would make a decent LeMons car. :like:

dman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt pp lightning
2016 GT 435 hp/400 tq
2018 GT 460 hp/420 tq

Why would you buy a 2016 GT when you could have bought a 2018 GT? What is your reasoning?
for me, it would be that I don't type and would not have been happy with owning a typewriter as in "tick". also all the "set in stone" numbers really don't mean much to each vehicle til dyno tested. '18's also gained apprx 170 lbs of factory curb weight which offsets the minimal gains. they all have plus/minus...there is no unicorn. I own a '17 but I also own a '67 so which one should I have bought? who cares...dman

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
There's nothing wrong with the V6 at all. But if you want the V8 for the extra performance, the V8 rumble/character.....you're just going to get/want the V8. That's me. A lot are like me but not everyone. If you don't require or crave a V8, the V6 isn't exactly a slouch by any means. I drove one and it wasn't bad at all.
If you didn't have your Jetta, I'd say your best mix would be a V6. You already had the too high power supercharged Coyote, then you got bored with just the Jetta and now you're back saying a plain V8 is perfect when before it was boring and couldn't be enough for you. I love dailying my car and there's not a moment where I think I have too much power so far.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
That's a bummer. Ours is in top condition, and a superb race car. Never has had a DNF...
My old GT6 did tend to throw rods through the block at 7,000 rpm... :sunglasses:

Guess a Mustang 6-cylinder would make a decent LeMons car. :like:

Autocross.

Sc00ter

Sc00ter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow GT Premium w/50th Appearance
I'm more referring to someone who picked the V6 out of the 3 option line up.
Bear376 has a valid point - I would have bought a 2015 V6 with the performance package (GT suspension and performance rear ratio) if Ford had not decided to phase the V6 out by ONLY offering it as a de-tuned fleet vehicle stripper with no leather, sound system, etc. options. And since a 4-cylinder in a Mustang is just plain wrong on so many levels, the V8 was the only option I could live with. Not that I’ve ever regretted it, mind you.
However, if I’d known you can pick up a full GT suspension here on the forum for a grand, plus another grand for a complete 19” factory wheel/tire setup, I would have probably done that.

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
If you didn't have your Jetta, I'd say your best mix would be a V6. You already had the too high power supercharged Coyote, then you got bored with just the Jetta and now you're back saying a plain V8 is perfect when before it was boring and couldn't be enough for you. I love dailying my car and there's not a moment where I think I have too much power so far.
The '18 and '19 V8 GTs feel more potent down low the '17s I test drove. They don't feel like they need to wrung out nearly as much to feel the juice. I'll never go back to a boosted Stang. It was overkill for the streets for me. Could never keep the power down especially from a stop. If I didn't have my Jetta, I'd still have the V8 most likely b/c I have no commute.

hws52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I don't mean to nag anyone about their purchase but it's something that literally makes no sense to me. The V6 S550 has the least power and least torque and 2nd best fuel mileage out of all of the new S550s...

Let's go off pre-2018 since I own a 2016.

GT = 435hp/400tq - I average about 14-18 mpgs
EB = 310hp/350tq - Can easily see 28-30 mpgs
V6 - 300hp/280tq - But why?

The EB is probably the easiest to make power with because turbo duh!
The V8 is obviously the most fun and sounds the best, until your EB has 550tq? Idk

So, what is your reasoning?
Well I can think of two reasons one might have bought a v6;
1) Old school, prefers supercharge over turbocharge
2) Cost, insurance, etc.

Personally I am on my 4th Mustang, a '18 GT, all four starting with my '69 a V8 and/or GT. Also I would agree with #1 in that I don't care for turbocharging, but in the same breath I would not have a V6 Mustang. Nothing against the V6 or anyone owning one. the more mustang's sold, any flavor, the better chance we can enjoy them.

Sponsored

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'
Bear376 has a valid point - I would have bought a 2015 V6 with the performance package (GT suspension and performance rear ratio) if Ford had not decided to phase the V6 out by ONLY offering it as a de-tuned fleet vehicle stripper with no leather, sound system, etc. options. And since a 4-cylinder in a Mustang is just plain wrong on so many levels, the V8 was the only option I could live with. Not that I’ve ever regretted it, mind you.
However, if I’d known you can pick up a full GT suspension here on the forum for a grand, plus another grand for a complete 19” factory wheel/tire setup, I would have probably done that.
Tell that to the SVO. Go ahead, right to his face. He's looking at you.
svo1.jpg

ponyman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2012 MCA Mustang
I love my V6 2012 Mustang. Engine has plenty of power, great handling, and no ticks, or noises of any kind. I bought the car new in the fall of 2011 and it has been very reliable. I have not seen any posts about the engine problems that the coyote has. I believe the coyote's days are numbered. At some point it will be replaced by a V6 twin turbo, detuned version of the Ford GT.

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
Street racers are idiot wannabe's. And "racing" a V6 Mustang versus a Mustang GT? Delusional...
Come to a real race track and race me & my Triumph Spitfire with its 1147cc 4-cylinder. Your 6-cylinder Mustang will be a long, long ways behind a real race car with a real race driver...
Sure, meet you at Road America. Just need someone to loan me a v6.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

edco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007GT & 2017V6_ great Steeda & AM mods
I bought a 2017 V6 Mustang because it was my #1 choice. $24K with 6spd AT. There has never
been a better bang for buck value. I can afford the coyote but I did not want another V8 manual.
And if I go V8 I only go manual.
The V6 is underrated and overlooked. No it won't beat an ss, 5.0, hellcat, and dozen other cars
in a drag race but I don't drag race. To go 5.0 I would have had to trade the GT. The '17 V6 may be
the best car I have owned. I am nearing completion of my home grown performance pack.
Steeda: Extreme G-track, rear IRS braces, aluminium rear vertical links, adjustable rear toe-links, camber plates,
H&R 24mm metric wheel spacers. On the to get list is Power Slot rotors, Hawk pads, Eibach sway bars,
2nd set of Sparco wheels with Riken Raptor summer tires. The stock 5 spoke wheels with Hankook all season
are the best factory wheel set I have ever experienced. Strong and fast and hard to beat. But I want an all
season/summer option out of my garage. Changing tires with the seasons on one pair of rims gets old.

Don't knock something until you try it. The performance of the V6 blows me away. I had no expectation
of this 6 cyl engine having the drive power it has. I bought a V6 Mustang because it is a Mustang. The
average car purchase price in America is +$35K. For $24k this V6 will suck the grill off most of them.
Yeah price was right. The car was right. The look was right. The insurance and tax was right. Why not?

As a last mod, I will get an SCT tune and possibly an induction upgrade. I want the tune just because
i read Ford downtuned the V6 to keep the I4 Turbo the number two performer behind coyote.
Having said that. I have run 18,000 miles total stock PCM and plant. There is nothing about the
performance that begs to be changed. That was not true with the 4.6Liter GT. I was not happy with it
until i modified it. It is ever advancing engineering and technology. The V6 is ready to fly right out of the box.
So that is why i bought a V6 Mustang. I am happy with it. You may sneer and smear but I would not trade.

17V6.jpg
ford_100233891_l.jpg
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.